Thread: Aluminum flywheel

Hybrid booster

Aluminum flywheel

Date: 31st May 2018
    Username: 85glht
    Full Name:David Dionne
    City, State, Zip:Bristol, CT 06010
    Price: $200.00. OBO, PLUS shipping

Description: Aluminum flywheel AND new insert. I bought this from TU many moons ago. I don’t intend to reinstall it in the car so I’m willing to part with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	62682
    Last edited by 85glht; 06-09-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Removed content

Hybrid booster

Re: Aluminum flywheel

$175??

Hybrid booster

Sale pending...

Hybrid booster

Sold!

turbo addict

hopefully the new owner doesn't slip the clutch that much.

slipped on the left, not slipped on the right, Right had done 2nd gear burnouts at the track and been daily driven. See a pattern? Left has an unknown history but the heat marks showed it was slipped a lot. These take a different kind of driving style than most people do.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    hopefully the new owner doesn't slip the clutch that much.

slipped on the left, not slipped on the right, Right had done 2nd gear burnouts at the track and been daily driven. See a pattern? Left has an unknown history but the heat marks showed it was slipped a lot. These take a different kind of driving style than most people do.

It only takes one slip to look like that.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

No offense guys but the misinformation just continues...….

It hardly took just One slip to look like that. Look at the groove depth eaten out of that insert. This is typical of a ceramic clutch that was Not broken in properly and so the higher friction material, being the ceramic pads, Eats the flywheel and/or PP.

You can slip/ drive a ceramic clutch much the same as any other clutch IF it's been broken it properly.(ie the ceramic material has transferred to both the flywheel mating surface as well as the PP mating surface.) Once this happens you will know because it will begin to engage at lower rpm and drive almost like an OE clutch disc. No chatter)

Now, nothing wrong with the way you drive yours GLHNSLHT2, your just doing a longer gentler break-in, as the material is slowly transferring just the same and your not heating the surfaces while you do it.

But lets get rid of this nonsense once and for all that you Can't Slip a ceramic puck clutch, of course you can, there is no choice in the matter, as the flywheel can not Stop while you flip your "switch" and engage the disc, it's moving whether you like it or not, so there's going to be some slip and so, Transfer of ceramic material to the mating surfaces.

What you Don't want is to slip it under Load Before it's broken in! This is what causes the damage from heat and dissimilar materials working against each other as portrayed in the pic you posted...……

So gentle slip until broken in, then your GtG.

I've looked at my flywheel with over 250 passes and 2nd gear burnouts off the limiter with 26" slicks with 7psi in them and it looks very similar to yours except you can see the color of the ceramic material transfer on it more than yours. Smooth, no heavy path chewed out of it.

I'll add to this that I have Never wore out a puck clutch. When I went to the 3 puck I'm on now the 4 puck was less than 50% worn and that was 5-7 years 40,000kms and who knows how many passes at the track.

On the other hand I have seen customers go through one in 2 months, no break-in, just drive it like you stole it from the git-go...…...

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Garrett booster

The clutch doesn't see much slipping. Gets driven off a trailer and shifted from 1st to 2nd while pulling on the track for a pace lap and then slammed from 2nd to 3rd going down the front stretch when the green flag drops and stays in 3rd for 20 laps. I'm using the flywheel insert with the heat marks no issue. Just took it to a lapping stone before i installed in and no chatter or other issues. I am only using a factory clutch disk tho. Not a ceramic one as I don't have near enough power to justify the cost. Thanks again for the Flywheel Dave. Car definitely winds up faster!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I wore out a 4 puck in 4 years of daily driving/racing. Still worked but slipped on more than 6 or so psi. No idea mileage as my odometer is broke lol. Probably 50k miles though anyway, maybe even 60k or so. I drove it a lot.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by enduro74 View Post
    The clutch doesn't see much slipping. Gets driven off a trailer and shifted from 1st to 2nd while pulling on the track for a pace lap and then slammed from 2nd to 3rd going down the front stretch when the green flag drops and stays in 3rd for 20 laps. I'm using the flywheel insert with the heat marks no issue. Just took it to a lapping stone before i installed in and no chatter or other issues. I am only using a factory clutch disk tho. Not a ceramic one as I don't have near enough power to justify the cost. Thanks again for the Flywheel Dave. Car definitely winds up faster!
    Awesome! Glad you like it!!