Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air Filter Sizing

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: Air Filter Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Also, I know Jackson's green car made a lot of power last year using the K&N Filter. I will probably get one on order and then add a fitting to the end of the filter so I can connect my PCV system to the filter. Time to pull the complete 3" intake, that will really clean up my engine bay and simply things. There is no way to fit a 4" intake under my hood with how my pipes are run right now. I don't see a point in re-doing the heater core hoses.
    #1 reason I cut and weld the compressor outlet on both 8v and 16v Holset builds. Less piping and gives room for 4" intake

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I wanted a cone air filter but I don't want to suck hot air from the engine compartment so I went with a Ford air filter because 1) It's a cone and 2) It's in a sealed box I can plumb to cold air outside the engine compartment. I started with the smaller V6 filter but have gone to the larger V8 filter.

An excerpt taken from my thread http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...triction/page3

"I just measured the two filters, both are Wix by the way. Both filter's pleats measure the same 1 1/4" wide by 5 1/8" long but the V6 has 68 pleats and the V8 has 100. I'm not as good at math as I use to be so I'm showing my work.

So 1.25" x 2 = 2.5" (one pleat opened up) x 5.125" = 12.812 square inches x 68 pleats = 871.25 square inches for the V6 filter.

1.25" x 2 = 2.5" (one pleat opened up) x 5.125" = 12.812 square inches x 100 pleats = 1281.20 square inches for the V8 filter.

A difference of 409.95 square inches or 47% more surface area. Right?"

turbo addict

//www.amazon.com/Volant-198546-PowerCore-Cool-Intake/dp/B00400EWVO

- for 99-03 f150
    I put one in my truck a few years ago
    first night test ride at 45-55 mph for an hour and a half each way my edge tuner showed a steady 2 mpg improvement

went from twenty to twenty two
    it was a "stage" in my improvements that have got me as good as 25 mpg at 45-55
    if I go 60 it drops back to 17

air filter element is better than K&N , even just their pleated style filter which is the one I have

- I've held so many K&N's up to the light and noted there is no filter material left in the folds of the pleats , just open screen
    - not good for filtering much and definately not lasting the claimed million miles lol

boostaholic

Got the K&N RU-2510 on order that mounts right on the turbo. Debating if I should keep the 3" pipe going from in the front of the radiator as a duct to the new filter to bring cold air to it. Does anyone think that pipe will help direct cold air to the turbo filter, or should I just block that opening off next to the radiator.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Got the K&N RU-2510 on order that mounts right on the turbo. Debating if I should keep the 3" pipe going from in the front of the radiator as a duct to the new filter to bring cold air to it. Does anyone think that pipe will help direct cold air to the turbo filter, or should I just block that opening off next to the radiator.
    Do you have a way to log temps, or measure pressure in an area? If the pipe is in a high pressure area, and the pressure is lower where the filter is, I would think that you would draw a fair amount of cool air to it. Frankly, with the airflow requirements of the turbo, I would suspect that it could create a localized low pressure area just from that.

boostaholic

Installed the filter and I can feel a noticeable difference, spool is quicker now. The turbo is a lot louder as well. Will start adjusting my tune. So far first impressions are good and Jackson knows what he is talking about with the filter right on the Holset

boostaholic

I haven't done any measured testing, one thing I have noticed is that with the CAI on my minimum pressure to open the waste gate was 20 PSI, I took the intake off and switched to the filter and without changing anything else the minimum pressure to open the waste gate jumped to 25PSI. So there was definitely a restriction with the 3" intake. I have also had to add fuel to my tune. The car now demands more fuel at a given PSI than it did before with the 3" CAI. I had to loosen the actuator 1 full rotation to get the minimum boost back down to 20 PSI.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

I haven't done any measured testing, one thing I have noticed is that with the CAI on my minimum pressure to open the waste gate was 20 PSI, I took the intake off and switched to the filter and without changing anything else the minimum pressure to open the waste gate jumped to 25PSI. So there was definitely a restriction with the 3" intake. I have also had to add fuel to my tune. The car now demands more fuel at a given PSI than it did before with the 3" CAI. I had to loosen the actuator 1 full rotation to get the minimum boost back down to 20 PSI.
    wow nice results!

I wonder if mine would be similar with 3" turbo inlet and 3" CAI(quite long and bendy)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    wow nice results!

I wonder if mine would be similar with 3" turbo inlet and 3" CAI(quite long and bendy)
    Holy crap, where have you been?!
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123