Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L body front brake options

Hybrid booster

L body front brake options

I need to purchase new front rotors and pads for my 87 Shelby Charger and wondering what folks are using?
    I tried the search function an all I've seen is brake conversions which I'm not interested in.

My brother in law is parts manager at a local Chrysler dealer and he said not to go OEM because most of not all vintage replacement brakes are now sub quality.

I want good quality replacement pads and rotors, cross drilled/slotted if recommended. I see FWD has Powerstop rotors available, any reviews?

Thanks

Joey

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: L body front brake options

I got new stock brakes for the Omni GLH Turbo I bought last year, but I'm waiting for warmer weather to install them. I just went to Rock Auto and got Centric premium rotors, new Centric rubber brake hoses, and Kelsey Hayes remanufactured calipers with preloaded pads.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Drilled and slotted is just for looks if the rest of your brake parts are based on the original small pads.
    You said you don’t want to upgrade, but I can say from personal experience that using the caliper from a Shadow makes a huge difference. All you need is the caliper bracket, caliper and pads. You use your original rotor and master cylinder. The shadow pad is 20% larger.
    I run this set up on my GLH with Wagner rotors and pads. I’ve run the car in auto cross events and at the drag strip. No issues.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Drilled and slotted is just for looks if the rest of your brake parts are based on the original small pads.
    You said you don’t want to upgrade, but I can say from personal experience that using the caliper from a Shadow makes a huge difference. All you need is the caliper bracket, caliper and pads. You use your original rotor and master cylinder. The shadow pad is 20% larger.
    I run this set up on my GLH with Wagner rotors and pads. I’ve run the car in auto cross events and at the drag strip. No issues.
    I agree. The single pin calipers give you a nice upgrade in swept area and in stopping power. No issues stopping from 130+mph.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Ajakeski, What year Shadow does this upgrade come from. Do the hoses line up as on my 85 Shelby Charger. Are the brackets the same 1988 through 1994 Thanks!
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the input guys.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If you're set on sticking with the stock stuff, I believe Porterfield will make you a set of pads.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

You can use the brake from any year Shadow, Lancer, LeBaron or Daytona. You need to make sure it is the single pin Kelsey Hayes caliper not the ATE caliper.

Caliper part numbers: LEFT- RAYBESTOSFRC4179

RIGHT- RAYBESTOSFRC4180

I'll take a look later and see if I have any spare brackets.

Your hoses will bolt right on. No need to change them unless they are in bad shape. One thing to check with the hoses is the area where the strut bracket wraps around the hose. The brackets tend to rust and squeeze the hose shut. I've seen it on all of my Turbo Mopars.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Your hoses will bolt right on. No need to change them unless they are in bad shape. One thing to check with the hoses is the area where the strut bracket wraps around the hose. The brackets tend to rust and squeeze the hose shut. I've seen it on all of my Turbo Mopars.
    That's exactly why I had to order new hoses. The front driver's side caliper was dragging bad because of it.

Ajakeski, I'm unsure if your answer was directed to me, but I am interested in the brackets if that was the case.
    Thanks!
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

How much braking do you really need? If it's just the occasional highway jaunt or dragstrip run, premium brand parts for the regular parts store will be fine. Bosch, Wagner, Performance Friction, etc on the rotors. Mid-grade pads.

I will say I've not been impressed with Wagner ThermoQuiet sem-metallic pads.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Because I'm interested in doing this swap, I did some research on Rock Auto to be sure parts were available. For those who may not know this, it appears that the ATE caliper appeared in 1991 on Shadows. I noticed that the Raybestos brand brake pads were metallic instead of semi metallic.
    Questions, why did Chrysler go to the ATE caliper, was there an improvement over the Kelsey Hayes single pin caliper?
    Metallic brake pads, good, bad? Semi metallic better?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Metallic is probably the same as semi-metallic. They stop better than ceramic, but put out more dust.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Thanks all.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Because I'm interested in doing this swap, I did some research on Rock Auto to be sure parts were available. For those who may not know this, it appears that the ATE caliper appeared in 1991 on Shadows. I noticed that the Raybestos brand brake pads were metallic instead of semi metallic.
    Questions, why did Chrysler go to the ATE caliper, was there an improvement over the Kelsey Hayes single pin caliper?
    Metallic brake pads, good, bad? Semi metallic better?
    My 87 Sundance and 87 CSX had ATE installed from new and they suck, on my DD they fade when hot and like to warp rotors, others have noticed this a well. I ran the KH single pin on my Sundance DD for a few years and they were acceptable. I do like my 11" KH dual pin 60mm brakes that I now have better.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Miles, thanks for that info. The brakes on my Charger seem to be ok but the single pin swap sounds easy and relatively inexpensive. 20 % more swept area should improve braking a little and give an extra edge for when I'm fooling around out here in the country.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

..... 20 % more swept area should improve braking a little.
    When I changed from the ATE to KH single pin it was significantly better. Like night and day in my case
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

I used the 60mm single pin KH calipers on my old Omni GLH Turbo and it made a hell of a difference. I used Raybestos "Super Stop" pads. For parts store pads I like those and Raybestos "PG Plus".

Ajakeski, I'm unsure if your answer was directed to me, but I am interested in the brackets if that was the case.
    Thanks!
    The new Centric brake hoses (for the front) come with a new bracket attached.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    When I changed from the ATE to KH single pin it was significantly better. Like night and day in my case
    the old ATE (87-88 in my experience) is terrible. the KH single pin is way better than the ATE around that time period.

im not of the difference of the newer stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast