Thread: Cruise Control, Clutch Switch and Neutral Safety Switch Lead Grounding

Mitsu booster

Cruise Control, Clutch Switch and Neutral Safety Switch Lead Grounding

From what I've dug up here and other sites, the Neutral Safety Switch Brown/Yellow (SMEC Pin 30, Circuit S4) wire is grounded during auto-manual swaps. Not grounding this leads to a no-crank situation.

Grounding this also disables cruise control. A few guys have installed clutch switches. These serve three purposes, 1) the clutch must be depressed in order to crank (avoid accidental starts in gear), 2) restore cruise control with the clutch out and 3) disable cruise when the clutch is depressed...

My car went through an auto-manual swap a couple owners ago. It also has a "Rob-Cal" (BoostButton?). My cruise doesn't work and I'd like to fix it.

I figured the easiest place to start would be by opening the NSS circuit and see if it cranks. I did and it still cranks.

Is it possible that the calibration is programmed to disregard the NSS?

If so, my next step is to try a different cal along with a clutch switch to restore cruise...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Cruise Control, Clutch Switch and Neutral Safety Switch Lead Grounding

I'd have to look at the diagrams, but you don't need a clutch switch to have cruise.

Hybrid booster

i thought a remember something about the cruise being built into the board.. and not the program..
    if your computer board itself came from a non cruise car you could have issues.

something about the S60's computers being hit or miss on cruise control working..\
    since most were built on core computers. if it was made on an cruise computer you were good.
    if it was originally a non cruise board you were screwed..

dunoo..

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    i thought a remember something about the cruise being built into the board.. and not the program..
    if your computer board itself came from a non cruise car you could have issues.

something about the S60's computers being hit or miss on cruise control working..\
    since most were built on core computers. if it was made on an cruise computer you were good.
    if it was originally a non cruise board you were screwed..

dunoo..
    This is true. If your ECU is based off a non-cruise control ecu, then it won't work.

So if the OP has a 5-speed tune in an ecu that was from a non-cruise vehicle, then it won't work. The clutch switch is only needed if you are running an auto ECU(with cruise) in a stick car.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the replies.

If it cranks with an open NSS wire is it a 5 speed SMEC? Or is there something in the calibration that can bypass this?

Is there anything I can look for in the SMEC to determine if it's cruise capable?

From what I've read, an auto SMEC needs the NSS wire grounded to crank.

I don't know for ure, but I was always under the impression that the computers could all operate cruise. It makes zero sense to use cruse and non-cruise boards. I don't think it would save money and would actually cause a lot of problems on the line.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I don't know for ure, but I was always under the impression that the computers could all operate cruise. It makes zero sense to use cruse and non-cruise boards. I don't think it would save money and would actually cause a lot of problems on the line.
    That's what I was thinking, too. The savings are in the servo / wiring / switches. Also, I believe that there were Mopar kits available to add cruise which I doubt included a computer. Stranger things have happened though.

This car has all the components for cruise. If it had no chance of working / wasn't intended to be used I think the original owner / builder would have deleted everything. This is why I suspect the cal (or maybe something I haven't checked yet).

There is a check box in MPTune to enable the cruise.