Thread: LM GLHS calibrations

turbo addict

LM GLHS calibrations

I was helping another member with his GLH which he just did a blow through conversion and changed over to GLHS calibration. We have 2 Logic modules. One is a MP stage 2 GLHS (a loaner from another member) and the other has been socketed (both upper and lower) and we burned GLHSstgII cal to it and set the auto flags. No other changes.

The loaner computer runs extremely well and doesn't seem to ping any under hard acceleration.

The one we burned doesn't seem to pull quite a hard and has audible knock (ping) despite having the same AFRs according to the wideband.

My question is, are there different "stage 2" calibration IDs? It should the exact same cal but does not run the same.

Thoughts?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: LM GLHS calibrations

There's only 1 GLHS Stage II cal that I'm aware of. What are the CalID's?

640 should be the Stage II
    017 is stock '86 GLHS...

There's also an S60 GLHS cal. But, that would require a 3-bar MAP, injectors, etc. I doubt that's it...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I've found that no two logic modules run the same. I tried six different 86 Mopar Performance logic modules (P4529871) in my GLH last year. Each made the car run differently. Some would knock at high RPM, some would run rough and rich at idle.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    I've found that no two logic modules run the same. I tried six different 86 Mopar Performance logic modules (P4529871) in my GLH last year. Each made the car run differently. Some would knock at high RPM, some would run rough and rich at idle.
    WOW, do you have an idea why???
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    WOW, do you have an idea why???
    I haven't any idea, but I have found a difference in them too. I've had a lot of problems with them lately causing the car to run differently from one to the next. Most of them have died while not looking bad outwardly. This thread has certainly piqued my interest.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I haven't any idea, but I have found a difference in them too. I've had a lot of problems with them lately causing the car to run differently from one to the next. Most of them have died while not looking bad outwardly. This thread has certainly piqued my interest.
    have you found this with smecs too? or did you just have some of those the just outright failed? (thinking of your smec failure thread.....)

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    That's why I was wondering if there were different cal ids. Its pretty crazy. no explainable reason. Even with the same fuel ratios it runs completely different. Frustrating

Mitsu booster

Yes it certainly is frustrating! Not sure what the id's are of the mopar GLHS stage 2 L.M. are just p/n ends with 670. The calibration we put in a socketed upper & lower L.M. is the 86-87 glhs stage 2 calibration with boost cutout removed.

turbo addict

ok , if two lm's run differently when installed - do they still run differently if left in for a week and get driven?

I'm wondering if the "learning" function might be the root of this

Mitsu booster

As I drive the l.m. with the burned GLHS 2 calibrations. It seems after some driving it'll start to spark knock a bit more. The mopar l.m. only knocked at 1st slightly then was fine after some driving. Im not so sure the l.m. board we are using isn't wacky to begin with. It randomly missing at light throttle about 55 mph & up in certin spots more less throttle will clear it up. The mopar l.m. never did that that I noticed.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    have you found this with smecs too? or did you just have some of those the just outright failed? (thinking of your smec failure thread.....)

Brian
    I haven't had a SMEC fail in a long time. All of my LMs are dying though. It's quite troubling, as I'm down to one good one.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I think the lack of consistency is caused by old components and unknown history of used parts. A surge or short here and there over time will cause issues with a computer.
    Theres always the questionable quality control of the 80’s as well.

turbo addict

My friend bought a 85 GLHT new. As soon as the DC logic modules came out he bought one. About the same time as the DC LM coming available, I bought a 85 GLHT ( I wanted in on that fun)! Still have that GLHT. I then too bought the same logic module. The 85 DC module was extremely aggressive. Both our cars dropped eight tenths of a second just installing the LM with no other changes! My friends LM died after a couple years and he bought a replacement. The second LM wasn't anywhere near as aggressive. To test, we put my DC LM into his car and his GLHT's performance was right back before the LM died. I know the 86 stage II LM was no where near the gain that the 85 was. My car would whoop some GLHT butt on 86 GLHT's, so I'm pretty sure changes were made to LM's over time.
    Todd

turbo addict

+1
    my 85 DC lm was a beast in my mostly otherwise stock log turbo coverted turismo

first time I took a couple of buddies for a ride we did the before n after thing swaping the LM's on the side of the road

to say they were stuned in the day (1990) by a simple computer swap is an understatement ..

NEVER lost a stoplight accelleration contest with any 5.0 mustang - in fact I even had a couple chase after me to find out exactly how my little turismo smoked them

(being able to cut a good light on a three second light changeover helps alot lol)

turbo addict

Probably a different ignition timing table. No way to compare unless someone would step up to provide the ECUs, then the chips can be desolder and code read on them.