Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: 5-speed shift knob for 1989 LeBaron GTC

Garrett booster

Wanted: 5-speed shift knob for 1989 LeBaron GTC

Anybody have a good (cosmetically & functionally) 5-speed shift knob in their parts bin? I assume they can be interchanged "easily"? The pull-up mechanism on mine sometimes sticks. I think there might be something broken inside. Let me know how much with shipping to 15237. Thanks!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Wanted: 5-speed shift knob for 1989 LeBaron GTC

The reverse lock out (Pull-up) is a seperate part from the shift knob. Chrysler offered a repair kit for those, Arizona parts may have one.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    The reverse lock out (Pull-up) is a seperate part from the shift knob. Chrysler offered a repair kit for those, Arizona parts may have one.
    Thanks! I have spent a good bit of time on Arizona, and I haven't been able to figure out what I need. Does anyone have a part number for the pull-up, lock-out part?

4636074 J,G body pull up pkg

do not have

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by martin kolner View Post
    4636074 J,G body pull up pkg

do not have
    Thanks Martin. You are correct, Arizona does not have it. Does anyone else know where I can find this part? Thanks!

turbo addict

LOL that's funny, Martin/Marty IS Arizona parts. Have you exhausted the OEM parts searches by Googling the part #? You could try your local Chrysler dealer and have them do national check. Vintage Parts perhaps? There are several companies that specialize in Mopar OEM obsolete parts. If you find one from one of these places, you probably won't like their price.
    If you do take yours apart to see what is wrong with yours, drive the roll pin out at the bottom of shifter, don't try to take apart at the pull up ring. They'll break for sure that way. Usually they just break and pull up ring doesn't function. You might try adjusting your shifter to see if that helps. The spring at bottom of shifter is what sounds like is hanging up on yours.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Sorry Todd, and thanks for the info. I did not know that. Makes sense though based on what he said. Learned something new today. Yes, I think I have found all of the online places selling vintage parts (including Arizona). I have certainly tried a bunch of them, including an online Chrysler dealer. Have not tried a national search through my local dealer, which seemed like a last-resort. So, how do I access the spring and "adjust the shifter"? Sounds like a bigger job than I envisioned. Thanks again! Reed

I found a few of these while looking for something else.

$25 plus shipping if you need it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6792.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	62286  

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Last one in the world, price just shot up to $250...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

You will need to remove console so you can access shifter. To adjust the shifter on your 89 520/555 you need to lock the tranny in neutral at the tranny. On the shift selector housing on top of tranny, there is a pin about 1" tall sticking out of it that needs to be reversed. This will lock the tranny in neutral. Then at the shifter you will need to loosen the cables (natural colored plastic). HOWEVER, before you loosen cables, be sure to locate the plastic bushing with screw. You should find the plastic bushing loosely attached to the rear of the shifter. This bushing gets sandwiched between the body of the shifter and the shift rod. The screw that is attached to the bushing is a left hand thread (CCW). Snug it down lightly. Then you readjust natural colored plastic shifter cables to 70 inch pounds, being careful not to move them while tightening. Remove the plastic spacer block and remove the pin from top of tranny and reverse pin.
    If you can't follow this LMK, I could scan FSM and post it up. It has some illustrations to help. Like AJ said, prices can get pretty crazy sometimes when they are almost extinct.
    For $25, I would jump all over that NOS shift cable selector that Andy has if you end up needing one.
    Todd

BTW there is a place actually called "Vintage Parts" that your local Chrysler dealer probably orders from occasionally. They should know exactly who you are talking about should you inquire about doing a national search for this part.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    I found a few of these while looking for something else.

$25 plus shipping if you need it.
    Hey Andy. Thanks. I'm sure that's a good price, but as I understand it, it's not the right part for my car. Here's what I found in my research:

4443 404 P,A,H body RING PACKAGE, G/Shift Lever, Reverse Pull-Up
    4636 074 J,G body

So, the part I "may" need is 4636074 and not the one you have. If it was, I'd be all over it. Thanks again!

Todd: I have two volumes of the FSM. Can you tell me which volume/page I can find this on? It sure sounds like something more complicated than I had hoped. You had originally mentioned the "spring at the bottom of the shifter" that was hanging up, but I did not see anything in your writeup about a spring. Maybe I just need to see the picture to make better sense of it?

Thanks to all for the help. I certainly understand it much better than I did when I posted, but I'm still learning. Reed

I'll go through the collection and see if I have that part number. There were three different styles of shifters used for the 520/555 transmissions. I think they are all documented in the 1988 service manual. Your best bet woud be to see what shifter is actually in your car and then go from there. Start with Todd's advice and go from there.

turbo addict

there's the knob , the ring and then the strip that runs down the inside of the stick it's self

most likely it's the actual internal strip you need , not the ring portion you lift with your fingers

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    there's the knob , the ring and then the strip that runs down the inside of the stick it's self

most likely it's the actual internal strip you need , not the ring portion you lift with your fingers
    From what I read, that does seem to be what fails most often. However, mine basically just occasionally sticks, so it seems like it might be different than the normal problem. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Last one in the world, price just shot up to $250...
    I could sell it all and retire early

From the 1988 Service Manual
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6801.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	62288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6802.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	62289  

turbo addict

Reed,
    In the 89 engine, body, chassis, manual the shifter cable adjustment instructions are in section 21 figures 1, 7-10. I'd be curious what the difference is between the two part #'s. I know they had different length shifter shafts, but the plastic internal strip also has 2 different holes for different length shifter shafts on everyone I've seen. I know the P body used a shifter with a small curve to it, while the G-body cars used a straight possibly slightly shorter shift lever. Probably just a different length plastic strip.
    The return spring is at the bottom of the shaft. After removing the roll pin out and removing one c-clip the spring can be removed. I've seen plenty of these springs rusty, but never seen one so rusty it stopped functioning.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Todd

turbo addict

89 G body used the shorter curved shifter too
    every 89 I've ever seen had one

does the reverse lock out mech stick or is it the shift to reverse that's sticky?

lockout sticking might just be 30 years of filth inside the shifter mech

reverse shifting issues could be the shift alignment OR the clip on the cable is lose / cable damaged or such

I had a guy pass by and ask if I could do his shift alignment as he could not put his car into reverse
    turned out the clip was missing from the cable mount on the trans bracket

shifter alignment is easy IF the special reverse threaded bolt is still attached to your shifter base by it's special retainer loop

EVERY car got one of these little bolts included under the console attached to the leg of the shifter base

it threads into the passenger side of the shifter to lock it in place

there is a pin on top of the trans that is removed , flipped over and threaded in so that the pin locks the shift mech on the trans into place

the ends of the cables are then loosened and retightened - this should set the cables to the correct length adjustment

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    does the reverse lock out mech stick or is it the shift to reverse that's sticky?

lockout sticking might just be 30 years of filth inside the shifter mech

reverse shifting issues could be the shift alignment OR the clip on the cable is lose / cable damaged or such
    OK. I think these questions might help zero in a bit. There's lots of good info here, but I want to make sure I'm solving the right problem. Unfortunately, it's been about four months since I've driven the car because it's in winter storage, so my memory is fading a bit. As I recall, this is what it is doing. About 10% of the time, the pull-up (PU) won't come back down after shifting from reverse to drive. I think that prevents me from shifting into first until I get the PU to come down. Does that make sense? I know that whatever it does, it prevents the next step, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a problem with it going into reverse. The PU just doesn't release when shifting back. Does this change any of your answers? I sure hope I'm remembering it right. Problem is that I don't think I can make it happen. It just does it one or two times in 10.

The way it acts makes me feel like a shot of WD-40 in a critical spot will make it better. I just wanted to do the right thing and not mess anything up. As DJD said, maybe it's just crudded up with 30 years of dirt. If so, what should I try. Thanks! Reed

turbo addict

well , the WD-40 can't make it worse
    if it helps a little white lithium grease would work even better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast