Thread: Looking for a lower steering shaft coupler/u-joint P/N 4470218

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Looking for a lower steering shaft coupler/u-joint P/N 4470218

Title pretty much says it all.

I've been having trouble with increased steering effort in my Daytona. I dropped the K-frame and rack last night and the u-joint for the steering was pretty much locked up. I managed to free it up for now, but it's not going to live long.

If anybody has a good one of these, I'm buying. I've researched it online, and can't find anybody with a new one...

turbo addict

Re: Looking for a lower steering shaft coupler/u-joint P/N 4470218

FYI, I had high steering effort on my 21K mile Omni many years ago when I brought it up from Austin TX. What I found in my case was both outer tie rod ends were really dry and seized up. Amazing difference after replacing. I think the TX heat got to them.
    IIRC, the cups for the u-joint on the steering racks are staked. If you can't find new, I would consider de-burring stakes and pressing out, repack, press back together, re-stake cups and you should be okay for another 30 years.
    Todd

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Looking for a lower steering shaft coupler/u-joint P/N 4470218

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    FYI, I had high steering effort on my 21K mile Omni many years ago when I brought it up from Austin TX. What I found in my case was both outer tie rod ends were really dry and seized up. Amazing difference after replacing. I think the TX heat got to them.
    IIRC, the cups for the u-joint on the steering racks are staked. If you can't find new, I would consider de-burring stakes and pressing out, repack, press back together, re-stake cups and you should be okay for another 30 years.
    Todd
    Yeah, they are staked. I did consider trying to press them out, but since this is my daily, I didn't want to risk breaking something I don't have a replacement for...

Inner and outer tie rods were just replaced a year ago right before SDAC. So I know I'm good there. I do grease them every other oil change.

A good soaking with PB Blaster and then some 3 in 1 oil got the joint moving decent again. The steering effort is back to normal. I replaced the rack because I had a new one, and since I already had the car apart decided "what the heck". I don't want to do this again any time soon.

So now, other than the u-joint, the entire steering system is new. New pump, lines, and rack. Should easily be good for another 185K....

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk