Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold GLH Turbo

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Gold GLH Turbo

Kinda unsure and on the fence what to do with his car. Having a *gold* GLH Turbo has always been my dream car and I finally got one last year!! To me, it is far cooler than having an '86 GLHS even.

I figured I'd start a plog about it and see what you guys think I should do. I am pretty impressed with the condition so I think I will leave it stock. Aside from the missing headliner, even the interior is nice....... But I could go anywhere with this build......stock, Masi 16v, TIII, TII (nah..), or even old school Spearco or Direct Connection intercooler setup.

I have to do some brake work on it but it runs and drives just fine...All original, totally unmodified. Even stock vacuum lines! I could go all out and make it 100% revertible back to stock but it just doesn't seem right. So far I have a new set of totally stock brakes (calipers/pads/rotors/drums) to put on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	62343  

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Gold GLH Turbo

I would just drive it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

How far of a drive are you from Cincy? Did you know its year of the Gold GLH at SDAC this June? Whatever you decide to do can you bring it this year?? If you're asking opinions here's mine. All stock is cool but kinda boring to drive IMO, an L body needs 200WHP to be fun and with each additional 50 they get even more fun. So the easiest route to 'fun' power would probably be just going TII. My plan is to debut GoldMember at SDAC this year with about 350WHP. It's 2.4/568/Ex Cam dizzy/SMEC and being put together in Wisconsin by the God of TIII's

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Id start by taking it completely apart. But maybe keep it original. these have gotta become collectible soon judging by you tube comments of people yearning for the past.

maybe just build it with SMEC and 89+ mechanical parts.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    How far of a drive are you from Cincy? Did you know its year of the Gold GLH at SDAC this June? Whatever you decide to do can you bring it this year?? If you're asking opinions here's mine. All stock is cool but kinda boring to drive IMO, an L body needs 200WHP to be fun and with each additional 50 they get even more fun. So the easiest route to 'fun' power would probably be just going TII. My plan is to debut GoldMember at SDAC this year with about 350WHP. It's 2.4/568/Ex Cam dizzy/SMEC and being put together in Wisconsin by the God of TIII's
    I checked just after getting the newsletter and I'm about 1300 miles away. I've already "reverted" my old black/tan GLH Turbo to stock log TI so I dunno. All options open for this one. I'm a big fan of 16v DOHC obviously though. I want to go to SDAC but I really don't want to drive the Caliber. I want to drive something old school, but 1300 miles one-way makes me nervous!

I'm not looking for big power here. My old GLH Turbo with the 2.5L "TII" and big NPR intercooler made 198 WHP and 270 WTQ and that was waaaaaay more than enough for me. Quite the hoot delivering pizza.

I was kind of in shock at how unmolested this car was when I picked it up in Green Bay last year. Maybe I will just drive it. If I do go nuts I will be sure to leave the door open to go back to dead nuts stock though.

Hybrid booster

keep it at stage 0. perfection.

build a spare motor to drop in. do some tricks to it. porting and cleaning up and what not.
    get a set of sticky 15x8 with some nice rubber. spare wheels for fun.

1,300mi is nothing. Come on out and enjoy yourself!

turbo addict

State 0 it and drive it.

If you've gotta have more power, I'd tweak up the T1a bit. Ported head intake and exhaust manifold, overbored throttle body, cam, exhaust, udp, injectors, K&N, etc. It could still look stock but be damn near 200hp!

Quote Originally Posted by vntned View Post
    If you've gotta have more power, I'd tweak up the T1a bit. Ported head intake and exhaust manifold, overbored throttle body, cam, exhaust, udp, injectors, K&N, etc. It could still look stock but be damn near 200hp!
    That's kinda what I did with my old black/tan GLH Turbo that my older brother owns now. I took out the 2.5L "TII"/big intercooler setup and went back to stock log 2.2L TI with a nice ported head from Todd Nelson. It still has it's 3" exhaust, but stock manifolds and throttle body. For a TI and 12 psi boost, it rips and is still way fun.

I was pretty surprised when I picked the car up. It was nicer than I was expecting and it's nice to know you guys agree I should just leave it's goodness alone. *Maybe* log TI w/Spearco setup though. I had originally wanted to go 16v but I don't know...now that I've done that to my SL it's not like I gotta do it to everything. Or I'm just getting old lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    1,300mi is nothing. Come on out and enjoy yourself!
    Vacation is still really up in the air at work, but we'll see. That would be pretty epic to drive my SL out there though.

I made it from western WY to my house in a day on the way home from AK. It was a long drive with some construction, but I'd do it again. SDAC is only about 5 hours away from here. You could stay the night and finish the drive in the morning.

I got all this at Rock Auto for $106. Remanufactured Kelsey-Hayes loaded front calipers, Centric premium rotors, and Centric hydraulic brake hoses for the whole car. No upgrades here, just good stock stuff to replace the old. When I first drove the car, the brakes were dragging pretty bad and I found it was the driver/front caliper wasn't releasing. It released right away when I removed the banjo fitting off the caliper though, so it looks like the hose had failed. I also lucked out and got some KYB GAJ rear shocks on eBay for the car.

I've decided I'm going to keep the car as stock and original as possible. I may be buying my old black/tan GLH Turbo back from my older brother soon, and that would be a better candidate for modding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0324_Fotor.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	62365  

boostaholic

Don't forget the Daytona big master cylinder
    It's like $20 at Autozone, more pressure!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    Don't forget the Daytona big master cylinder
    It's like $20 at Autozone, more pressure!
    All that master cylinder did was to make the pedal harder, I didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    All that master cylinder did was to make the pedal harder, I didn't like it.
    I HATED it with the D150 MC and caravan brakes in the front. Even with the 11" brakes in the rear, there was way too much pedal pressure required.

I'll probably leave the gold one stock, but I do have 24mm MC on my old black/tan GLH Turbo. It has the caravan front brakes and 11" rear disc setup. I really like it although the rears are a tad too much and can lock up prematurely under really hard braking. It has nice pedal feel though.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I HATED it with the D150 MC and caravan brakes in the front. Even with the 11" brakes in the rear, there was way too much pedal pressure required.
    interesting.... i love the d150mc and the caravan fronts and the solid rotor discs in the back. i like the hard pedal. very easy to modulate crazy stops. i love wailing the brakes and not having to worry about locking them up inadvertently. i have big legs though. short inseam for my 6' 3" height and thick.

i have d150 master, 90 caravan kh single pins, 10" rotors and lebaron solid discs with integral drum parking brake. soon to be 11" fronts with bolt on bearing knuckle and 60mm piston calipers.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    interesting.... i love the d150mc and the caravan fronts and the solid rotor discs in the back. i like the hard pedal. very easy to modulate crazy stops. i love wailing the brakes and not having to worry about locking them up inadvertently. i have big legs though. short inseam for my 6' 3" height and thick.

i have d150 master, 90 caravan kh single pins, 10" rotors and lebaron solid discs with integral drum parking brake. soon to be 11" fronts with bolt on bearing knuckle and 60mm piston calipers.

Brian
    I believe there are a few different styles of booster which can account for some difference in pedal feel too. I liked the braking on nice warm days, but many times the very high pedal effort would leave no room between nothing and locking up the rear.

Call me crazy, but I really like the 11" vented disc setup on the rear of my Omni. It is 'too much' according to some but I kinda think of it as oversteer on demand and it can be fun if you know and are ready for it. I like the stiffer pedal too. It's a trade off between modulation and pedal travel but I like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast