Thread: oil cooler

oil cooler

what oil cooler system do yall use on 2.2l turbo?

thanks,

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: oil cooler

Sandwich style under the oil filter.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

5/8" hose
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Who makes the system yall run?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Usually the nearest junkyard. I'm using 2nd Gen RX-7 coolers on my R/T's. The sandwich adapters are a modified Derale universal kit. Like John said above -10 hose minimum.
    Last edited by DOHCRT; 01-23-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: additional infomation

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Hybrid booster

turbo addict

if you gain 2 or 3 hp by porting/matching the pump to block .. how much power do you think the cooler and lines will use? (pushing the extra oil mass)

cooler needs to be level with adapter and have no large height difference - going or coming from the cooler

used cooler .. BAD IDEA

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    I need to upgrade the cooler on my roadrace 86S the small one in the front airdam installed by PO just isn't pulling the heat outta the motor. I like the priced on this kit, last one I made from individual parts was over $300. Not a big fan of red and blue AN fittings tho, since they came out with the black ones I've tried to use those exclusively. Don't suppose you know of an ebay kit set up with black?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

AJ, Stick with a good quality oil cooler, Mocal or Setrab not a made in China imposter. Pegasus or Racer Parts Wholesale (companies that actually race their stuff) would be where I would look. They have kits to fit most applications. I've had a Mocal in my GLHT for 25+ years. Zero issues.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I need to upgrade the cooler on my roadrace 86S the small one in the front airdam installed by PO just isn't pulling the heat outta the motor. I like the priced on this kit, last one I made from individual parts was over $300. Not a big fan of red and blue AN fittings tho, since they came out with the black ones I've tried to use those exclusively. Don't suppose you know of an ebay kit set up with black?
    Just researched on ebay. added black.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...it+19&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Row-AN-1...t/282214091430

honestly you cant even get a mishimoto or movetech core for that much.

These turbo engines put alot of heat in the motor if driven hard.

They make bigger coolers. but i didnt wanna block too much of the radiator.

its also china fittings.. wouldnt trust them to much.
    might just wanna get the cooler and plate from ebay. order nicer quality fittings.
    I could feel the crappiness in the fittings when holding them. the edges, the cuts..

The cooler itself it tits though.

turbo addict

For a daily driver I like the simple oil to coolant sandwich coolers. Benefit to those is it gets the oil up to temp faster. Bad thing is they tax your cooling system a little bit. For auto x/road racing an oil to air is what I'd go with.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

JIC 37* hydraulic fittings are equivalent to AN fittings. Main difference is they are made of steel or stainless or brass, usually made in US, cheaper, and they don't scream "look at me."

For the Ramerati, I found Valley Hydraulic Service and Discount Hydraulic Hose to be good online sources for both JIC push-lock fittings and hose that is spec'd for engine oil @ 300*+. Lots of plain black hose is available; you do not have to buy that pricey blue Parker-Hannifin "look at me" hose. The push lock hose does not require clamps but with the good hose can be very hard to assemble by hand. Even with push lock fittings, I still put some crimp style band clamps.

5/8" JIC fittings can be harder to find 1/2"

You will also find that most sandwich adapters and remote oil filter brackets are made for 1/2" NPT fittings which typically have a 3/8" ID feeding 1/2" hose. So . . . . to keep it all at nominal 5/8" ID you have to adapt 1/2 to 5/8" or drill and re-tap. There are 5/8" JIC - 1/2" NPT fittings; I enlarged the IDs. Of course, the IDs of 5/8" and AN-10 fittings are typically about 1/2" and they feed hose that is a true 5/8"

To avoid cold engine over pressure to the cooler, sequence the filter before the cooler.

The typical sandwich style adapters often have simple expanding spring type thermostats which are also a point of pressure drop. Depending, your's might be portable. There's a Volvo OEM thermostat with 5/8th passages but I couldn't make it fit.
    Last edited by johnl; 01-23-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I ran a Derale cooler on my GLH. It didnt come with the correct oil filter adapter, but they sent one to me.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15603/overview/