Thread: Alternative to front Konis

Hybrid booster

Question Alternative to front Konis

Hello. I'm needing to know if there's a contemporary off the shelf alternative to the stock front Konis, that could utilize the GLHS springs. My struts are tired and need to be rehabbed ($$$$), and I'd like to put a standard set on just for daily driving.

I had previously tried to do this on my wife's GLHS with a set of Gabriels and the stock GLHS springs were too short. In her case I ended up having to get standard Dodge Shelby springs and they made the car sit higher and I didn't care for the ride.

I also see Sachs offers a strut--

turbo addict

Re: Alternative to front Konis

Koni struts are available for L bodys.

http://www.fwdperformance.com/Store/...0shocks/struts

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Anything will work if you just need to roll the car around for a few weeks.

How long will the struts need to be gone to be reubuilt? Seems like installing other struts and aligning the car just to do it all over again when you get your Koni's back seems a bit extreme.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Well, I checked out the Konis at FWD, they go for about double the cost of having all four of mine refurbed.

My question here is does anyone have any experience as to if there is an off the shelf (like a Sachs or other) strut that will work with the GLHS front springs? As mentioned I ran into this issue with my wife's GLHS and in trying to install a set of Gabriel's (IIRC) found the rods were physically too long, and I had to use springs from a standard Dodge Shelby. I've looked at the specs for the Sachs, which the extended length seems very close.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I’ve had KYB GR-2 struts with LRE springs on my GLH. It rode and handled well. I autocrossed it a few times too. Konis handle 100 times better.
    I had Sachs struts on a LeBaron, after about 1500 miles they were leaking. Moog struts on a minivan lasted about 4000 miles. I haven’t had a KYB fail yet.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 87glhs View Post
    Well, I checked out the Konis at FWD, they go for about double the cost of having all four of mine refurbed.

My question here is does anyone have any experience as to if there is an off the shelf (like a Sachs or other) strut that will work with the GLHS front springs? As mentioned I ran into this issue with my wife's GLHS and in trying to install a set of Gabriel's (IIRC) found the rods were physically too long, and I had to use springs from a standard Dodge Shelby. I've looked at the specs for the Sachs, which the extended length seems very close.
    To my knowledge, the S cars did not receive different springs from Shelby.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

I thought the S cars had non AC springs on them.
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Pretty sure this is correct.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

From Mopar 2.2/FWD speed secrets & racing modifications
    for Chrysler FWD cars book:

Front Springs:

85 lb.in. standard,
    120 lb.in.heavy duty and firm feel,
    145 lb.in. Shelby and 180 lb. in. MP Autocross and Rallying.

Rear Springs:

90 lb.in. standard
    110 lb.in.HD, 135 lb.in. Shelby and
    145 lb.in. MP Autocross and Rallying.

The LRE Autocross springs (according to Bill Lambros) are

195-200 lb.in. front

185 lb.in. in the rear.

turbo addict

I have not heard that #'ed cars received the non-AC spring, but I can tell you the MP REAR springs (part# p4120801) were GLH non-AC springs. I bought a set thinking upgrade for my GLHT and they came in with same HD 323 red stripe stickers on them. 4228323 was full part #.
    I can also tell you from looking at my broadcast sheet and stickers in receipt box that GLH non AC FRONT springs were XHD blue stripe 036 right and 038 left. Now if someone has a lower mile GLHS that still has stickers on springs, we could confirm whether or not they got non AC springs or not. I wonder how many GLH's out there are running L+R spring reversed after getting their Koni's serviced (lol).
    Todd

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

It seems to me that you are right Todd. Only the rear springs were affected on the GLHS. The more I hear of this, the more I can recall, it seems (whew, its been a long time).

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

Here is another reason why the 86 GLHS cars squat so much in the rear. Look at the spring perch on this GLHT spring and GLHS Koni right along side of it. Well, that and the springs sag too.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8181.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	62138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8180.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	300.5 KB 
ID:	62137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8177.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	62139  

I noticed the height difference when I put Koni's on my 87 GLHS. Unofrtunately ,the front Koni strut spring perches are the same height as stock non Koni struts.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I have not heard that #'ed cars received the non-AC spring, but I can tell you the MP REAR springs (part# p4120801) were GLH non-AC springs. I bought a set thinking upgrade for my GLHT and they came in with same HD 323 red stripe stickers on them. 4228323 was full part #.
    I can also tell you from looking at my broadcast sheet and stickers in receipt box that GLH non AC FRONT springs were XHD blue stripe 036 right and 038 left. Now if someone has a lower mile GLHS that still has stickers on springs, we could confirm whether or not they got non AC springs or not. I wonder how many GLH's out there are running L+R spring reversed after getting their Koni's serviced (lol).
    Todd
    I have some pics of a 6k mile 86 GLHS in my gallery pics. Found one pic of a front spring with a blue/green striped tag reading 037 XHD. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/ph...g-6899&cat=727.

The rear spring's tag has a red strip and appears to read 323 HD. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/ph...g-6901&cat=727

Hopefully the links work. Otherwise hop out to my gallery and enjoy looking at a low mile garage queen.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Thanks 86Shelby for looking into that. So that tells me that 86 GLHS cars did receive the standard AC equipped GLHT XHD springs in the front, while the rear 323 springs were all the same (whether equipped with AC or not).
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Appreciate all the info. I installed a set of KYB's with new bumpers and upper bearing caps, found both Konis still had oil but the gas was long gone.

The stock GLHS springs fit fine, though I did notice a difference between the DS and PS coils. DS seemed to have a slightly heavier coil and had no rubber spacer on top. PS was lighter weight and had a rubber/steel pad. My car is numbered in the mid-200's and also had the shortened '86 windshield decal, so IDK.

My wife's was a higher numbered (600's) build and her two Konis were assembled identically.

As I mentioned I attempted to use her springs with Gabriel struts (new) we received with an '86 Dodge Shelby Charger we bought for parts. Her springs were too short for these struts, yet the stock springs from the '86 bolted up fine. Horrid ride though, bounced all over the road.

Again, thanks.