Thread: Hep

Garrett booster

Hep

My hep is acting I put in my spare the car will run and and stop no spark I put in the other one car will crank right up run for awhile and cut off.I think the problem is the wiring going into the hep is there a way to change the wires or harness.This is on a 1990 Dodge spirit 2.5 T1

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Hep

I've installed different connectors at the HEP before. The down side to it is that there is some work to determine which wire is which coming out of the stock connectors. In addition to that, you have to install a like connector on any new HEP you drop in.

Since I rarely have problems with my HEPs, I've elected to just keep the connectors stock on my vehicles these days. If you're having trouble with the actual connectors, you might try gently attempting to tighten up the barrels of the harness side. If the problem is the actual wiring, I would just splice in new sections of wire where the old stuff is bad.

Garrett booster

Smile Re: Hep

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I've installed different connectors at the HEP before. The down side to it is that there is some work to determine which wire is which coming out of the stock connectors. In addition to that, you have to install a like connector on any new HEP you drop in.

Since I rarely have problems with my HEPs, I've elected to just keep the connectors stock on my vehicles these days. If you're having trouble with the actual connectors, you might try gently attempting to tighten up the barrels of the harness side. If the problem is the actual wiring, I would just splice in new sections of wire where the old stuff is bad.
    Thank's Cordes I tighten up the barrels and cleaned them up and she ran smooth no issues.I have a new one HEP coming from Rock Auto Monday but I think I will leave this one on there I have had it for many years never an issue.

I would see if you can find any original HEP's from the junkyard. New HEP's do not seem to work like the old ones. And always keep one in your car for spare.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman87 View Post
    New HEP's do not seem to work like the old ones. And always keep one in your car for spare.
    Absolutely the truth on both accounts! Keep an extra pickup and a stubby #2 Philips screwdriver in the glovebox. Also, the new ones are garbage.

I installed an aftermarket one on my car, car started right up, took it for a ride, got on the highway and I was nearly soiling myself over EGTs. Timing was off a whopping 6 degrees with the aftermarket pickup! I can't believe it ran as well as it did.

Like many other people, I found out soon after that my issue at the time was something other than the HEP. But... what are we conditioned to automatically blame?
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!