Thread: Pads smaller then rotors

turbo addict

Pads smaller then rotors

Bought some new brakes for my 92 Lebanon sedan. The pads dont sweep the whole rotor surface. The outer pad has a 3/16" gap to the outer edge of the rotor and the inner about 1/8"

When I place the pads on each other the inner is 1/8" wider.

The car had this brand of pads before. So I cant really compare. The old pads were at least the same size

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Pads smaller then rotors

I check my 60mm(11" rotors) Wagner Thermoquiet pad and both sides have 52mm wide pads and a similar story when I opened a fresh set of Hawk pads (approx 53mm) I checked Centric on RA and it shows the inside and outside pads at different widths. Not sure why.. Could the short pad be from a 54mm set by error???
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    I check my 60mm(11" rotors) Wagner Thermoquiet pad and both sides have 52mm wide pads and a similar story when I opened a fresh set of Hawk pads (approx 53mm) I checked Centric on RA and it shows the inside and outside pads at different widths. Not sure why.. Could the short pad be from a 54mm set by error???
    I get the feeling as time goes on aftermarket companies are ignoring small details for a more universal fit. less types to manufacture and less for stores to stock more "compatibility"

Bought another brand, Wagner. seems closer to the inside pad but still wont sweep the whole surface. Maybe ive never been paying attention but why bother having 10 1/4 rotors when the pads only hit 10.
    its maybe not even the width as much as the placement of the friction material on the metal base.

I donno. I have a low mile P-body. it should still have the factory pads. think this would be my best comparator.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

I have never seen a set of pads actually sweep the entire surface of a rotor...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I have never seen a set of pads actually sweep the entire surface of a rotor...
    Agreed, The farther the friction surface is from the centre of rotation, the greater the stopping ability assuming all other things are equal. I have not gone through the math but I would expect the very inside of the rotor surface to contribute as low as single digit % to the total stopping ability.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH