Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires for auto-x

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Tires for auto-x

I had a lot of fun at a local auto-x event in my Shelby Lancer this past weekend. The car did great, but the tires seemed to be the weak point. Right now they are 10-year old Kumho ASX all-season tires, 215/45/17 mounted on aftermarket 17x7 Flik wheels. The tires actually aren't in bad shape because they were stored inside for most of those 10 years.

I think there is going to be another event this year yet, and it would be nice to try again with something a lot better. I want to keep the aforementioned 17" wheel/tire combo for the street and get some serious tires, hopefully for the SL's original CSS wheels (15x6.5). Can anybody recommend a size/brand that would work well? I've never bought these kind of tires before.

I was actually thinking of 205/50/15.....so I could use them on an Omni GLH Turbo too, but that is pretty small for the H-body.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Tires for auto-x

Aren't the RE71s the hot ticket these days?

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: Yep.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+R E-71R

Garrett booster

Is there a tread wear # limit? Like no under 200 allowed or is any tire that fits good?

Quote Originally Posted by Barraguy View Post
    Is there a tread wear # limit? Like no under 200 allowed or is any tire that fits good?
    So many events require 200 tread wear tires these days that it's a good idea if you want to be competitive.

turbo addict

I like my Dunlop direzza z2's but I've never autocrossed them. You won't find good tires on the stock SL size. I have 16's on mine.

This was just a local event, not sanctioned or anything. Just a run-what-ya-brung type deal with a very simple tech inspection. I'm sure I could get away with whatever.

That being said, the 'extreme' end of auto-x tires I'm seeing on TireRack are way expensive. The 205/50/15 seemed to be a popular size and could also be used on my GLH Turbo. I think they'd be OK on the SL in a pinch. I'll definitely look into the Bridgestone RE71 (seems to be a favorite of Mighty Car Mods iirc) and the Dunlop Direzza Z2.

turbo addict

The direzza z3 replaced the z2. I think I'm going to try these wheels on my lancer. They are pretty wide and have a different offset but I think they might work. It's hard to find wheels that look like the SL wheels. Strut clearance will remain the same. The only difference is they will stick out by 1.6 inches with a 225/45r16. Wish they had a polished lip.https://esmwheels.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=74

turbo addict

turbo addict

I would seek out an auto-X forum and see what those stie users are doing

I'd think the shorter tires should turn left & right easier but that may or may not be correct

searching tire sizes for my truck I found just typing "diameter of + the tire size" in question gets you a google search list that gets you straight to one of those tire size comparison sites

I was getting a tire site with dimensions , diameter , circumference and sidewall height & number of rotations per mile

turbo addict

I just came up with a good idea. I bought 1" wheel spacers for $23. I will get 1/2" worth of washers to move my wheels out 1.5" total. Then I'll bolt my current wheels up and see if it rubs at all.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I just came up with a good idea. I bought 1" wheel spacers for $23. I will get 1/2" worth of washers to move my wheels out 1.5" total. Then I'll bolt my current wheels up and see if it rubs at all.
    Half inch of washers on each studs??

turbo addict

Yes, just to set it on the ground to see if it rubs anywhere. Not gonna drive it like that lol. If it rubs, I won't bother ordering the new wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

The new wheels will stick out 1.5 inches further than my current wheels. Hence the 1" spacer + .5 washers to test for rubbing with my current wheels.

Re71 all the way, go to any autox event and a good chunk of people will have them. I'm currently on my second set.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

I've been looking around a lot and using tire size calculators. Hypothetical question.....what if I wanted to buy one set of tires that would work on a GLH Turbo and a Shelby Lancer? Is 225/50/15 a good size that will work for both? I know that is a compromise as far as ideal size for *either* car....but dang these are expensive.

The 225/50/15 will fit my SL's CSS wheels (15x6.5). I know they used that size for earlier Daytona Shelbys (I think) and I think they'd look great on the Lancer, even if they would look strangely large on a GLH. For this size I'm looking at Toyo Proxes 888R which have a 100 treadwear rating. I live in Wyoming so I'll never go to a legit auto-x course....just looking to have a lot of fun and make it more competitive I guess.

turbo addict

I would not run a 225 on a 6.5" wheel. I think it would performance worse than a 205 on a 6.5 wheel. Even my 205's bulge out a little bit on my 6.5 wheel. Think about it, 205mm is about 8 inches. Miata guys regularly run 205's on 7-8" wheels and 225's on 9" wheels.

I too don't like the 225 on that narrow of a wheel. I have some 225/45r16s on 7" wide RPF1s and they're good, but an 8" wheel would be way better.

Thanks guys. It looks like 205/50/15 are the way to go. I need to buy new tires for the gold GLH Turbo anyway. I take it they would be a little better mounted on the 6.5" CSS wheels, rather than the 6" pizza wheels I have? For a more rigid sidewall?

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Thanks guys. It looks like 205/50/15 are the way to go. I need to buy new tires for the gold GLH Turbo anyway. I take it they would be a little better mounted on the 6.5" CSS wheels, rather than the 6" pizza wheels I have? For a more rigid sidewall?
    Unless there is a big weight difference between the two, then yes, the 6.5" wheel would be a much better choice.

Hybrid booster

I just put a set of 225-45-15 Toyo R1R's on my Shelby Charger with stock 6" wheels. They have a 200 tread wear.

They work great for me even though a wider wheel would be better but i wouldn't hesitate to put a 225 on a 6.5 inch wheeel, that's what came stock on Daytona's in the later years with 6.5" wheels.

turbo addict

This is a 205/50r16 on a 6.5" wheel. 225 would stick out even more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast