Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My '90 Plymouth Voyager: suspension and brakes content

turbo addict

Re: My '90 Plymouth Voyager: suspension and brakes content

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    Yes. It has a LOT more in it, but I can't rev past 5000 RPM. Converter? Too much backpressure from small turbo?
    Did you ever solve this?
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...500&highlight=

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Yes. It has a LOT more in it, but I can't rev past 5000 RPM. Converter? Too much backpressure from small turbo?
    Not familiar with Big Stuff, but are you sure it is being limited by revs? Not a speed limiter? Happens in all gears?
    What happens at 5000rpm?
    Are you logging?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Wheming, I wasn't logging at the track, but I saw what it was doing while looking at the RPM and AFR at the dyno. We probably made 40 pulls with it.
    I don't have any wires hooked to the trans, so I don't know how it would limit at a certain speed. Apparently, I was having this exact issue even before I put the Big Stuff on. It does happen in all gears (first is so quick I can't really feel it there), but it definitely happens in 2nd and high gear.
    Tryingbe, NO! I forgot about that! It is the exact same issue. I went back and read the other post you reminded me of.....gonna look further at all of that.

- - - Updated - - -

At 5000 RPM it just stays there; can't push past it. It may happen at different RPM, but it is always still really close to 5K. It changes based on boost. The higher I go with the boost, the higher it will go in RPM before it hangs. After a second or two of hanging, the AFR gets a little richer....goes from 11.2 to 10.5 about.

turbo addict

Everything I can think of has already been brought up. Will it rev past 5k in neutral? If not, then it's not load based and I would suspect valve springs or something in the tune preventing it from going any higher. If it does, then yeah, I'd say exhaust restriction.

I am running Forward Motion, Inc.'s Enforcer II turbo. I have the .63 A/R turbine housing on it. I am using a Turbos Unleashed 3" swing valve with 3" exhaust behind it. The exhaust past the SV is about 30" long with no cat or muffler.
    This does have a ported head and modified intake. I am running a 475 cam from Forward Motion.
    Any thoughts on restriction using these parts?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I am running Forward Motion, Inc.'s Enforcer II turbo. I have the .63 A/R turbine housing on it. I am using a Turbos Unleashed 3" swing valve with 3" exhaust behind it. The exhaust past the SV is about 30" long with no cat or muffler.
    This does have a ported head and modified intake. I am running a 475 cam from Forward Motion.
    Any thoughts on restriction using these parts?
    Did you degree the cam? Do you have an adjustable cam gear?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

sounds like it may be valve springs... .or cam timing.

turbo addict

I'm putting my money on valve springs. Replace them, I bet you rev until it spits rockers...

I did not degree my cam. With the last build, I had the same problem I am having now. Tryingbe reminded me that I had this same problem with the last set-up. I think it is time that I degree my cam. I have an adjustable cam gear that I was using with the old set-up, but I am using a stock cam gear now. I had Mike DeMoss at Forward Motion look my head over when I bought my short block. The head was good.
    I already have the Mopar 061 springs and I don't even think they have 100 miles on them yet. However, I think I will pull the valve cover and give the valves a push to see if they are consistent and hard to push down.
    I am trying to actually diagnose my problem instead of just guessing and throwing parts at it.
    Again, thanks for all the input! I am out of town right now, but hope to have some time to investigate next week.
    Thanks!!!!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

even if you didnt degree your cam, if you put an adjustable cam gear on and retarded it significantly and it made your powerband rise, it would help you diagnose and it would be quick and easy.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

So glad I came across this thread. I got with Rich and he had a couple set of the van mounts left so I ordered the coil overs for the front. Im gonna have my fab guy build me a rear axle like this, but we are going to use the front bolt on hubs and make a mount to run disks out back.

I didnt order the rear coil overs, but my plan for the rear is to run some double adjustable vikings to help dial in suspension for drag racing, but still be able to adjust down to drive daily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12