Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air/water intercooler sources

Garrett booster

Air/water intercooler sources

Any input on sources for an air/water intercoolers? So far Ive found Frozenboost for complete (fully welded/assembled) units, and Garrett has exchanger cores that require full fabrication of both air and water sides. The EBAY ads I've seen have the exact same description as the frozenboost, so I would think its the same company or someone reselling them.

Frozenboost has really good prices, but not sure about the quality. Does anyone have one they can comment on?

The Garrett cores I assume to be great quality, but are much more money and will require lots of time and welding to get to a usable point.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Air/water intercooler sources

I don't personally have one, but I have seen a lot of guys post that the Frozenboost stuff is good quality.

Not sure what that is worth, but...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Precision Turbo has high quality units.

I am using a Frozenboost intercooler. It's working for me, but I don't know that a name-brand one wouldn't work better.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

What's your power goal?

AJ used a frozenboost water to air intercooler and then I noticed his intake temp was out of control in the 1/4 mile (over 180F).

He took it out, installed and air to air intercooler and made more power on the dyno. Not sure where the bottleneck was on his air to water intercooler system was, he didn't want to troubleshoot it.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ild&highlight=
    Last edited by tryingbe; 07-11-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

i run the frozenboost set up here too and the quality isn't top notch but it does work. So far I haven't ever had problems.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

It should be noted that Frozenboost offers many different sizes and configurations. They have different horsepower ratings... although the method at which these ratings are assigned is unknown. I was advised by the fast guys that use them to get one rated for twice the power I intended to make, so I got a type 5 "rated at 1200" hp.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I was going to mention AJ's experience with Frozenboost. I will also say that others seem to run their stuff with decent results, but I don't know if they are actually datalogging the IAT's. Warren Hall swapped out his Frozenboost core to a Bell core and noted a significant improvement in heat rejection. Just something to keep in mind...

I cannot recall the specific conditions at drag day at SDAC 28, but with the turbo sucking hot underhood air, my charge temp through the traps was 108 degrees at 24psi.

I think Warren's concern was more with pressure drop. He had some high numbers with this Frozenboost intercooler.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Garrett booster

Thanks for all the good info so far.

Guess I should have stated my goals up front. It will be a 2.4l/ 5 speed and hoping to tune it to about 300+Hp. It will be street driven and probably never see a track of any kind. Basically my set up will go from the turbo, turn 90 degrees into this: http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water...ler-p-209.html and 90 again straight into the intake. There is a nearly identical set up being built in the project forum.

If what has been mentioned is true, they have a 4.5" core set up for the same price rated at 600 hp so that would probably be the way to go. As stated by someone else I don't know where they get those numbers from. I have enough invested in the air/water plan that I intend to see it through. The only part really left to purchase is the actual air cooler.

turbo addict

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=1#post1138530

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    I used to have the Frozenboost Type 3 (4.5"x4.5"x10 core) in my CSX, with the type 101 (7" high x 3.5" thick) heat exchanger and about 3-4 gallons of capacity. At around 30psi on a GT3040 I was getting 120-125degF temp drop but around 3psi of pressure drop, and 125degF intake temps (measured using type K thermocouples on a 50 degree day with 85degF water temps).

I replaced the Frozenboost I/C with a custom A/W IC with a Bell core (6" x 5.3" x 12"), and on a 90 degree day in Memphis with about 25psi of boost and saw over 200 degF temperature drops and 140degF intake temps even with 126degF water temps. Unfortunately my pressure sensors have not been working so I haven't been able to log pressure drops yet.

Just some data points, but the larger Bell core cools SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Frozenboost cooler did.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=1#post1138531
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post

I had the F.B. type 3 IC too and the type 117 (12"X12"X2") heat exchanger. I figured my IC was too small but to fit a lager IC it would have taken way to much re-engineering to make it work and even then it would have been a guess. With an air to air it took probably the same amount of re-engineering (spent 50-60 hours one week on it) but also freed up a lot of space in my engine compartment. Plus the air to air is proven so I went that route.

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    I used to have the Frozenboost Type 3 (4.5"x4.5"x10 core) in my CSX, with the type 101 (7" high x 3.5" thick) heat exchanger and about 3-4 gallons of capacity. At around 30psi on a GT3040 I was getting 120-125degF temp drop but around 3psi of pressure drop, and 125degF intake temps (measured using type K thermocouples on a 50 degree day with 85degF water temps).

I replaced the Frozenboost I/C with a custom A/W IC with a Bell core (6" x 5.3" x 12"), and on a 90 degree day in Memphis with about 25psi of boost and saw over 200 degF temperature drops and 140degF intake temps even with 126degF water temps. Unfortunately my pressure sensors have not been working so I haven't been able to log pressure drops yet.

Just some data points, but the larger Bell core cools SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Frozenboost cooler did.
    Warren's improvements in cooling are certainly significant, even when you consider that the Bell core was nearly twice the size of the Frozenboost core it replaced. It will be interesting to see the improvements in pressure drop as well when the data becomes available.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

do you guys think laying the air to water intercooler on it's side would have any negative effect?

thinking there would be A LOT of space over the trans, inner fender and 2/3's of the battery tray (with a small battery pushed flat against the smec)
    this would allow a much bigger a-w intercooler than trying to put it in the o-e filter location

and then I still get to use the factory air filter location next to the head to build an open top filter box that feeds from a simple hood scoop

I could also then eliminate the 90* bend with two 45's and a tube going into the throttle body as the inlet tube would be much closer to the strut tower

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    do you guys think laying the air to water intercooler on it's side would have any negative effect?

thinking there would be A LOT of space over the trans, inner fender and 2/3's of the battery tray (with a small battery pushed flat against the smec)
    this would allow a much bigger a-w intercooler than trying to put it in the o-e filter location

and then I still get to use the factory air filter location next to the head to build an open top filter box that feeds from a simple hood scoop

I could also then eliminate the 90* bend with two 45's and a tube going into the throttle body as the inlet tube would be much closer to the strut tower
    As long as it is oriented and plumbed so that it would not trap air, I don't think it should matter.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

thanks
    a bung and a plug right on top should solve any bubble issues I'd think

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    thanks
    a bung and a plug right on top should solve any bubble issues I'd think
    yup. As long as it's a closed system.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I'm remounting my frozenboost cooler horizontally with the new TIII setup.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

adding an easter egg
    the small battery I found is 6" long, 5" tall and 3' wide
    rated either for 700 or 780 CCA

lightweight lithium at 3 ish pounds

it's not cheep at 400 plus and a charger for 50 bucks but I think it will make up for the weight of the a-w cooler beside it ok

brand name is Antigravity

they make bike batteries but the 700 and 780 are for race cars

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Like tryingbe said, I ran a Frozen Boost AWIC that was "suppose" to be good for 600 hp and at 340 hp I was seeing 180*-200* temps by the end of the 1/4 mile track. I would say cut whatever horse power rating they are advertising in half and you'll be closer to accurate. My new air to air Treadstone 1000 hp IC is 20*-40* cooler on a day that had 20* hotter ambient air temps and I picked up 26 hp and 20 ft/lbs of torque.

On a side note, I was very happy with the around town results, just not at the track.

If you do get one, a couple of tips for plumbing, make sure the pump is the lowest point in the system and have the pump push through the intercooler directly, nothing in between the IC and pump. Also any high spots, have a bleed that goes back to the reservoir. It makes bleeding the system easier.

CX racing also has AWICs and they are close to the same price or better than Frozen Boost. https://www.cxracing.com/liquid-to-air-intercooler-pump

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Pics of fill/air bleed tank set up. Tank in upper left corner of first pic. Pump is located with exchanger at bumper. Barb for 3/8" hose to air bleed/fill tank at top of IC is seen near turbo intake on side of IC in second pic. A 3/8" tee in the 3/4" coolant hose connects to the other side of the bleed/fill tank. After a half hour of running, coolant in bleed tank runs clear, bubble free.

AJ, I wonder if pump flow rate could have been an issue.

I ran a test; through the IC and the exchanger got 12 gallons/minute at 15 volts. More pics attached.

Edit - I reviewed AJs build thread and see that he used a plate cooler too. AJ, somehow I missed it's purpose?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery Relocation & Turbo Intake Pipe 007.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	865.3 KB 
ID:	62889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage Bumper Coolers 034.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	62886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 056.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	62887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW IC Pump Testing 031.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	62893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW IC Pump Testing 019.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	62894  
    Last edited by johnl; 07-25-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    AJ, I wonder if pump flow rate could have been an issue.
    I ran the Bosch cobra pump. I installed a higher flowing water pump and cooling went down, my intake air temp went up. This is the pump I "upgraded" to: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...iABEgIe4vD_BwE
    It did flow flow more, I did a back to back test. I ended up putting the Bosch pump back in. After I wasted $200+ dollars on this pump I decided I wasn't going to invest anymore into trying to find out what my lack of cooling problem was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast