Thread: 2.4 exhaust mani/header recommendation

Hybrid booster

2.4 exhaust mani/header recommendation

The 2.4 project that I just helped get up and running has the stock PT turbofold on it and we’re looking to upgrade that shortly to a Garrett DBB turbo and looking for suggestions on which exhaust manifold to use. I’ve seen everything from cheapo $99 ebay ones, all the way up to a $1300 tubular one, but have no experience with the 2.4 so any advice would be appreciated.

We’re leaning towards the ATP (looks like it’s around $350), but are curious about the $120 ebay tubular ones. The motor is in the back (bed) of a rampage, so as long as the manifold doesn’t put the turbo up to above the motor (want to be able to put the bed cover on it still), fitment/placement of the turbo shouldn’t be of concern.

Here’s a link the one of the ebay specials that has me intrigued: https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-S...-/401248077159

Thanks!

Jon

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: 2.4 exhaust mani/header recommendation

If I am to recommend one, it would be a tubular manifold from Slowespeed.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

What are your hp goals? If under 550-600 I would go with AGP , then ATP..Treadstone also makes one that is cheaper, but sometimes you have to pay with the fitment. Over 600, need to be tubular. Slowespeed, Tunergeeks, Adam Veile, Realtune and of course DCR....all make good products. Not sure on Brians cost, but the rest will be north of 1k. I'd stay away from the Ebay tubulars....they tend to crack.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the input. The trucklet is caged and he's looking for low 10's. The front motor is basically a stock T2 with bigger injectors and a 3 bar map and it puts down just under 250 whp. So I'm guessing the 2.4 in the back of the trucklet will need to make around 300-350 whp to get him into the low 10's. So no where near the hp numbers listed above!

Looking like we'll pass on the tubular one and go with one of the cast ones as that should more than meet his needs.

turbo addict

Loving another 2 engine turbo-mopar!!!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Jon is that Merrill's trucklet you are working on?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    Thanks for the input. The trucklet is caged and he's looking for low 10's. The front motor is basically a stock T2 with bigger injectors and a 3 bar map and it puts down just under 250 whp. So I'm guessing the 2.4 in the back of the trucklet will need to make around 300-350 whp to get him into the low 10's. So no where near the hp numbers listed above!

Looking like we'll pass on the tubular one and go with one of the cast ones as that should more than meet his needs.
    If that's all you need to make, I would try my luck with one of the eBay manifolds available for under $100.

My other thought is, build one 5-600hp engine for the back and forget about the front one.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Yup - Merrill's trucklet. For those of you who aren't familiar, Merrill built this twin engine rampage more than 20 years ago. He initially ran 2 stock T2's and then about 10 years ago he built a 2.5 (forged pistons, eagle rods, all the goodies) for the back of the truck and had a 100 shot nitrous setup for it. A few years ago he had a mishap with the nitrous and blew out a cylinder wall. Since he likes to be creative and play, he decided to try a 2.4 instead for the back motor. We finally got everything pieced together and we fired up the 2.4 last week.

There's no way he's only going to run 1 motor. The whole point of this truck is to be different and run two motors. And this isn't any ordinary rampage. It has a wide body kit on it and runs 9" wheels all the way around. It looks like no other rampage you've ever seen!

Another fun fact - I was with him when we blew out the 2.5 motor - the loudest, most destructive engine failure I've ever experienced! And the fun part? We drove the truck back to the shop because we still had the front motor to power us along! LOL!

Jon

Hybrid booster

Sounds like a real neat project/build

I remember getting a ride in that rampage 20 years ago when i was at Merrill's shop with Gus, getting some exhaust work done on one of my vehicles at the time. (I think it was my Grand Cherokee Orvis...)
    Oh what a fun car!
    It was because of Merrill's success with the rampage that Gus's plan for Mean Mini was to dual engine her. He even had a complete drivetrain saved for the project. But, it never happened...and although i would like to, not sure it will.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Garrett booster

hands down obx.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Sanblas...-/171861976959

if price is an issue .. the $150 agp (or clone log)

i'm running a s3 manifold.. with a 20g evo8 turbo.. hit 450.. new setup is a evo9 with a 9 blade turbine and extended tip 20g compressor 11 blade

- - - Updated - - -

i have a new (never installed) sdk clone evo turbo welded on the stock turbo.. those typically make 350

- - - Updated - - -

dan/flame red makes a 800+ tubular and he's local (edison nj)

Hybrid booster

EDIT: got bitten by the quick post, blank pic forum bug! Hopefully it's corrected now and pics show up.

That OBX looks interesting.

FYI - I was wrong on the wheel size I posted above. Fronts are 8.5 and rears are 10.5. After sitting for nearly 3 years, the rampage saw it's first glimpse of daylight today. We took it for a test drive, but the 2.4 t-smec cal we used definitely has an issue. Felt like the launch control was active until about 25-30 mph. Engine revs fine in park/neutral, but as soon as you try to drive it, the engine surges like it's hitting rev limiter until about 25-30 mph. I'm going to make a post in the ecu section shortly.

Here's some pics of her in all her dusty glory:

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180217_103027small.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	62188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180217_103018small.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	62189  
    Last edited by jonnyb; 02-18-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Pics not worky
    Wayne H.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

EDIT: got bitten by the quick post, blank pic forum bug! Hopefully it's corrected now and pics show up.

That OBX looks interesting.

FYI - I was wrong on the wheel size I posted above. Fronts are 8.5 and rears are 10.5. After sitting for nearly 3 years, the rampage saw it's first glimpse of daylight today. We took it for a test drive, but the 2.4 t-smec cal we used definitely has an issue. Felt like the launch control was active until about 25-30 mph. Engine revs fine in park/neutral, but as soon as you try to drive it, the engine surges like it's hitting rev limiter until about 25-30 mph. I'm going to make a post in the ecu section shortly.

Here's some pics of her in all her dusty glory:

Jon
    It didn't take long to get spotted lol, there's a guy on the Rampage group on Facebook that took pics and posted, trying to found out who it was I linked him to this forum, he said he just wanted to let the guy know who the crazy a-hole in a Pathfinder was that was blowing the horn and cheering him on
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

Now that is funny! Yup - he was going so crazy yelling and giving thumbs up that he almost drove straight through an intersection and crashed his pathfinder! Merrill and I were thinking "what the heck is he on?" LOL! Thanks for posting this because the truck was running like crap and we weren't sure if he was busting our stones due to it bucking and chugging along, or whether he was into the rad little trucklet. Now we know!

Merrill will get a kick out this.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Now that is funny! Yup - he was going so crazy yelling and giving thumbs up that he almost drove straight through an intersection and crashed his pathfinder! Merrill and I were thinking "what the heck is he on?" LOL! Thanks for posting this because the truck was running like crap and we weren't sure if he was busting our stones due to it bucking and chugging along, or whether he was into the rad little trucklet. Now we know!

Merrill will get a kick out this.
    Yup, he loved it lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

FWIW I have the OBX tube header on mine. On the list to make one but it's worked for a while now... since I fixed it ... wastegate gasket never sealed so welded a pipe on instead of using that wide 2-bolt flange... it warped so fly-cut it flat afterwards... you know basic stuff LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

Hey this is the crazy driver in the Pathfinder here! I really did almost crash didn't I? Lol I totally LOVED that little rampage man, and that's before I knew it was dual engined! Haha anyway I got a few pictures of it too! Totally badass ride man I'm a starion enthusiast myself but that rampage commands respect! I could hear it wasn't running tip top, but I could also tell that thing has some power! I work in Vernon I'd love to come talk to you guys about it or see it in person. Awesome truck man! I just HAD to find you, I joined two rampage Facebook groups and shared the pictures I took! I was like "if ANYONE knows the owner, please let me know!! Everybody loved it BTW