Thread: MAP & CTS sensor questions

Threaded View

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: MAP & CTS sensor questions

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    a .tpl file is a human readable (text) file that displays the table data. the .asm file is a human readable (text) file that contains the operating code. for the ecu to run it needs to have a machine readable file, i.e. the compiled binary (.bin) file that is created when you "compile" the tpl/asm. the .bin is what is downloaded to the ecu.

when you edit the .bin file you are directly modifying the bytes in the file. mptune uses the .mpt file to tell it where the table bytes are located (similar to the old dcal .tbl file). the downside to modifying the bin is if changes are made to the code (i.e. the asm file) for new features/etc. that is why editing the tpl file and recompiling is/was the best way. since rob L is no longer actively supporting the turbonator code it may not be quite as necessary to work with the tpl files. also, the turbonator cals used a common code base (asm) and different (tpl) files so users could easily start with a compatible system (e.g. manual vs auto, stage 1 vs stage 4).
    OK, so what am I missing? I have a bunch of .tpl files. Never seen a .asm file in anything I've downloaded from Boost button? When I edit the .tpl file and try and compile it, MPtune goes looking for a file, instead of trying to compile the one I'm working on. It only gives me a .bin in the drop down, so it won't let me compile a .tpl file.

I'm certainly no computer guy, maybe all this programming stuff is beyond me...

BTW, thank you for trying to help. Sorry I'm asking such complete newby questions. I really do want to learn how to do this correctly. There just isn't much out there to show somebody like me how to do this...

I would just send a couple of logs to Rob M. and let him rework it. He did the original tune. But I think we all know the situation he is in right now, and my tuning issues are the least of his worries. I certainly don't want to bug him in the middle of all he is going through. This is mostly why I'm trying to figure this out on my own...
    Last edited by 83scamp; 04-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.