Thread: WTB: cam gear holder tool

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

WTB: cam gear holder tool

I'm looking to buy a cam gear holder tool. They show a picture of it in the factory service manual and I've always wanted/needed one. For now I use a hook spanner (works), but you can't use it with the belt in place. I don't know if these tools are still available, but if somebody could make one I'd buy it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: WTB: cam gear holder tool

It's been many many years ago, but my girlfriend (now wife) bought me one from a MAC Tool truck. I later bought the adapter for the round-tooth gears off ebay. Your best bet may be to type the part numbers from the FSM into Google and see what pops up.

turbo addict

If you can't find one to buy, I'm sure you could fashion one out of a piece of metal and two bolts held in with nuts.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Jeremy,
    If you decide to make one, you can design it so it will fit both 4 hole and 6 hole cam sprockets as well as my Masi adj. sprockets that you've purchased. Here is one I made like 25+ years ago. Took like an hour to make start to finish. If your not a welder, you can still do all the fabricating, and have someone weld it up for you in like 5 minutes.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2901.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	62728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2902.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	62727  

turbo addict

cut a slot in each of those dowels so you can insert a square ended xacto knife blade in each and you have a quick cam pulley centering tool that will find the parting line in the cam cap ...

never be one tooth off again .. priceless

If you're not in a huge hurry, I can dig through my scrap buckets and see if I can rig something up. Although I don't have anything big enough to cut the hole for the 18mm socket for the bolt. The machine shop next door might, but no idea what they'd charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    cut a slot in each of those dowels so you can insert a square ended xacto knife blade in each and you have a quick cam pulley centering tool that will find the parting line in the cam cap ...

never be one tooth off again .. priceless
    I did exactly that to mine. Works great.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

If there was enough interest and someone has the center to center measurements for all the applications it would be easy enough to draw up a circle, plot the holes out for the dowels/bolts and make it totally weld free by making a provision for a bolt on handle. Minimal cost, postage and the water jet running time.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

So you're saying you have access to a water jet . . .

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    If there was enough interest and someone has the center to center measurements for all the applications it would be easy enough to draw up a circle, plot the holes out for the dowels/bolts and make it totally weld free by making a provision for a bolt on handle. Minimal cost, postage and the water jet running time.
    I just broke my adjustable KD tools unit that I've had for about 15 years. I'd rather give you the business than try to swap it out as I doubt they make them any longer.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    sombody here does .. makin' the fifth gear holding tool .. jus sayin nudge/wink

turbo addict

Wish the reply with quote worked for me. You can also tape a straight line on your gear from arrow to arrow and squirt a little paint on it. Then line up the painted line and your centercap parting line. Figured that out by 1986 (lol). Oh yeah by 1986, wheel bearings failed, headgasket, timing belt, brake pads, etc., all were replaced. My power module failed within 3 days of purchasing car! Driving down the road and car just shut off like I turned off the key. Coasted into a parking lot and turned the key OFF and all the CEL lit up and the fuel pump ran! WTF? Apparently ASD relay got confused when it was supposed to run, and when it was supposed to be off. Thankfully it was still covered under bumper to bumper. The first year was a rough one for my GLHT and me. Luckily for the car I couldn't find a match (lol). I did go shopping for Buick T-types though. Found a rare pale yellow one with camel pillowed velour "limited" split bench interior. That is one I regretted let slip through my hands.
    Todd

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    He does, I just bought one of the 5th gear holding tools he made on it
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD