Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89 Lebaron GTC question

Garrett booster

89 Lebaron GTC question

Was the 2.5 turbo also available in the GTC in 89?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 89 Lebaron GTC question

Yes. There was one in a Yard not far from me about 6 months ago. I thought about grabbing the engine from it. Decided I really didn't need/have room for it.

The 2.5 turbo was available in just about everything in 89 except the L-body, and the C-body (Dynasty/New Yorker FWD).

Garrett booster

thanks for the info. I have stumbled across a really mint low mile GTC and knew they came with the T2s but wasn't sure what other engine options they had. Is there a data plate decoder on this site? I have some pics of the car and the plate but have not seen it in person yet

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Barraguy View Post
    thanks for the info. I have stumbled across a really mint low mile GTC and knew they came with the T2s but wasn't sure what other engine options they had. Is there a data plate decoder on this site? I have some pics of the car and the plate but have not seen it in person yet
    No decoder on this site that I am aware of. The factory service manuals have them though. If you post a picture, I'm sure someone will chime in and help decode.

I would actually rather have a GTC with a 2.5 TI in it. The long stroke motor will give you much better torque to get that heavier car moving. And if you upgrade later, it gives you more low end grunt than the 2.2.

I'm actually running a 2.5 I upgraded to TII+ status in my Scamp, and it is an animal. Especially in a lightweight L-body...

If an 89 GTC has an automatic it's a 2.5L TI, if it has a stick shift it's a 2.2L TII. I've had both, one I swapped from an automatic to a stick shift and the other was a TII. Both were great cars. The 2.5L was probably a little better.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Hybrid booster

8th letter in vin tells the engine. A is 2.2 Turbo II, J is 2.5 Turbo I. Another easy way to tell is the intercooler. If it has an intercooler, it's a 2.2 Turbo II, if it does not, it's a 2.5 Turbo I. 2.2 Turbo I was no longer an option in 89.

Garrett booster

Was the 2.5 turbo also available in the GTC in 89?
    Sorry! I tried to post this when you first asked, but the system continued to lock me out. Here is some additional info for you.

This is both a yes and a no question. There were two types of GTCs in 1989. I have one of the "Shelby" GTCs, which had all of the racing mods that came with the Daytona. This included the 11" brakes, 16” wheels (205/55-16), Shelby springs, strengthened 2.2L with a forged crankshaft and connecting rods, intercooled Garret T03 turbo II (175 hp with 12 psi boost) and a 5-speed manual transaxle A555 Getrag four-pinion differential (rather than the two-pinion piece in the 520) and bigger 230 mm clutch assembly, with 3.85 final-drive gear ratio. The only car that shared parts (Shelby Z package) were the Daytona Shelbys and the Daytona CS. FYI, the intercooled Turbo II setup (engine and turbo) was painted black.

This version only came in the 2.2L (no 2.5L), and there were 1,033 coupes and 906 convertibles in 1989. The standard GTC without all of the go-fast mods came with the Turbo I in the 2.5L (no 2.2L) and automatic. There were 2,343 coupes and 1,814 convertibles with the Turbo I and 2.5L manufactured in 1989.

BTW, there were some 5-speeds in the 2.5 Turbo I in 1989.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89BaronGTC View Post
    [FONT="]Sorry! I tried to post this when you first asked, but the system continued to lock me out. Here is some additional info for you. [/FONT]

[FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]This is both a yes and a no question. There were two types of GTCs in 1989. I have one of the "Shelby" GTCs, which had all of the racing mods that came with the Daytona. This included[/FONT][FONT="] the 11" brakes, 16” wheels (205/55-16), Shelby springs, strengthened 2.2L with a forged crankshaft and connecting rods, intercooled Garret T03 turbo II (175 hp with 12 psi boost) and a 5-speed manual transaxle A555 Getrag four-pinion differential (rather than the two-pinion piece in the 520) and bigger 230 mm clutch assembly, with 3.85 final-drive gear ratio. The only car that shared parts (Shelby Z package) were the Daytona Shelbys and the Daytona CS. FYI, the intercooled Turbo II setup (engine and turbo) was painted black.[/FONT]

This version only came in the 2.2L (no 2.5L), and there were 1,033 coupes and 906 convertibles in 1989. The standard GTC without all of the go-fast mods came with the Turbo I in the 2.5L (no 2.2L) and automatic. There were 2,343 coupes and 1,814 convertibles with the Turbo I and 2.5L manufactured in 1989.

BTW, there were some 5-speeds in the 2.5 Turbo I in 1989.
    You could have gotten the TII engine in the H body cars also. They did not receive the big brakes and sway bar though.

Garrett booster

Thank everyone for chiming in with all the good info. The 8th letter is a j, so it’s a 2.5. It’s also a 5 speed though. Does this mean it doesn’t have all the Shelby goodies? I’m going to get a picture of the data plate and will put it up when I do

You would probably have to check it out to see for the suspension and brakes. I've found some pretty crazy combinations of options on the Lebarons that have come with the big brakes over the years in the JY.

As far as the engine goes, it won't be intercooled, but that's not a big deal. The turbo will be smaller too, but again, not a big deal. I actually prefer the 2.5 in almost all of my cars. I would certainly prefer it in a Lebaron vert I planned on daily driving.

Garrett booster

Thank everyone for chiming in with all the good info. The 8th letter is a j, so it’s a 2.5. It’s also a 5 speed though. Does this mean it doesn’t have all the Shelby goodies? I’m going to get a picture of the data plate and will put it up when I do
    As far as I know, Your answer would be yes. Your car does NOT have all of the go-fast goodies. There was a very limited number of the GTCs with all of these mods. As I understand it, they came in only red and white with the body-color grill. The HP difference is about 30 with the 2.2L + Turbo II pulling 175 vs. about 140 HP in the 2.5 + Turbo I. According to my numbers, the Turbo I with 5-speed is still pretty rare. There were 1,814 of the convertibles made in 1989 (about twice the TIIs @ 906). Enjoy your LeBaron!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

They were actually available in other colors too, just not as common I guess. My 5spd 89 Turbo GTC hardtop is factory Pewter Metallic.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    They were actually available in other colors too, just not as common I guess. My 5spd 89 Turbo GTC hardtop is factory Pewter Metallic.
    I may be wrong, but I do not think the pewter metallic is the fully modded go-fast GTC. Does it have the 2.2L with Getrag 5-speed, 11" brakes, etc, etc.? Bottom line, there are GTCs that do not have these special mods, like the one owned by the OP. If yours is a color other than white or red and has all of the special mods I mentioned in my first post above, I sure would be interested in finding out a production breakdown by color! With only 906 convertibles made, that makes any color more rare if there were more than two.

Garrett booster

To clear something up, I have not bought the car yet. How do I post pictures? Do I need to go to a 3rd party hosting site?

By far, the best way to post pics on here is to link to them. Flickr works well for me.

Garrett booster

Good question on the photos. Thought I'd see if I could post one of my go-fast GTC.

Garrett booster

here it is can anyone tell me what this car is GT, GTC ?

Garrett booster

Here is a VIN decoder for your number: http://harvii.tripod.com/vin.html. From what I can see on this, it looks like it's a 1989 highline convertible with a 2.5L turbo I made in St. Louis. According to production numbers, there were 13,814 of those manufactured.

Garrett booster

I may be wrong, but I do not think the pewter metallic is the fully modded go-fast GTC. Does it have the 2.2L with Getrag 5-speed, 11" brakes, etc, etc.? Bottom line, there are GTCs that do not have these special mods, like the one owned by the OP. If yours is a color other than white or red and has all of the special mods I mentioned in my first post above, I sure would be interested in finding out a production breakdown by color! With only 906 convertibles made, that makes any color more rare if there were more than two.
    According to the 89 Sales brochure the 89 GTC could come in Flash Red, Light Pewter, Bright White, and 2-tone Black with a Dark Pewter bottom. I have seen all these colors. From my understanding the GTC's that got the auto/2.5 combo still got the 11"brakes just like an 89 Shelby Daytona with the 2.5 auto. The 2.2/ 5-speed cars and 2.5 auto cars were exactly the same with the exception on the motor and transmission.

Barraguy, could it be a GT? If the side moldings are body color it would be a GT. The GTC's cars had a Black molding. I saw a 89 Lebaron GT convertible 5-speed for sale on craigslist the other day which I think is the car you are referring too. It's white, with burgundy interior 5-speed 2.5 Turbo. If it is look closely at the pics, the steering column is grey which means it had been changed.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Mine is a hardtop, not a vert, if it makes any difference. It was a factory 2.2 T2 A555 car with the big brakes and swaybars. Factory Pewter color with a tan interior (taupe?), leather enthusiast seats and a factory sunroof. If I remember correctly it's one of 1033 T2 5-spd coupes built in '89. I don't think anyone has the break down of colors yet though. But it is pretty rare. I have a friend who has it's sister, 89 Turbo GTC hardtop in two-tone Light Pewter with a Dark Pewter bottom, tan cloth interior and a luggage rack.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast