Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Possible A413/31TH Billet Input Shaft Group Buy

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: Possible A413/31TH Billet Input Shaft Group Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Since you gave up the lockup, I guess your next converter could be smaller

Were you only using it on the freeway?
    Yes it could be but I stuck with the bigger converter. It has a bullet cover and billet is better, right? I took the larger one out to have it modified so in the mean time I was driving around with the smaller one. The smaller one had a slightly higher stall to it. Just accelerating like I did with the larger converter my RPMs were higher and it sounded like I was trying to race everybody. I was glad I got my larger one back in because it has a lower stall. I don't know why the smaller one has a higher stall now, I had the larger one built based off of the smaller one. Maybe it was always higher but I haven't used it for awhile so I didn't notice before.

In Megasquirt I had the lock-up come on at 45 mph and shut off at anything above 0"HG or in boost. Most streets here in AZ are 45 mph and I tend to drive above that so my lock-up was usually on, in the city or on the highway.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Yes it could be but I stuck with the bigger converter. It has a bullet cover and billet is better, right? I took the larger one out to have it modified so in the mean time I was driving around with the smaller one. The smaller one had a slightly higher stall to it. Just accelerating like I did with the larger converter my RPMs were higher and it sounded like I was trying to race everybody. I was glad I got my larger one back in because it has a lower stall. I don't know why the smaller one has a higher stall now, I had the larger one built based off of the smaller one. Maybe it was always higher but I haven't used it for awhile so I didn't notice before.

In Megasquirt I had the lock-up come on at 45 mph and shut off at anything above 0"HG or in boost. Most streets here in AZ are 45 mph and I tend to drive above that so my lock-up was usually on, in the city or on the highway.
    Would be nice to keep that lockup. My 6bt 47re locks at 45...and is annoying in 40-50mph traffic. I do appreciate lockup because often the truck would instead be stalling at 1950rpms whenever under decent load. A gas engine at 3500-4000 all the time up mild hills, yuck.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

My 6bt 47re locks at 45...and is annoying in 40-50mph traffic.
    I ran into that problem too. So I have a three-way switch on my vehicles with lock-up. One position is the computer control on or off, next position is it's off all the time, and third position is I turn it on and it's on all the time. That way depending upon the situation I can have it on or off.

Garrett booster

I would like to express my concern over how different these two shafts are.
    The shorter shafts from Dakota/boots were made by a different person, not from Donato, according to Dakota.

I couldn't fit 2 roto-clips on the shaft after installing either. I settled on using 1 and a half clips. A half clip will still not come off and will take up the extra space, if push out is a concern. Mine from Dakota is such a tight heat/press fit, I doubt it'll move in the first place, but still feel better with the thicker 1.5 clips.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guhfluh View Post
    The shorter shafts from Dakota/boots were made by a different person, not from Donato, according to Dakota.

I couldn't fit 2 roto-clips on the shaft after installing either. I settled on using 1 and a half clips. A half clip will still not come off and will take up the extra space, if push out is a concern. Mine from Dakota is such a tight heat/press fit, I doubt it'll move in the first place, but still feel better with the thicker 1.5 clips.
    Thank you for sharing this info.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I am running the 31TH mated to a 2.4 in the van. I'm running a A413 mated to a 2.5 in my wagon. I'm going to discuss the 31TH in my van.

The converter in the van is actually a 10.5" converter out of a 3.3/3.8 Caravan with a 41TE. I had to go 10.5" because I was blowing the lock-up out of the 9.5" converter. I was not boosting in lock-up. The converter flexes too much and would blow out the seal in it. They don't make a billet cover for the 9.5" so I had to go 10.5" I had to drill new holes in my flex plate to use the 10.5" because the bolt pattern is wider. Suncoast in Florida built my 10.5" converter and it's a 3500 stall speed. I love it. I didn't want to pay an extra $100 in round-trip shipping so I had Hughes in Phoenix modify my converter to accept the new billet inputs shafts and told them to eliminate the lock-up. I haven't installed it yet so I don't know how good of a job they did. I only know my shaft spines into it fine.
    I used to have a 8" or so billet lockup converter, Kia based I believe, built at Pat's Transmission in PA. Steve Lockett had it made back then. It supposedly held for him at around 500hp. I never got it to work correctly. I wish we could still get them, and a billet lockup shaft would be great. Just saying that a billet cover and billet piston converter can be had, I guess.

Hybrid booster

if anyone that bought one of these or bought an extra is looking to sell, let me know, i hooked up a friend with the one i got with the thought that i'd be able to dig one up to replace it since he is moving along quite a bit faster with his automatic than i am with mine

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910