Thread: cooling fan

cooling fan

Here i am again with another problem... d@#n it!!!! My cooling fan is coming on at wierd times. The car will be riding at 1/4 on the gauge and the fan kicks on...sometimes it just stays on...car is a 90 spirit. is this the relay going bad or the coolant temp sensor??? Any input is appreciated...

Re: cooling fan

Do you have your defrost on? It will kick the A/C on, which turns on the fan.

no defrost is on...when you first start up the car, the fan is off then after it gets to operating range (1/4), sometimes the fan will just cycle on...the car isn't even hot!!! sometimes it will go off and sometimes it stays on for a long time...was riding this morning to work and noticed the temp gauge not even getting above 1/4. when i stopped, i noticed the fan had been running. i have put in a overide switch because the fan was not coming on until 3/4 or a little past...then would only cycle on for like, 1 minute; then go back off and the temp gauge would sill be over half way. a/c don't work in the car anyway...could this be a bad coolant temp sensor??? i've noticed gas mileage isn't great lately neither....23-25 on the highway and 16-18 in town...it's a 5 speed...

You know my Daytona was doing something similar when I first got it. Turns out the sender for the temp guage was shot and it really was running hot. I found out by hooking up the OTC. DO you kow anyone with a scanner? At least then you could see what the ECU thinks is going on.