Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1991 Dodge Spirit ES Turbo 5spd Project

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: 1991 Dodge Spirit ES Turbo 5spd Project

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Cool, thanks for sharing. Isn't that Gus's old "Blackie" in the first pic?
    Yes! And if you look closely you can see Slug behind my Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Wow, some Old School stuff going on right there!

Looks like parking is pretty tight around your place Wayne...…….
    I should have took one of the stock modified (now 45psi) FPR. You don't see those everyday.
    And yes, I wish I had more driveway and garage space!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I thought I had posted an update after some time of the fuel pump replacement, but I don't see it.
    The fuel pump seemed to fix the intermittent starting problems for a while, but after about 6 months or so it did the same thing, with that code F1-01 on the traveler. I ended up trying a different SBEC, and that seemed to do the trick. So not sure if there was a problem with my original SBEC, or if I improved things with the R&R and reseating the connections. (I can't remember if I tried swapping back, but I probably did.)
    After the different ecu seemed to fix this, I did upgrade to a flashable SBEC. So right now it just has the same stock cal but Turbonator loaded into it. I still need to fix the EMR and reflash it.

Although I have not investigated it, the 2.5 has some blowby and had been running crappy and sometimes noticeably burning some oil. I think I probably have a bad piston. This build had stock cast pistons. The last time this was rebuilt was probably 1998 and the stock Mahle pistons were still available.
    The car also appears to be in need of new engine/trans mounts, and the front suspension needs some work too. Of course the paint has succumbed to the ages.

I've not registered or driven the car in several years now, but would like to. I've had this since 1996 and we've been through alot!

With the recent totaling of my PT GT from a deer running into me, I have a donor 2.4T that could find its way into the Spirit ES. I think I would go with an auto though, as I planned to convert it to auto at some point anyway. I always hated I could never run 12's in this car, even though I have trapped over 109 mph.
    But there is a chance I might get this 2.5 or another spare block rebuilt and just drive again with the 5spd and cast pistons as a healthy daily. That would be the easiest thing. I wouldn't race it again with the 5spd, as I got tired of damaging things. And with a 2.4 swap I would need a 31TH, and get it built, and would go with MegaSquirt for the engine management. So all of that would likely be more money than a quick 2.5 shortblock rebuild. I guess I could do the entire PT GT drivetrain swap, but would have to use the PT engine wiring. I don't know if megasquirt could control the 41TE, so figured the 31TH would be a better option with some .91 transfer gears for some nicer highway cruising.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

turbo addict

MS cannot control the 41TE. There are no known controllers currently available. There was one *many* years ago, but it was strictly for racing as it had no adaptive capabilities to account for normal wear, so constant tweaking was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    MS cannot control the 41TE. There are no known controllers currently available. There was one *many* years ago, but it was strictly for racing as it had no adaptive capabilities to account for normal wear, so constant tweaking was needed.
    I didn't really think it could. And now that you mention it, I think I remember an old thread discussing the trans control.

Probably better off with a 31TH non-lockup built for street/strip.

Wayne H.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

MS used to be able to control the 41TE but there wasnt anyone that was available to test and help tweak the implementation other than Una and he cooked his 41TE trying so i think they pulled the code from regular Megashift builds.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Mystery finally solved!
    Thanks to chromguy, I now know for sure my stock SBEC was in fact going bad.
    Don't really know why it would start at times, but then must have failed altogether.
    The replacement SBEC had worked, and the flashable SBEC my brother DanH built had been working fine. Got my arm twisted into selling my flashable SBEC to a member in dire need.

Anyway here are some pics of the damaged SBEC.

I forgot this SBEC was possibly bad, and was using it for the MPFlash SBEC testbed. And I couldn't get the SBEC to take a flash.

So, back to looking for a good working turbo SBEC for my testing!

Last edited by wheming; 05-11-2022 at 02:14 AM.
    Wayne H.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12