Thread: Buying a caliber

Mitsu booster

Buying a caliber

I'm getting ready to buy a Caliber SRT4 that has 168,000 miles on it it's mostly stock is that too many miles for these cars or is it okay if the guy says he's taking real good care of it

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by neon9; 02-18-2018 at 08:07 PM.

turbo addict

Re: Buying a caliber

Check struts, ball joints, tie rods, and both front and rear crossmembers for excessive corrosion.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

do those have the timing chain issues like the evo version of that motor?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Some here have said they do but in my 6 years at a Dodge dealer I've never seen a timing chain problem on a world engine.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I can't comment on the car as a whole, but the only issue I've run into with the world engine is that idiotic decoupling pulley on the alternator.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I can't comment on the car as a whole, but the only issue I've run into with the world engine is that idiotic decoupling pulley on the alternator.
    They took a perfectly reliable denso alternator, then ruined it by putting that stupid pulley on them. Some other engines use them too.

Mitsu booster

It looks like the guy has kept up with the maintenance on the car at 117000 he said he had to change the transmission and put a new clutch in it it's had new struts and brakes put on it recently and the timing chain was changed at a 163000 I guess I'm just worried how does the turbos hold up cuz where the miles are how I always worried about it blowing turbo seals or they good and don't have to worry about that

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

turbo addict

Haven't seen many issues with turbos. I just bought an 09 for my daughter last fall. Timing chains seem to be an issue as people are changing them and have had them let go. My daughters recieved a brand new Mopar motor 30k miles ago. I don't know why though. A friend had to have his motor replaced as well because of rod bearing issues. Seems like the chains and the rod bearings are the weak link. The cross members I hear have a lifetime warranty depending on what area of the world/states it was purchased in. Mine is a canadian car and while there's a little rust on the rear cross member it isn't worrying yet.

Her's came with BC coil-overs, an MPX strut tower bar, progress rear sway bar and 25mm wheel spacers rear and 20mm spacers up front. The car is a whole lot of fun to tear around in. Like driving a go-kart on the street.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I can't really speak about any high mileage issue on my '08 CSRT. I've owned it since new but I still only have about 52k miles on it. So far the only things I've had to do to the car are:

1. New tires at 42k miles (original/optional Goodyear F1s lasted surprisingly long...)
    2. New battery last year (original almost 10 years old!).
    3. Brought it in for a TSB regarding the front control arm bolts not being tightened sufficiently from the factory. It caused a clank when nailing the throttle but they had it fixed in 1/2 hour.
    4. Brought it in for a warranty repair after running over a rabbit. It went *through* the rear wheel and tore up the wiring for the TPS.
    5. The black textured tape next to the driver's door started peeling and was replaced under warranty.

That's it. I change the oil/filter every 5000 miles. The car is rock solid but terrible in the winter so it's put away right now. I have modified it with the Mopar MS1 ECU and that helped a lot. Stock boost was about 12 psi and the throttle response was lethargic. The MS1 puts the boost up to 16 psi and the throttle response is better but I'd rather have a cable TB any day.

I'm very pleased with the car and glad I bought it. It's the ultimate road tripping machine!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Haven't seen many issues with turbos. I just bought an 09 for my daughter last fall. Timing chains seem to be an issue as people are changing them and have had them let go. My daughters recieved a brand new Mopar motor 30k miles ago. I don't know why though. A friend had to have his motor replaced as well because of rod bearing issues. Seems like the chains and the rod bearings are the weak link. The cross members I hear have a lifetime warranty depending on what area of the world/states it was purchased in. Mine is a canadian car and while there's a little rust on the rear cross member it isn't worrying yet.

Her's came with BC coil-overs, an MPX strut tower bar, progress rear sway bar and 25mm wheel spacers rear and 20mm spacers up front. The car is a whole lot of fun to tear around in. Like driving a go-kart on the street.

A few years ago I was shopping for a turbocharged sedan of some sort. It came down to a 2008-2010 Cobalt SS sedan or Caliber SRT4. I ended up going with the Cobalt because of the rod bearing / timing chain issues I have read about but the biggest thing at the time for me was the availability of short blocks / new engines. At that time they were on back order and extremely expensive.

That being said as the internet usually goes, people generally only go online to post problems and not to just go say things are working fine.

OP, as with any car. Mileage is only one factor. I have come across lots of low mile trashed cars and high mile gems. It all comes down to the life it's lived to be honest.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I almost bought an HHR SS instead of the Caliber.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I was just looking for a family car that wasn't a total snooze to drive. When I found out they came in Blue, I tracked one down and had it shipped from Houston. Kept it completely stock . . . for about 6 months.

Mitsu booster

My brother has a black 08 SRT4. I blew stock clutch at 75k miles. Got a stage III clutchmasters with aluminum flywheel. It makes the car way more agile and better feel. The problem with the stock clutch is that it has a spring that shoots your leg back up if trying to be slow. A heavier duty clutch and lighter flywheel will make you not hate the car.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk