Thread: Radiator Fan Replacement

Garrett booster

Radiator Fan Replacement

My TII Spirit R/T has been overheating due to radiator fan not working. I want to replace the fan with something better than the stock one. I read some of you used the flex-a-lite 394, the derale 16514, etc. But without a shroud, I think it would turn out worse than using a good used stock one. The radiator is the same as the TIII radiators.

So does anybody know of a replacement (with shroud) that would be better than the stock one? In case I can't find a better replacement, I have access to a new Mopar motor for the stock fan.

turbo addict

Re: Radiator Fan Replacement

My friend and I all uses Volvo 940/960 fans.

Volvo radiator fan amp draw. - Page 2

turbo addict

The stock fan, but with mini van blade on Matchbox died 3 years ago...replaced entire thing with an aftermarket one but didn't cool as good as the stock one. That one died after only one year, so in went another aftermarket one...that cooled even worse! My remedy was to add an oil cooler...20 degrees cooler in hot weather and in traffic. I would stick with stock if possible and add an oil cooler if I had to do it over again. Or...try a twin fan set up.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by 19luis8510 View Post
    My TII Spirit R/T has been overheating due to radiator fan not working. I want to replace the fan with something better than the stock one. I read some of you used the flex-a-lite 394, the derale 16514, etc. But without a shroud, I think it would turn out worse than using a good used stock one. The radiator is the same as the TIII radiators.
    What gain are you expecting with an aftermarket fan? My experience is that a properly working stock fan is very good...

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    What gain are you expecting with an aftermarket fan? My experience is that a properly working stock fan is very good...
    My flexalite 394 is slimmer, quieter, and draws less power than a stock fan. No shroud, but it covers 80% of my aluminum TII rad, and I've never had a problem staying cool with it.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I used the Derale 16926 fan/shroud assembly on my Shelby Lancer with the Masi 16v transplant. I would think it would work pretty good on just about any TII/TIII radiator. I am using the TU aluminum radiator. I'm really happy with it. I also got the Derale mounting kit so I didn't have to use those through-the-core mounting ties (I hate those things).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16926

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I would say have the rad recored and a new stock fan, should work fine after that. Other option is to build a shroud out of sheetmetal that an aftermarket will bolt into.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

have you confirmed it's your fan and not the fan relay causing your problems?

best mopar fan was the metal two blade one from the shelby chargers (not the base omni/charger fan) but it is the loudest of the bunch - corroded blades are a fail - must be clean and smooth

the plastic fans are about nothing but noise reduction

the metal 5 blade daytona fans were total garbage

a shelby charger fan with the flat pac GLHS motor would be my own preference for my car

- - - Updated - - -

also , someone (4 L bodies??) posted a pic of an aftermarket fan installed in the o-e mopar shroud
    so that's a way to make things work easily too

I used the Derale 16514 on my old Omni GLH Turbo with the stock radiator. I had a local heating and A/C company make me a low profile sheetmetal shroud. Worked great.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I used the Derale 16926 fan/shroud assembly on my Shelby Lancer with the Masi 16v transplant. I would think it would work pretty good on just about any TII/TIII radiator. I am using the TU aluminum radiator. I'm really happy with it. I also got the Derale mounting kit so I didn't have to use those through-the-core mounting ties (I hate those things).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16926
    How does that shroud fit the radiator? That one looks very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I would say have the rad recored and a new stock fan, should work fine after that. Other option is to build a shroud out of sheetmetal that an aftermarket will bolt into.
    I have a brand new 3 row copper radiator. I will look into making the shroud too if I can't get any direct fit, which I think will be the best thing to do but I don't have tools to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    have you confirmed it's your fan and not the fan relay causing your problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post

best mopar fan was the metal two blade one from the shelby chargers (not the base omni/charger fan) but it is the loudest of the bunch - corroded blades are a fail - must be clean and smooth

the plastic fans are about nothing but noise reduction

the metal 5 blade daytona fans were total garbage

a shelby charger fan with the flat pac GLHS motor would be my own preference for my car.

Pretty sure. The fan works when I unplug the temp sensor, but it does not work at all even if it gets full hot. I already changed the relay and both the temp sensor and the sending unit and still does not work unless I unplug the temp sensor.
    Last edited by 19luis8510; 03-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.

How does that shroud fit the radiator? That one looks very good.
    It fit the TU aluminum radiator with only some very minor trimming around the radiator hose I/O. I used this mounting kit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16744

It allows you to bolt the shroud to the radiator header panels instead of those thru-core ties. The 16926 fan is a little loud but it is powerful.

Hey that reminds me, I think I bought an OEM TIII radiator from you for my Spirit R/T project. It's still in the box though. I was actually planning on getting another 16926 for it. It's a nice unit for the price and the fact that it includes a nice shroud. I would pull the 16926 out of my SL and test fit it, but it is a huge bear to get that sucker in and out with that Masi intake manifold sticking way out. TIII fitment would be way easier.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Hey that reminds me, I think I bought an OEM TIII radiator from you for my Spirit R/T project. It's still in the box though. I was actually planning on getting another 16926 for it. It's a nice unit for the price and the fact that it includes a nice shroud. I would pull the 16926 out of my SL and test fit it, but it is a huge bear to get that sucker in and out with that Masi intake manifold sticking way out. TIII fitment would be way easier.
    Yes! I was selling those radiators a lot. That's the radiator that I will be using with the fan. If you test fit the 16926 in the three core anytime soon please let me know! I think that's the best option until now.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Pretty sure. The fan works when I unplug the temp sensor, but it does not work at all even if it gets full hot. I already changed the relay and both the temp sensor and the sending unit and still does not work unless I unplug the temp sensor.[/FONT]
    That sounds like a bad sensor maybe. If the sensor never reads hot enough to tell the computer to turn the fan on, it won't. Sounds like the relay wiring is okay since it comes on when you unplug the coolant sensor. Computer should be fine by that same logic also. So I would try another new coolant temp sensor and see what it does.

Only other possible thing I could think of is if it's a custom cal and someone moved the fan-on temps up instead of down, for some reason/by accident.

Edit: Also, what do you mean when you say full hot? Have you checked actual temps with a heat gun?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Pretty sure. The fan works when I unplug the temp sensor, but it does not work at all even if it gets full hot. I already changed the relay and both the temp sensor and the sending unit and still does not work unless I unplug the temp sensor.
    That is very interesting. Are you saying that when the engine is hot the fan does not come on at all? Have you put a scan tool on to verify that the computer is seeing a reasonable value for the temperature?

Sounds like the circuitry for reading the sensor may be marginal. Still able to detect no sensor, but not accurately reading the sensor... If so a computer would solve the problem... Or you could get an aftermarket fan controller... (that is probably cheaper.)

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I used an off-the shelf Hayden fan assembly on my Horizon for years. Never had an issue. That fan would cycle so fast on the hottest of days, it had to me moving plenty of air.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=