Thread: Buying a burnt up Daytona IROC R/T

Mitsu booster

Buying a burnt up Daytona IROC R/T

Good morning,

Sadly, a T3 Daytona in Maine burnt up while parked recently. It smoldered the hood, tops of the fenders, windshield and dash. Should the engine and transmission still be good to use? The guy thought it caught fire because a valve cover leak (sounds unlikely to me). I would think a fuel line would cause it.

I will try to get some pictures. Has anybody bought burnt vehicles here before?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Buying a burnt up Daytona IROC R/T

I have bought burned vehicles for parts before. Unless it was really hot engine and trans should be ok.

Mitsu booster

I would be interested if you don't want to buy it, i am in MASS, I COULD USE THE ENGINE BLOCK AND HEAD PARTS ETC.
    and/or otherwise I have a 93 Iroc BLACK
    that I might be willing to sell (seized engine)to help complete a car if you want

WHAT COLOR IS THIS ONE?
    DAVE L

Mitsu booster

I definitely want the parts out of it. My Spirit R/T has over 250k miles so a spare trans isn't a bad idea. My plans for the chassis is a 3.8 V6 5 speed.
    Last edited by MaineMopar; 05-11-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

I have bought some for parts and i have repaired some for customers in the past. that fire doesn't look like it got that out of hand. that car should be fixable or just rape it for parts, any under hood pics? Judging by the damaged area on the hood, I would say that fire didn't burn very long and didn't get that hot. I would be willing to guess the valve covers didn't melt?
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Mitsu booster

Underhood. Factory louver car I think

Mitsu booster

I bought the car. I'm gonna need a new dash, windshield, pedals, wiper arms, wiring harness, etc.

The car is in pretty good shape otherwise

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

you clean it up it wont look so bad

turbo addict

you may need an entire interior too
    I kinda doubt the burnt smell well ever go away

the formaldehyde smell from the 70's era piece of particle board the guy who owned my shelby z before me used to mount his big stupid speaker in the spare tire well never went away
    - never even faded any

and I owned that from 96-2014
    plastics absorb and release smells forever
    like the plastic orange juce jug in the fridge
    vinigar , bleach , soap .. still smells like o-j

but mint clean light silver mopar interiors do match up well with cocconut air fresheners
    - like the two I found in my turbo z's dash cubby hole
    though maybe a little surreal

scrub it and throw a box full of over the top puck style air freshenes in it now so it has time to hopefully take on a new better stink
    when the new one fades the old one may not come back

a little thinner poured into a pan in the trunk well and allowed to evaporiate in the closed car might help if the air fresheners don't
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 05-28-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

My cat is very well conditioned, leash trained etc but one day about four months ago he was in my sons BMW a little too long, we were out all day and he ONLY uses his litter box. I walked him outside several times but he just doesn't get that he can relieve himself wherever outside. Any while I was in a store, he took a pi$$ on the carpet in the drives footwell. Now I don't know what it is about cat urine but it's RANK So heres what I've tried:

Shampoed and used my shop vac to suck up the soapy water, used like a quart of hot soapy (laundry detergent, also rug shampoo for 'pet stains'), done that 4X and ran as fan into the car for 2 days between each session to dry the carpet.

Soaked and resoaked using a spray on pet odor remover, fan in window for 2 weeks strait.

110 volt Ozone generator, bought it off ebay for like $89. left it plugged in overnight a couple times. Seemed to help but odor returned. Problem I've heard is that the Ozone with breakdown(disintegrate?) all the platics in the car so I don't want to overdue it.

The odor is 10% of what it was(still 9.99% too much!) but its still noticeable on hot days when car is closed up and in the sun. So now that you mentioned the absorbant nature of plastic DJD, I'm wondering if the carpet isn't the culprit but the plastics? I keep a bottle of Febreeze in the back seat floorboard and use it all the time on the carpet, I wonder if I should mist the leather seats and the plastic dash parts?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

most of your problem might be the pee soaked down into the rubber carpet backing

I tryed Febreeze , on the dog puke spots on the house carpet
    it works for a couple of min then seems more to reactivate the vomit smell

best method of carpet cleaning is the floor mat hooks at the coin opp car wash , or a tailgate
    the pressure was at the war wash will take everything out of the carpet as long as it can drain out as you're spraying it
    yeah i mean the carpet not the floor mats
    (I've washed the carpet out of everything I ever owned or built this way )
    WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE

also some carpet freshener might help - but you want an old vacume cleaner you'll never use in the house to pull it back out

note cat pee is SO nasty pregnant women should stay away from the cat's litter box

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    My cat is very well conditioned, leash trained etc but one day about four months ago he was in my sons BMW a little too long, we were out all day and he ONLY uses his litter box. I walked him outside several times but he just doesn't get that he can relieve himself wherever outside. Any while I was in a store, he took a pi$$ on the carpet in the drives footwell. Now I don't know what it is about cat urine but it's RANK So heres what I've tried:

Shampoed and used my shop vac to suck up the soapy water, used like a quart of hot soapy (laundry detergent, also rug shampoo for 'pet stains'), done that 4X and ran as fan into the car for 2 days between each session to dry the carpet.

Soaked and resoaked using a spray on pet odor remover, fan in window for 2 weeks strait.

110 volt Ozone generator, bought it off ebay for like $89. left it plugged in overnight a couple times. Seemed to help but odor returned. Problem I've heard is that the Ozone with breakdown(disintegrate?) all the platics in the car so I don't want to overdue it.

The odor is 10% of what it was(still 9.99% too much!) but its still noticeable on hot days when car is closed up and in the sun. So now that you mentioned the absorbant nature of plastic DJD, I'm wondering if the carpet isn't the culprit but the plastics? I keep a bottle of Febreeze in the back seat floorboard and use it all the time on the carpet, I wonder if I should mist the leather seats and the plastic dash parts?
    Just sell it!

From all I've read, your only hope is a professional enzymatic cleaner. I forget the name of a particular product I've read about, but it's apparently used to clean up bad crime scenes by the people who do that for a living. I guess you can't get any DNA or even a sign that blood or bodily fluid was there once the stuff is done. I wish I could remember the name of the stuff. It's probably a good idea to keep a gallon or two of that stuff around.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Hes a great cat, he pulls pu$$y everywhere he goes with me, not that I need another cat

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Hes a great cat, he pulls pu$$y everywhere he goes with me, not that I need another cat
    Hopefully he does better than the ferret.

Mitsu booster

So I have primered the hood since I've had it. Plans are to get the front fenders primered, interior cleaned and drivetrain pulled.
    I will keep it a T3, but rebuild using forged pistons, Holset turbo, a.c. delete; similar to my dad's Spirit

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk