Thread: Loose tilt steering column - special tool

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Loose tilt steering column - special tool

The tilt column in the Daytona is at the point where I need to tear it apart and fix the side to side wobble. I've done this once on a past car many years ago and I seem to recall a special tool was required to keep a spring compressed during reassembly. Does anyone have pictures of it? Is it something I can make in a machine shop or rent? I just want to be prepared so I can get it done quickly and get back to enjoying it. Thanks!
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

Re: Loose tilt steering column - special tool

1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

It's the original 1989 column. Not sure what "old style" means.

The lock plate is what's bringing back memories (nightmares) now! I think the little lockring is what I fought with last time before someone told me there was a special tool for it. This Buick website looks like a hell of a good resource for tearing these things apart.
    Jon J.

turbo addict

years ago when the tool was only available from a GM dealer at 140 bucks (up here) I found an alternative at about 3AM one morning
    my car was stalling going around the bend of a drive thru every time I went there

you need a spare 2.2 t-stat housing

rather you need the bell and lower flange - cut the neck for the rad hose off but don't cut away any of the bell

now without cutting any of the flange you need to cut a window into the side of the bell so that you can access the c clip with the c clip pliers

the steering wheel nut should have enough diameter to push down on the bell if you only removed the neck of the T-stat housing
    you may or may not need a large washer, depending on the flange on the nut (if it has one)

DON'T cut away any of the flange to make the window - you need the flange to prevent the bell with the window from collapsing as you tighten the nut to push the modded t-stat housing down against the lockplate you need to remove (trust me on the flange - I ended up making a second one without cutting the flange)

works great for both removal and reinstalling the lockplate
    so well in fact 20 years later I still keep that same "tool" in my box in case it's needed again

three cuts with a hacksaw and a little clean up with a file
    1 cut to take the neck off and two to cut a chunk out of the side of the bell

cut the neck off straight so the "tool" pushes the lock plate evenly
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 08-15-2018 at 01:08 PM.

turbo addict

oh , and if the thought occurs to grease the cllm while it's apart use the silicone type not old fashioned axle grease as you'll regret it on a hot day LOL...

turbo addict

old type is the one without the glow ring ignition, it went away around 1989. The buick/GM I believe are from the same vendor.

the tool is easy enough to make as Johny suggests. you need to push the plate from the center shaft.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

That tool is usually available at most parts stores. It's a GM thing for a Saginaw column....retainer spring compressor or some such thing. There's also a pin puller installer IIRC that you need to get all the way down in the column to tighten those screws.

turbo addict

push with hand and pry with small screwdriver. I used a torx headed allen wrench, removed screws and installed with Socket head cap screws so I could use my ball headed allen wrench.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

The pin tool is cheap. Use some lock tite on the lower bolts so it doesn't come loose again.

https://www.mybumpertobumperstore.co...SABEgKrUfD_BwE

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just finished up - much better! It went pretty smoothly other than fiddling with the high beam pushrod that kept coming out of place. I was able to do everything with the column in place. Once I got the upper "cup" removed, I gently dangled it from the wiring harness, did my job, and put it all back. 4 generous dabs of red eff-you threadlocker and it's nice and tight now. Didn't even ed up pulling the battery - all I did was pull the horn fuse just in case.

Ended up grabbing the lock plate holder from Autozone. Did some research and found out the threaded hole in the pivot pins is 8-32, so I was able to make myself a super simple tool to pull them out. I slowly set them back in place with a large C clamp.

Related question: if these columns were used for 20 years across a ton of cars, is it possible that I could replace my turn signal stalk (no cruise control) with one from a different car? Even a GM?
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 08-16-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    Jon J.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I have a fair amount of experience with the columns. You can take the turn signal stalk out of any Chrysler and it bolts right in. The difference is in the connector under the dash for the cruise. They vary.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I just finished up - much better! It went pretty smoothly other than fiddling with the high beam pushrod that kept coming out of place. I was able to do everything with the column in place. Once I got the upper "cup" removed, I gently dangled it from the wiring harness, did my job, and put it all back. 4 generous dabs of red eff-you threadlocker and it's nice and tight now. Didn't even ed up pulling the battery - all I did was pull the horn fuse just in case.

Ended up grabbing the lock plate holder from Autozone. Did some research and found out the threaded hole in the pivot pins is 8-32, so I was able to make myself a super simple tool to pull them out. I slowly set them back in place with a large C clamp.

Related question: if these columns were used for 20 years across a ton of cars, is it possible that I could replace my turn signal stalk (no cruise control) with one from a different car? Even a GM?

4 generous dabs of red high-strength screw-you threadlocker and we're back in business.
    that high beam link rod stops dropping out if you put a dab of silicone on each end
    -I've had to do it to a few cars over the years

turn sig stalk is just two screws under the felt thingy covering the hole it goes into , plus strip the wiring / replace

with no cruise it's just the stock

as long as the metal inner rod is ok you can just replace the stalk cover sleave

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I have a fair amount of experience with the columns. You can take the turn signal stalk out of any Chrysler and it bolts right in. The difference is in the connector under the dash for the cruise. They vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    as long as the metal inner rod is ok you can just replace the stalk cover sleave
    Thanks guys. No cruise on mine, so it's pretty simple. It looks like just the sleeve is cracked since the turn signals, high beams, and wipers all work properly. Every one of these cars I've owned had that sleeve cracked at the mounting "ears" prior to my ownership. Didn't know if any good ones existed after 30 years.
    Jon J.

I just put a few hundred miles on this car today, and I feel foolish for waiting this long to fix the column. I swear the car feels better in the twisties now that I'm not having to compensate for the column moving around.
    Jon J.