Thread: A-555 Can't Adjust Cables to get Reverse

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

A-555 Can't Adjust Cables to get Reverse

Joy didn't like the 568 shifter which came in her Daytona. I swapped it out to the proper 555 unit. However, I'm now unable to find reverse due to not having enough adjustment on the crossover cable. Could I have mixed up the cables by mistake? It appears as though the plastic piece the cables attach to is the same on each side. I'm at a bit of a loss on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

While the car runs great, all the little mistakes and small stuff is really starting to aggravate me on this car.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: A-555 Can't Adjust Cables to get Reverse

Do you know if the transmission worked before you installed it? I had that issue with a 555 once, and I think we determined that a pair of shift pads were worn to nothing.

It ran and drove before I pulled and reinstalled it.

turbo addict

Is the shift boot on? Can you actually see the shifter get to the reverse spot?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

If you disconnect the cable, can you put it in reverse by hand?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Is the shift boot on? Can you actually see the shifter get to the reverse spot?
    I've pulled the console up, and it does go over into the revers lockout spot like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    If you disconnect the cable, can you put it in reverse by hand?
    I haven't done that yet, but I can grab 3/4 easily by hand. I'll need to pull the IC piping to really get back there unfortunately. It's very, very highly probable that the trans is 100% fine.

turbo addict

the clips that hold the cables to the brackets at the shifter and the trans .. are the clips actually in the grooves ??

I had a guy with a reverse issue - thought it needed a cable adjustment , turned out the clip was missing at the trans on the cable that pushes the rod in the selector box in/out

if the clip isn't properly seated in the groove it may well cause the same issue

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I ruined my crossover cable once and the symptoms were exactly what you describe. I pinched the trans end of the cable and kinked it so it was deflecting when it was pushing the linkage in since it now had a weak spot. It worked fine for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. The shifter had enough throw to compensate for 1st & 2nd (needed to go past the reverse lockout to get 1st), but couldn't get all the way into reverse.

Have someone move the shifter all the way to the left and see if the trans end of the crossover cable is bending or flexing.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I had that issue with a 555 once, and I think we determined that a pair of shift pads were worn to nothing.
    Strange considering that reverse doesn't have shift pads or a fork. It's just a lever that pivots on a pin attached to the side of the case.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

!!!
    ^ THAT reverse lever "fork" might be the issue
    I myself have had a few instances where the notch in the top end of that lever disengages from the selector shaft - thus you cannot shift into reverse

I even had this issue with that new trans I bought off Cindy - when I first removed it from the crate I could not get it to shift to reverse on my table

after standing it on end to look it over something went plink inside and reverse began to seem to work

in 525 and 520/555 transmissions I've had the issue with the reverse fork lever disengaging from the selector shaft just in normal driving usage

turbo addict

Time to remove the 6 bolts of the shifter cover and take a look inside.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post

Strange considering that reverse doesn't have shift pads or a fork. It's just a lever that pivots on a pin attached to the side of the case.[/FONT]
    Well I guess I should have specified. I had enough adjustment to have R-4 or 1-5, but couldn't have both R and 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    the clips that hold the cables to the brackets at the shifter and the trans .. are the clips actually in the grooves ??

I had a guy with a reverse issue - thought it needed a cable adjustment , turned out the clip was missing at the trans on the cable that pushes the rod in the selector box in/out

if the clip isn't properly seated in the groove it may well cause the same issue
    The clips appear to be seated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I ruined my crossover cable once and the symptoms were exactly what you describe. I pinched the trans end of the cable and kinked it so it was deflecting when it was pushing the linkage in since it now had a weak spot. It worked fine for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. The shifter had enough throw to compensate for 1st & 2nd (needed to go past the reverse lockout to get 1st), but couldn't get all the way into reverse.

Have someone move the shifter all the way to the left and see if the trans end of the crossover cable is bending or flexing.

Strange considering that reverse doesn't have shift pads or a fork. It's just a lever that pivots on a pin attached to the side of the case.
    I'll check that. The cables are certainly old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    !!!
    ^ THAT reverse lever "fork" might be the issue
    I myself have had a few instances where the notch in the top end of that lever disengages from the selector shaft - thus you cannot shift into reverse

I even had this issue with that new trans I bought off Cindy - when I first removed it from the crate I could not get it to shift to reverse on my table

after standing it on end to look it over something went plink inside and reverse began to seem to work

in 525 and 520/555 transmissions I've had the issue with the reverse fork lever disengaging from the selector shaft just in normal driving usage
    I had thought of that, but it seemed like a low probability event. I think you can see the reverse lever if you look through the fill hole, right? I can't quite remember at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Time to remove the 6 bolts of the shifter cover and take a look inside.
    How well can you see the reverse lever from the top with the gear set in place? I'm thinking you can't from the top with the trans in the car?

Well I guess I should have specified. I had enough adjustment to have R-4 or 1-5, but couldn't have both R and 5.
    I'm decidedly getting 1-5, but I have to use the reverse lockout to get 1st.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'm decidedly getting 1-5, but I have to use the reverse lockout to get 1st.
    Now that definitely sounds like something with the cable or cable adjustment.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Do you know if the transmission worked before you installed it? I had that issue with a 555 once, and I think we determined that a pair of shift pads were worn to nothing.
    Reverse doesn't use any shift pads.

The modified cable for the 568 wouldn't allow for the selector to be pushed far enough into the trans in order for it to engage reverse. I had Joy come out and sit in the car today. I was able to push the selector forward and to the passenger side for reverese. She started the car with the clutch depressed and was able to move the car rearward as one would expect. I'm in the process of installing a cable I pulled from a parts car last fall. Will report back with the final result.

Well, upon further inspection, it was indeed the cable which was the problem. The cable was from a 523/568, and the busing which was made for it to bolt to the selector lever wasn't drilled offset enough toward the back of the car for it to be able to reach reverse with the 555 in there.

After installing the proper cable, the car shifts through the gears just fine. Glad to have this chapter come to an end. Now Joy can have a proper reverse lockout and enjoy driving the car on the weekends.

turbo addict

glad you found your issue
    now , here at the after party I have a question

just what did you have here , a 555 with a mod'ed 568 cable and a 568 shifter , that was swaped for the 555 shifter ??

if so I'm wondering about making the 568 shifter work on the 555
    BUT not so much as I'd rather figure a way to use the 555 shifter on the 568

neon , hurst shifter upgrades bedamed .. I'd still rather have reverse where it belongs , WITH a lockout .. and a 523/568 trans

Yes. It was the 568 "in/out" cable with the 568 shifter. The trans was a 555. I think the later 555 crossover cables were the same on the end as the 568 cables where it meets the trans, so that didn't have to change.

My brain is still hurting after this whole deal even though it was fairly simple. I can't even begin to think about what combination of parts would get you a functional 555 shifter in a 568 trans vehicle.