Thread: Type of phenolic for gaskets/spacers

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Type of phenolic for gaskets/spacers

I need to make a new TBI base gasket amongst other things... Cutting it is not a problem

Curious as to what everyone else has used for phenolic material since there are so many variations. Flame retardant ? moisture resistance ? heat rating ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

Re: Type of phenolic for gaskets/spacers

Just don't breathe the dust when you cut it...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Just don't breathe the dust when you cut it...
    Mr. Omax does that for me
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Good question. It has so many applications and its composition can vary so widely.
    Attached is a data sheet for "G11" good to 350* from Alro, maybe call them.
    The resin that binds the fiberglass is the weak point while the ablative characteristic of the glass fiber is a strong point
    Phenolic is used for space capsule re-entry shielding so there must be higher temp rated
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

G10 or fr4.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I'll second the vote for FR-4. It's V0 flame retardant. It's almost universally used in PCB fabs, so I would guess it's nearly moisture-proof.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

I want to make a spacer/insulator for the lower half of our 8 valve intake manifolds - at the head. For ease of fabrication, that likely means that it would also serve for the exhaust manifold. And that means that the G10/G11/FR-4 products, although ablative, have max heat in the 300* - 350* range, and so are not high enough. Or, am I overestimating the temps? Maybe a donut kind of heat shield inlayed/inserted into the ID of the spacer at each exhaust port?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Since the exhaust manifolds can glow, I don't think that the temp range you listed is too high.

turbo addict

if you space out the manifolds you'll have to figure out where to move the bolt holes because the intake doesn't hit the head square so you'll have a turn in flow where the spacer is unless you raise the intake. I'm not sure about the exhaust.

turbo addict

cast iron glows at 900*F

turbo addict

Spacing at the head might be more trouble than it's worth. I'd probably just rig up a heatshield and use a plenum spacer (if it's a 2 piece lower). I made a few of these but nobody seems to want any.

Well, I made one and, by a laser thermometer, it works. Not that easy to make.
    If you still have one for sale, I'll buy another.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

Your pm box is full johnl

John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Garrett booster

Does anyone have any phenolic spacers for the 2-piece?

And how thick of a spacer can I go?

I have an 89 Daytona.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk