Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air/water intercooler sources

turbo addict

Re: Air/water intercooler sources

Throw in a layer of aluminum between them.

-that would be your intercooler core it's self
    so now you've added the most dense part of the equation solid al
    now you have to exchange heat from gas to solid and then to water , back to a solid and then back to air once again

it's not just transfer from gas to fliud

turbo addict

Oh god...thermodynamics! AAHHHH!!!! LOL

As for the "hot spots"....the closed system is under pressure. This raises the boiling point (just like a pressure cooker). Yes, the metal still gets hot enough to boil the coolant if its stagnant, but that shouldn't happen with a properly designed and functioning system.

As for how fast the coolant flows through the heat exchanger...different materials have different heat rejection rates. It is totally FALSE to say that the coolant can go through at whatever speed and still do the job. This is simply not true! If the coolant if forced through an exchanger too fast, it will not have enough time to reject the amount of heat needed to keep the temperatures in check as it will just continue to build heat until it reaches its boiling point or equilibrium.

Heat transfer rate is Calories/(m^2*sec).... velocity (m/s) has nothing to do with cooling? Huh....

http://www.endmemo.com/physics/heattransfer.php

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

This topic is very, very complex including laminar vs turbulent flow heat transfer rate, materials etc., Due to the complexity of each system, it is easier to measure the temperature in vs out of each system of adjust accordingly.
    Personally I would like to see the real world data....reminds me of a few sayings of W. Edwards Deming, he had a sense of humour....In God we trust..all others must bring data!
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    I would agree with this, based on the numbers I was seeing with my Frozenboost A/W IC. Pressure drop across it was 3-4 psi at 20+ psi of boost, and the cooling was not very good.

Once I upgraded to a much larger Bell core (everything else the same), I haven't seen over 1.5 psi of pressure drop and I have seen over 230 degree temperature drops, even with 100 degree water temps. From the logs I have currently, it looks like the output temps are 10-15 degrees above the water temp.

Pics of said intercooler? I'm going water/air in my Shelby Lancer and with a GT30R/ported head/tbi header want to have a good i/c.

Hybrid booster

I just went through and installed my air to water intercooler setup, but have yet to actually test it at the track or on a running car. My setup is a bit different than others here but the setup is essentially the same. Im running the type 3 intercooler from frozen boost, a CX racing heat exchanger, Bosch pump, and frozen boost ice box. Heres a video i made going over the whole thing. With a little bit of ice in the ice box, it gets cold enough to make the intercooler and heat exchanger sweat.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I dunno about that long brass fitting sticking out of the tank, vibration could cause it to crack and break off after a while. Happened to a friend in his Omni, except with more disastrous results since it was in the oiling system (brass tee for a gauge, lasted like 10 miles).
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

Mines all mockup and whatnot so i could figure out routing and stuff. That big hole will be sealed and it'll have rubber grommets around there to combat the vibrations

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Pics of said intercooler? I'm going water/air in my Shelby Lancer and with a GT30R/ported head/tbi header want to have a good i/c.

Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

That's pretty awesome!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    That's pretty awesome!
    I agree. That is an awesome piece.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Warren,
    THAT is beauty
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Does anyone know what the differences are between the FrozenBoost/Ebay AWIC's and the OEM AWICs - for Ford/GM V8s, in terms of fin count or other important factors? Warren, your Bell core is larger, is the fin count greater than the FrozenBoost unit you replaced?

Then, Detroits V8 IC cores, and heat exchangers are of modest size and their Bosch pumps are apparently good enough for them, and our HP targets are in the same ballpark, if not lower. The only big variable is our higher boost and that presumably relates to CFM/mass, I don't know how much the difference is .. . but that seem critical in terms of moving calories
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Does anyone know what the differences are between the FrozenBoost/Ebay AWIC's and the OEM AWICs - for Ford/GM V8s, in terms of fin count or other important factors? Warren, your Bell core is larger, is the fin count greater than the FrozenBoost unit you replaced?

Then, Detroits V8 IC cores, and heat exchangers are of modest size and their Bosch pumps are apparently good enough for them, and our HP targets are in the same ballpark, if not lower. The only big variable is our higher boost and that presumably relates to CFM/mass, I don't know how much the difference is .. . but that seem critical in terms of moving calories
    Port flow variables asside. 6.2L V8 can make 707hp at a much lower boost pressure than a 2.2-2.4 4cylinder. Demand for CFM could be similar, but temperatures would be greatly different. The more you you compress air, the hotter it gets.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Yes, thanks Mike, I should have thought of that - "follow the heat," as they say.

So, similar mass but way more calories in that mass means that the rate of heat transfer must be increased. Ways to do that - greater coolant delta with more heat exchanger capacity and/or bigger IC core.

The Ramerati build has a 4.5 x 4.5 x 9.0 AW core which it now appears lacks capacity, so, at this stage, I'm wondering how much benefit I can get by adding heat exchanger capacity. I need to get the darn thing running and let the twin thermocouples' in/out deltas speak. With twin MAP sensors, I'll be able to report on I/O pressure drop too.
    Last edited by johnl; 07-25-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

John,

I don't really know about the fin count of the Bell core (the raw core was shipped directly to the fabricator so I didn't get a chance to measure/count them). One thing that I do know is that when I spoke to Gerhard Schruf at Bell about the cooler and told him I was looking to run 30+ psi of boost, he highly recommended the 6" core (airflow distance - bottom to top in my application) because it would cool much better than their 4.5" core. Based on the cooling results I would guess that the fin count is higher, but that could also be a function of the larger core also.

For reference, the core I used is part number AW600053120 (6" tall x 5.3" wide x 12"deep).
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

turbo addict

fin count don't count for much (louvers in them and fin height vs number of tubes in stack height mean more)

think tube size and number of tubes

a larger core will simply offer more of one, the other, or both

larger tube offers more volume, less restriction and more fin to tube contact (if wider)

Yes, thanks Mike, I should have thought of that - "follow the heat," as they say.

So, similar mass but way more calories in that mass means that the rate of heat transfer must be increased. Ways to do that - greater coolant delta with more heat exchanger capacity and/or bigger IC core.

The Ramerati build has a 4.5 x 4.5 x 9.0 AW core which it now appears lacks capacity, so, at this stage, I'm wondering how much benefit I can get by adding heat exchanger capacity. I need to get the darn thing running and let the twin thermocouples' in/out deltas speak. With twin MAP sensors, I'll be able to report on I/O pressure drop too.
    The only way to really know what needs to be improved is to add sensors everywhere. You'd need temp sensors in and out of the intercooler and out of the heat exchanger. As well temp and pressure sensors for air in and out of the intercooler, and an ambient air temp sensor.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Mike

pic of combo temp and pressure sensor on IM and compressor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5713.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	62921  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Two more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5709.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	62923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5712.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	62924  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Nice!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123