Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4 hours of porting today, TU Header

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: 4 hours of poring today, TU Header

Don't let anybody get to you AJ. I've gotten flak before too and there is always somebody out there that can theoretically do it better. It looks really good from here.

The flanges look fine to me unless Moparzrule wants to get a straightedge out and measure those pics. Freaking internet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    That would be zero times that the carbide bit touched the head face side of the flanges MoparzFool. One underlying theme I've noticed in your posts over the years is that you think your the only one who knows how to do sh!t. Have you ever wondered why you rub TM members the wrong way? Probably don't really care tho right? We're all just hacks and you're a God anyway...
    Really, name calling? Thats mature.

I seem to recall you porting more than just the head face side of the manifold, but I guess that doesn't fit into your narrative very well.

The underlying theme is calling out people who think they know what they are doing and try to instruct others. Anyone that asks for porting advice I gladly give many tips and tricks to.

Honestly I wouldn't have even bothered to respond to your thread until I saw the way you replied to Chris. You completely misinterpreted the reasoning for his post, as expected from your reading comprehension skills, and I explained that in my first post. You didn't reply at all to the factual post, only to the trolling post with a lame response. Congrats.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

This feels like the last episode of Seinfeld. I'm pretty sure we've been here before. Can we avoid another insane thread in which people threaten physical violence over the porting of exhaust manifolds please? We were making memes in the last one before most of us knew that they were memes. Perhaps we've become older and wiser?

Hybrid booster

gotta love the internet.. the other guy on the other end of the keyboard is always better than you.
    everyone loves making snarky personal comments.

I really don't see a ton of PORTING in the sense of changing shapes and directions. and volumes.

I see some gasket matching and some flash removal.

Maybee all the internet warriors. and keyboard heros can get off the soap box of trying to convince other people how bad those people are and how awesome they are.

MAYBE as a community we should build each other up and not constantly try to bash each other to make ourselves feel better.
    Maybe some of you people need to get over yourselves. Maybe you arent perfect.. I mean you are still screwing around with 30 year old 4 cyl dodge cars.. . have some humility.

This is all I hear:

Let's all step back and remember that this is a hobby and we do it for fun.

I do like seeing other peoples work myself, even though there are a lot of things I have no experience with (porting, ECU tuning etc).

It looked to me like AJ had a critique of the header and Chris responded professionally and can defend his products just fine.

And...Moparzrule you are digging yourself a hole by labeling all of us as drunken idiots. If you think you're so much better than everybody else than fine. But don't expect anybody to listen to your rants.

Hybrid booster

Chuck Norris' beard does the best porting of all!

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Chuck Norris' beard does the best porting of all!
    Now that I cannot argue with haha

There is a way to make your point and you are failing at it terribly. There is a time and place for letting it all hang out and describing SDAC attendants as a bunch of drunken idiots will get you nowhere. Most of these guys work on their cars all year, and SDAC is where they can unwind and show their stuff. I would imagine a lot of them take vacation from their jobs to attend and have a good time.

If you climbed out of a hole, I'm happy for you, but I think Chris is perfectly capable of defending his products without you making an --- of yourself.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The bulk of the garbage has been removed. It should stay that way.

but I think Chris is perfectly capable of defending his products without you making an --- of yourself.
    Amen...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

More progress yesterday, this is gonna be a sweet upgrade!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180121_160416.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	62012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180121_161529.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	62014  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I think you are going to like that.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

You will have issues using that turbo with the cast header.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    You will have issues using that turbo with the cast header.

Chris-TU
    You know it's not a P Body right?😉 I still have a few days before there is any kind of mock up, I still have to disassemble, modify the head a lil(TU cast header support complete removal of the D area of the exhaust ports so why wouldn't I cut them out&#128526 clean up the shape and the casting flash *inside the turbo and SV assembly, maybe mess with the 90 degree on the Intake mani etc but since I haven't run into fitment issues yet, what challenges do you see during reassembly? On a more private note to you Chris (on a public forum right?&#128513 we've known each other over 20 years right? And while I have made many positive observations and feedback with TU parts, I've had some critiques of the ones that I felt came up short of my expectations (It's human nature to dwell on those and more harshly remember that subset I suspect) in no way did I expect my OP in this thread would be taken as a bash on the header, I just wanted to show some cutting skilz to improve on the design and tho I made a call out on the 'air bubble' (not my term but mentioned in the thread) at the head flange that was just an observation(still gonna bill you for that tho&#128521. Did I mention that I'm excited about this upgrade to the TU cast header?) I belive in the header enough to have bought 5 of them over the years. More progress lics to follow. So call off your troll (JK Bro ;-) )

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

turbo addict

Just can't wait to see it up and running again .

You know it's not a P Body right?😉 I still have a few days before there is any kind of mock up, I still have to disassemble, modify the head a lil(TU cast header support complete removal of the D area of the exhaust ports so why wouldn't I cut them out&#128526 clean up the shape and the casting flash *inside the turbo and SV assembly, maybe mess with the 90 degree on the Intake mani etc but since I haven't run into fitment issues yet, what challenges do you see during reassembly? On a more private note to you Chris (on a public forum right?&#128513 we've known each other over 20 years right? And while I have made many positive observations and feedback with TU parts, I've had some critiques of the ones that I felt came up short of my expectations (It's human nature to dwell on those and more harshly remember that subset I suspect) in no way did I expect my OP in this thread would be taken as a bash on the header, I just wanted to show some cutting skilz to improve on the design and tho I made a call out on the 'air bubble' (not my term but mentioned in the thread) at the head flange that was just an observation(still gonna bill you for that tho&#128521. Did I mention that I'm excited about this upgrade to the TU cast header?) I belive in the header enough to have bought 5 of them over the years. More progress lics to follow. So call off your troll (JK Bro ;-) )

Parts that are cast will have flashing, parting lines and core shift which requires port matching. Everything you have done so far looks great and you will be rewarded for your time invested. Would be interested in seeing what your finished product flows. Take it to Ed!!

Now, on to the issue mixing Gen 1 DBB GT Turbo with Gen2 Hybrid header Space becomes considerably tight behind the engine because our Hybrid Header shifts the entire turbo over around 3 inches. The larger than stock GT compressor cover/wastegate actuator has to contend with the heater core tubes, brake booster and firewall on all the body platforms. The early Gen1 DBB GT Turbo CHRA was machined a little bit deeper into the compressor cover than the Gen2 creating a conflict with the transmission case. Bolt the engine and transmission together before test fitting the older turbo on our Gen2 header. Removing the small amount of material from the transmission case is alot easier when it's not in the engine bay. Or you could just swap to a Gen2 turbo and your problem would be solved.

Sorry, but it's only been about a year since I have known you AJ. However, I once met a guy named Alan Jones 25 years ago at a CA SDAC event in Las Vegas. 😃 I also met Tim Pettijohn, Pat Pedroza, Guy Pagan and Jim Craig. Yes, you have purchased quite a few parts from me over the years. The only critiquing I recalled was regarding our Stage 3 Yellow clutch. You thought we just painted a stock pressure plate yellow and called it an upgrade. You were skeptical but praised the clutch a few years later once you installed it. I will forever be indebted to you though for your support in 2007 when you brought the plastic TU cast header replica for display at SDAC. What you did was unexpected and VERY much appreciated.

Matt is passionate about the porting work he does. I feel the same way about the products we sell. Sometimes things are typed without using our own personal keyboard filters. I know I have been guilty of that myself. Our intentions are good though and we just want to convey the experiences we have had over the years.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

More progress yesterday, this is gonna be a sweet upgrade!
    what sort of chamber work do you have there.

Another TU Hybrid Header install we are closely following :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chry...6655818187312/

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    what sort of chamber work do you have there.
    Sharp eye Upon teardown this motor is full of surprises I thought I had ported this head for Forza (the PO) back in the day but I guess the one I did was for his other S or his CSX or his Consulier or... He's had dozens of SD/TM's Anyway, this one is CNC ported and I like what they did in the chambers I still gotta get the valves out to see what attention the bowls need if any. I definitely want more width out of the runners but I think i'll need less than 2 hours of cutting for that. Other surprise so far is that the block is O ringed. Kinda old skool but still kewl I'll take more pics as I go along.

Hybrid booster

Looking forward to more pics. valves look stock? or at least un remarkable. there is still a gap between them.
    CNC chambers huh... wonder if anyone is still doing that. or has the programs and just doesn't advertise.
    Im looking at a G head i would like the chamber done on.
    its just much more specific precise porting than runners i dont want anyone to try it by hand.
    other than a simple lay back on one wall.

G head is a different animal, first one I reworked in the summer of 89 (for the red 87S) I'm sure I ruined. The machine shop I swept the floors at in Judsonia Arkansas (in trade for being allowed to use the machines and expertice of Max and Jackie the two brothers that owned Hughes Machine ,the builders of Bill 'Golden' Mavericks Lil Red Express) At the time the conventional wisdom and theory on turbo motors was leave inane side of the head alone, force boost thru it and concentrate on making exhaust side flow (hey wait, that's still the theory 30 years later lol) we sourced some INTAKE valves from a 1.8l Caterpillar diesel motor to use as EXHAUST valve in the G head, we only had to shorten them and recut the keeper groove. The stems were the correct .313 fortunately so kept the guides. I hogged the Sh!t outta those bowls and ports. The lil red car that all the deer eating locals hated on at the local tracks because it was a 'four banger went from 9.70's in the 1/8th to 8.99 dial in. Kinda a big deal back in the stone ages😁 Anyway G can flow crazy numbers for an 8V head(&#128539 just takes extra time and parts. And a tune but that's so easy these days at least for you kids that want to understand and dabble in calibrations.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast