Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold GLH Turbo

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: Gold GLH Turbo

I have the vented rears on my Rampage yeah it's more than we need but there's never *enough* right😉

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

I had a thought about the rear brakes being to much

perhaps a little research into the early 90's pick up trucks that in the time were all getting equipped with rear ABS

if that rear ABS could be adapted it would solve the rear brake lock up issues once and for all

turbo addict

Jeremy and AJ,
    What proportioning valve did you use guys with your 11" vented rear rotors on your L-bodies? The reason I ask is Mark Christofferson's dad's GLH (solo II autocross car) has 11" vented all around, they used stock L-body valve on it and I can't recall that GLHT having any premature rear braking lockup issues. Having done my share of wrenching and driving that car, I can't remember it being tail happy or locking up rear early.
    Many have claimed the premature lockup, but what proportioning valve and what rear pads are these people using, Stock l-body, yellow tag 4wd, organic, ceramic, semi-metallic, etc.?
    Todd

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Jeremy and AJ,
    What proportioning valve did you use guys with your 11" vented rear rotors on your L-bodies? The reason I ask is Mark Christofferson's dad's GLH (solo II autocross car) has 11" vented all around, they used stock L-body valve on it and I can't recall that GLHT having any premature rear braking lockup issues. Having done my share of wrenching and driving that car, I can't remember it being tail happy or locking up rear early.
    Many have claimed the premature lockup, but what proportioning valve and what rear pads are these people using, Stock l-body, yellow tag 4wd, organic, ceramic, semi-metallic, etc.?
    Todd
    I got the rear discs, prop valve, and master cylinder from a '91 Lebaron GTC in the junkyard. For rear pads I was using Raybestos PG Plus semi metallic.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I believe there are a few different styles of booster which can account for some difference in pedal feel too. I liked the braking on nice warm days, but many times the very high pedal effort would leave no room between nothing and locking up the rear.
    88 stock reliant booster.

i also joined the front and rear ports together from the master and then split them back off again so i could use 1 wilwood adjustable proportioning valve for the rear.

when bedding in some pads, i adjusted the rears down so that when the fronts faded super bad, the rears would barely lock.

i have cheap semi metallic on the rears.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I put a D150 on my Turbo GTC (factory 11" vented) and still couldn't ever lock them up. I've started to wonder if it was the pads. I had all new Wagner rotors, ThermoQuiet semi-metallic fronts and regular semi-metallics in the rear. It just always felt like it didn't have enough pedal pressure. It was not confidence inspiring at all in the mountains. I may switch back to a 24mm master and try different pads. The car is heavy, too (3300# with me in it).
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Rob,
    Sorry the "reply with quote" doesn't work for me anymore. For the same reason, I took out my 24mm MC and went to a 7/8" in one of my GLHT's. When I come close to running out of pedal, I'll consider putting a 24mm MC back in. Until then, no more 24mm or larger MC for me.
    Todd

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Is the D150 MC bigger than 24mm? Seems like some are measured in mm and some in inches. My black/tan GLH Turbo (er...brother's now..) with the caravan fronts/11" vented disc rears has a stiff pedal with not a whole lot of travel, but I like it. I don't autocross the car or anything, but it is way fun. Eventually I would like to do the later 11" front disc upgrade with GTC/RT parts and the BC coilers from Rich B to see how that will balance things out a bit. It is fun stabbing the brake to initiate a little oversteer though.

turbo addict

Jeremy,
    Yeah D150 is 1.125" bore (or 28.5mm) so it is a pretty big jump. In other words bigger jump than from going from stock 21mm to 24mm.
    Todd

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Jeremy and AJ,
    Todd
    I would have premature lockup in the rear with minivan front calipers, 11" vented brakes in the rear, the D150 MC, and parts store pads in the back. This would occur whenever the road was anything was but 100% dry, and whenever the temp was much lower than 60*. It would have cost me an accident or two if there wasn't a readily available shoulder ready for my car to drift onto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12