Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1989 Caravan project street sweeper

Garrett booster

Re: 1989 Caravan project street sweeper

Ah ok. Strangely enough it seems to run fine without it. I'll check the reading with my scan tool tonight on my way to work. Maybe it's defaulted to a value and costing me timing.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    FYI, srt injectors will throw an injector code because they are high impedance. you can mask the CEL activation for injectors in MPTune though.

they are 55lb/hr at 58psi. rc engineering has a fuel pressure / flow calculator online.

http://www.rcfuelinjection.com/technical

it should be 55lb at 58psi and 53.56lb at 55psi.

here are the fuelbatteryoffset values.

disregard the fuel pressure in that chart though. i believe it is wrong.

i believe its the thermistor for the battery temp calculations.

i dunno what value it is though. you could rob it off of another board though.

Brian

Yup, looks like you guys are right. That thermistor is for batt temp. When looking at the reading with a scan tool it sits at 5v now.

Thanks for sharing the srt injector offsets. I got the injectors in and scaled and they seem to work pretty good. AFR seems to sit right about where it did with the stock injectors under all conditions.

You were also right about the CEL coming on now due to the impedance difference. I am going to dig into MPTune and try to find the flag to turn that off.

Thanks again!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
    Yup, looks like you guys are right. That thermistor is for batt temp. When looking at the reading with a scan tool it sits at 5v now.

Thanks for sharing the srt injector offsets. I got the injectors in and scaled and they seem to work pretty good. AFR seems to sit right about where it did with the stock injectors under all conditions.

You were also right about the CEL coming on now due to the impedance difference. I am going to dig into MPTune and try to find the flag to turn that off.

Thanks again!
    sweet.

im glad its working out well.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

Pick and pull finally got a couple swb vans. Two of those weren't panel vans. ONE of those had privacy windows.

I will get a back glass to match at a later time. It's glued in and I do not want to deal with it right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Window 1.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	899.6 KB 
ID:	62626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Window 2.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	62627  

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Ah the many uses of the convert-a-bed option..
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Haha yes. That thing is such a pain in the --- to fold down by yourself that I tend to just leave it down. Worked out real well for hauling 4 quarter windows. They didn't move at all.

Now to just get my butt in gear and swap out the back window as well as get the front doors tinted.

I will also add the defroster circuit when I swap the back glass as mine has no rear defroster.

I'm not sure if someone custom ordered this van or Dodge just threw together a bunch of left over parts that day.

Convert a bed, ZERO tint, no rear defroster, turbo and manual?

I think rear tint should have been standard with the bed but what do I know?

Garrett booster

Oddity I noticed today. For some reason today I pulled up on the clutch pedal to let it self adjust. I had no logical reason for doing this as the clutch works fine. After doing that for almost my entire drive it would make a ratcheting sound every time I let the pedal retract. In other words anytime the pedal was on the floor and I released it I would hear a ratcheting noise the entire way up. I pulled up on the pedal a few more times and this didn't change it's behavior at all.

I figured I would peek under the dash when I got home *damn there's not much room around the pedal mech!* but the sound quit just as I was getting home.

I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.

How common is failure of the clutch adjusting mechanism on these rigs? From a quick glance up there it all looks plastic. If they're known to age out and fail I'll probably preemptively try to find new parts and replace them now VS on the side of the road somewhere or trying to limp it home with no clutch disengagement.

Thanks!

EDIT: Found this post. Sheesh looks way over engineered.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...al-Auto-Adjust

Name:	Clutch release diagram.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	62629  

Garrett booster

I asked on another thread but maybe it's more appropriate here.

I'm getting a Check engine light with the new high impedance injectors as expected however I cannot seem to get the light to stay off when disabling the injector fault flag in MPTune. Is there another box that needs to be checked or un checked to have it stop reporting that fault?

Thanks!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Is there only one box for the injectors? I think there can be multiple modes of fault it detects? Perhaps you didn't check the proper one for the fault? Does it list them by code number, and you used the code your getting?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Is there only one box for the injectors? I think there can be multiple modes of fault it detects? Perhaps you didn't check the proper one for the fault? Does it list them by code number, and you used the code your getting?

The only thing related to injectors I can find is on this screen shot.

Name:	MPT.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	62631  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fault code.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	62632

I think this is the code you're looking for. This is from an 87 TII cal, but I'm thinking it should be the same for the SMEC.

Garrett booster

I have totally different menus / options.

Name:	MPT1.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	62670  

Interesting. I would assume that the LM stuff I highlighted ties the mask for a code, to the code number. I wonder why that's not documented for the SMEC stuff, as it's generally much better in that regard. Off to the T-SMEC thread...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Limo tint FTW!! I LOVE that you CANNOT see thru the windows into the back of Woody unless it's at night and you use a flashlight A nice LEO bagged me that way in a CVS parking lot while I was napping at 3am one time. Other than that time, the tint got me thru a 6 month sleeping stint in that lot Visibility from the inside to outside is still good in a mini.

Name:	20140301_154651.jpeg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	62681  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I put the grainger and the vac lines on that car for the previous owner. Configured to be a short as possible for best response. If you want/need more of the poly line that's on it you can find it here: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...bing_-a-_Hoses

It's less than $20 for 100ft of it. Don't let it touch the hot cylinder head. It's melting point is high enough that if it has air around it in the engine bay you're fine, but if it touches a 180 degree+ piece of metal it'll melt shut. So routing is important. But I like it better than the factory nylon which you can also get on that site.

Good luck with the SMEC boost control. As soon as I went to a different turbo than stock it would no longer control boost and the instructions out there to work aren't very helpful. I went back to a grainger on my car at 20lbs of boost. It was just much simpler and with shorter lines.

I'm in the process of ordering some of that tubing so I am prepared to try various configurations until I am satisfied. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. What size tubing will fit the factory elbows? I have a pile of various elbows I have saved off the end of the factory tubing. 1/8", 5/32"?

2. Have you tried to heat these tubes to put bends in them? Just curious if I'll be able to make them with custom bends.

Thanks!

turbo addict

5/32 (4mm) is the smaller stuff, 1/4" for the larger lines (purge canister etc)

I want to say at one point years ago I tried it on the nylon and it didn't work out so hot. IIRC I even tried it with piece of coat hanger to make the bend and because there was still some play in the OD and ID it just came out not to factory standards.

I use the poly as it bends better and tighter than the nylon before kinking. Just have to keep it away from the Hot cylinder head/valve cover:

Tight bend out of the 4 way splitter to the FPR.

Yours should of looped around the FPR and then connected to it. I do it that way because the location of the nipple on the intake doesn't lend the line to bend quite that much on a 1 piece intake. Really once you you get going 90 degrees off the intake you don't need any drastic bends.

Full 88 T2 vac setup here

Garrett booster

Welp, a couple accidental over boosts to ~25-30 killed the head gasket. Now to ditch the Makesubitchey and go with some head studs.

Name:	HG.jpeg 
Views:	266 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	62700  

Is the van back on the road? I mentioned the convertabed a couple times at SDAC this year and thought I would check in to see how things are going with the van.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123