Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 89 Lebaron GTC question

Garrett booster

Re: 89 Lebaron GTC question

That's interesting Rob. I wonder if only the convertibles were red & white? Sure would like to hear from anyone who has a factory 2.2 T2 A555 GTC convertible (x of 906) that is other than white or red.

Garrett booster

Thanks for all the input every one. It's for sure not as rare as I had hoped but still a sharp looking car. thought maybe I had came across a vert with go fast goodies installed already. Oh well

turbo addict

My friend in San Antonio has a nice brown with saddle interior 89 GTC TII. I has nice ported be me +1mm head, intake, and exhaust manifold, s-60 turbo, SS exhaust, 3-bar calibration. Looks pretty much dead stock. I should have a picture of it somewhere. He is never on either of the forums though. He is also an original 86 GLHS owner.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    My friend in San Antonio has a nice brown with saddle interior 89 GTC TII. I has nice ported be me +1mm head, intake, and exhaust manifold, s-60 turbo, SS exhaust, 3-bar calibration. Looks pretty much dead stock. I should have a picture of it somewhere. He is never on either of the forums though. He is also an original 86 GLHS owner.
    Todd
    Hey Todd. I'm curious if the San Antonio car is a coupe or convertible.

turbo addict

Sorry reply with quote not working for me. Car is a convertible. Yup, TII, 555, original paint, big brake car, car has zero rust & pretty much has been garaged it's whole life. It is a pretty nice car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140313.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	62021  
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 01-23-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added pic

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Sorry reply with quote not working for me. Car is a convertible.
    Todd
    That's very interesting Todd! If that was original from the factory, what I thought I knew might be wrong. I assume it's a five-speed? Love to see a photo if you find one. Thanks for the info!

turbo addict

photo added in post # 25.

Garrett booster

Learn something new every day! Sure would like to know how many of the go-fast GTCs were made in each color since there were only 906 total. I used to assume it was about half & half red & white. With black in the mix, that means even fewer white ones (like mine) were produced.

Hybrid booster

I also want to chime in, if it is a GTC in 89, the automatics also got the suspension and brakes even with the 2.5 auto combo. And the 2.5 with the quicker spooling turbo and auto work nicely together in my opinion to move a fairly heavy convertible.

The GT was more or less an appearance package on a mid level lebaron highline.

Mitsu booster

GTCs were basically a Daytona Shelby underneath. Had an 89 2.5 Turbo GTC, great off the line torque. Now have a 90 GTC-VNT manual, and that 2.2 with balance shafts is a monster comparatively, stock for stock.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by gtcvnt90 View Post
    GTCs were basically a Daytona Shelby underneath. Had an 89 2.5 Turbo GTC, great off the line torque. Now have a 90 GTC-VNT manual, and that 2.2 with balance shafts is a monster comparatively, stock for stock.
    Sorry, but I don't entirely agree. The '89 GTC (like mine) that I described earlier is, in fact, the Daytona Shelby sister. It has the 2.2L with the turbo II and all the rest of the go-fast goodies. The 2.5L with the Turbo I is NOT the Daytona twin. It may have some of the go-fast mods added, but I think they would be options. The 906 convertibles with the 2.2L Turbo II had all of the following, and there is no guarantee that the 2.5s did. This is how I understand it based on much research. "Included were 11" brakes, 16” wheels (205/55-16), Shelby springs and sway bars, strengthened 2.2L with a forged crankshaft and connecting rods, intercooled Garret T03 turbo II (175 hp with 12 psi boost) and a 5-speed manual transaxle A555 Getrag four-pinion differential (rather than the two-pinion in the 520) and bigger 230 mm clutch assembly, with 3.85 final-drive gear ratio. The only car that shared parts (Shelby Z package) were the Daytona Shelbys and the Daytona CS." Bottom line is that not all GTCs were created equal in 1989.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 89BaronGTC View Post
    Sorry, but I don't entirely agree. The '89 GTC (like mine) that I described earlier is, in fact, the Daytona Shelby sister. It has the 2.2L with the turbo II and all the rest of the go-fast goodies. The 2.5L with the Turbo I is NOT the Daytona twin. It may have some of the go-fast mods added, but I think they would be options. The 906 convertibles with the 2.2L Turbo II had all of the following, and there is no guarantee that the 2.5s did. This is how I understand it based on much research. "Included were 11" brakes, 16” wheels (205/55-16), Shelby springs and sway bars, strengthened 2.2L with a forged crankshaft and connecting rods, intercooled Garret T03 turbo II (175 hp with 12 psi boost) and a 5-speed manual transaxle A555 Getrag four-pinion differential (rather than the two-pinion in the 520) and bigger 230 mm clutch assembly, with 3.85 final-drive gear ratio. The only car that shared parts (Shelby Z package) were the Daytona Shelbys and the Daytona CS." Bottom line is that not all GTCs were created equal in 1989.
    The 1989 Lebaron GTC with the 2.2 Turbo II and the 1989 Lebaron GTC with the 2.5 Turbo I had the same brakes, wheels, and suspension. The only difference is the motor and transmission. Same thing with the 1989 Daytona Shelby, the 2.5 Turbo I with the auto had the same brakes, wheels and suspension as the 2.2 Turbo II cars.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1991SpiritES View Post
    The 1989 Lebaron GTC with the 2.2 Turbo II and the 1989 Lebaron GTC with the 2.5 Turbo I had the same brakes, wheels, and suspension. The only difference is the motor and transmission. Same thing with the 1989 Daytona Shelby, the 2.5 Turbo I with the auto had the same brakes, wheels and suspension as the 2.2 Turbo II cars.
    I don't believe that's entirely accurate. The 89 Daytona Shelby with the 2.5 TI and auto could have come with snowflake wheels. I don't believe those cars were equipped with the 11" brakes. The 89 TII Lancer Shelby came with snowflake wheels and the smaller brakes, swaybar, etc.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I don't believe that's entirely accurate. The 89 Daytona Shelby with the 2.5 TI and auto could have come with snowflake wheels. I don't believe those cars were equipped with the 11" brakes. The 89 TII Lancer Shelby came with snowflake wheels and the smaller brakes, swaybar, etc.
    The only wheel you could get on a 89 Shelby Daytona was the 16 inch pumpers. The Snowflakes were on the ES/ES Turbo cars and the C/S performance package. I have a 89 2.5 auto Daytona Shelby. The only reason I bought it was for the 11" brakes that are on it. It sucks that the 89 Turbo II H-body cars never came with 4 wheel disks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991SpiritES View Post
    The only wheel you could get on a 89 Shelby Daytona was the 16 inch pumpers. The Snowflakes were on the ES/ES Turbo cars and the C/S performance package. I have a 89 2.5 auto Daytona Shelby. The only reason I bought it was for the 11" brakes that are on it. It sucks that the 89 Turbo II H-body cars never came with 4 wheel disks.
    I see. I always thought this was correct information? It lists the 2.5 auto as an option. I thought those cars received the snowflakes.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...uction-Numbers

ETA: It does list the 205/55r16 wheels on there. I guess I've just seen enough Daytona Shelby cars with snowflakes on them to think that's how they came.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I see. I always thought this was correct information? It lists the 2.5 auto as an option. I thought those cars received the snowflakes.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...uction-Numbers

ETA: It does list the 205/55r16 wheels on there. I guess I've just seen enough Daytona Shelby cars with snowflakes on them to think that's how they came.
    That production-number info is great! Do we have the same thing for the 1989 LeBaron GTCs? I would love to have the breakdown by color and other equipment.

I believe it's out there somewhere, but I don't know exactly where it's at. One of the best spots to look is the rare vehicle thread on here. There are a few links and other production number snippets throughout the thread.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89BaronGTC View Post
    That production-number info is great! Do we have the same thing for the 1989 LeBaron GTCs? I would love to have the breakdown by color and other equipment.
    This thread has pretty much all the info we've found on them so far

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ht=Lebaron+gtc
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12