Thread: 92 Shadow R/T vert

Garrett booster

92 Shadow vert Corrected

92 Shodow R/T vert 5 Spd 3.0 non running has come up for sale locally. Owner says car has sat for years and won’t stary. Asking 500.00. Worth taking a look at?
    Last edited by Barraguy; 04-25-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Re: 92 Shadow R/T vert

No such factory model as a shadow r/t

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    Yeah, especially with a 3.oh no....

If the body and interior are in good shape, it might be worth saving. I have personally never cared for the 3.0 mosquito fogger, especially in a P body. Way to much weight in the nose for a small car like that... You get the same basic power out of a 2.5 TI, without all the extra weight on the nose...

Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Yeah, especially with a 3.oh no....

If the body and interior are in good shape, it might be worth saving. I have personally never cared for the 3.0 mosquito fogger, especially in a P body. Way to much weight in the nose for a small car like that... You get the same basic power out of a 2.5 TI, without all the extra weight on the nose...
    Assuming this is indeed a '92, then it should have the valve guide fix that caused much of the "smoking" issues. In terms of durability, the 3L is much better than a 2.5, especially in mildly abusive situations... As for power, the 3L doesn't have the lag so torque available right away. If you want more power, the 24-valve 3.0, 3.5, 3.8L V6's bolt up to the trans or you can add a turbo... Done both...

On the Shadow vert's, some of the door glass is not available. So be aware...

turbo addict

The 3.0 is a good engine, despite some people's unwarranted biases. It takes to both NOS and boost very well if you want more power. The 3.0 isn't much heavier (if at all) than the turbo engines. If it's coupled to a 5-speed it's kinda rare and having owned a '92 P-body with this combination, I can attest to how much fun it is. You won't set the world on fire, but it put a smile on my face for being such a beater.

The A604 transmission is the true "problem child". However, with a good rebuild, the correct fluid, and good maintenance they are just as good as any other electronic transmission from the era.

Marty Mopar just posted that he has a lot of P-body convertible *specific* NOS parts over on turbododge.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

That has to be a pretty rare combination. I never really saw many V6 P-bodies to begin with. I can't recall ever seeing a V6 convertible in person.

For whatever it's worth, stock for stock, I'll gladly take the V6 over a Turbo I any day.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    Ok, confronted seller with that and he says he just put the R/T to draw attention and has since changed the add. Reminds me of a guy selling a 89 GT lebaron that he has advertised as a GTC

Garrett booster

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post

What door glass is not available?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    Pictures!

Assuming this is indeed a '92, then it should have the valve guide fix that caused much of the "smoking" issues. In terms of durability, the 3L is much better than a 2.5, especially in mildly abusive situations... As for power, the 3L doesn't have the lag so torque available right away. If you want more power, the 24-valve 3.0, 3.5, 3.8L V6's bolt up to the trans or you can add a turbo... Done both...

the 2.2/2.5 is one of the most durable engines ever made. There is a reason why I and others have bought them all over the country with no worries about driving them home. The last 2.2/2.5 car I bought, I drove 9,000 miles home while seeing the arctic circle and some of the most remote places in North America along the way. The car was purchased sight unseen over the phone a month or more ahead of time. The only prep that was done was plugs and brakes at A.J.'s place in CA.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wow, didn't think my comment would spark this much debate... I know the 3.0 has it's fans, I'm just not one of them. I won't knock anybody for liking them. I just personally thought they were a really bad idea in a P body. Sure they are quick in a straight line, but I don't like the idea of the extra weight on the nose. A FWD already has understeer tendencies, the extra weight just amplifies that.

I have a really good 3.0 story that underlies why I personally don't care for them, but this thread isn't the place for it...

Hopefully somebody decides to save this 'vert. They are pretty rare, and this one looks decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Barraguy View Post
    What door glass is not available?
    I believe the passenger side door window is at least hard to find and may not be available. There was a convertible for sale CHEAP near here that looked good other broken passenger window. In some quick looking, I could not find the glass available new... Probably could find it used.. (remember the convertible cars used different glass...

Garrett booster

Don't worry about the door windows. There's lots of them available used.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Sure they are quick in a straight line, but I don't like the idea of the extra weight on the nose. A FWD already has understeer tendencies, the extra weight just amplifies that.

While I agree that extra weight on an already front heavy car isn't good, a lot of the understeer doesn't necessarily come from being FWD. It comes from the crappy grandma settings in the alignment. 95% of people can't handle oversteer. So all cars are set up to understeer. You add some camber and if possible caster to the front end, and maybe take some out of the rear if you can't get what you want in the front and it'll change the behavior of the car really quickly. I'll take oversteer any day of the week. I can control that easier than understeer as you can adjust it with steering and throttle Understeer is just hope it slows down enough to regain grip.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

A 3.0 car weighs no more than a 2.2/2.5 turbo car, by the time you figure in turbo and intercooler... And durability is the same if properly cared for.

If the price is right and the car is decently clean, I'd get it and fix it up. The verts are rare cars. I've seen one with the V6 before, it was a 5-spd too. Belonged to Mark Grant's dad at CS Racing back in the day. No idea where it is now though.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD