Thread: GLHS ground wire upgrade

Hybrid View

Hybrid booster

Question GLHS ground wire upgrade

Hello. I just repaired my firewall to fuelrail ground strap today after having some odd driveability problems and noticing it had broken--

Anyway, FWD sells an upgrade kit made of stinger wire--has anyone here purchased that kit, and where/how does it install?

Looking under the hood I'm seeing the (-) from the battery landed to the block and firewall, the firewall strap I just mentioned, and the one that jumps the PS motor mount. ?

Any info on this would be great, thanks!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: GLHS ground wire upgrade

I have not personally tried the ones FWDP sells, but I made my own for my Charger using the same wire, soldered lugs for the ends, and quality heat shrink tubing. They've held up for over a decade now, and of all the problems the car has given me, electrical gremlins is not one of them.

Now my Daytona is a different story . . .

I have a set and haven't had any issues. I don't think I used every one of them, but they are nice quality for sure.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Which wires did you guys replace? The one on the PS firewall is obviously an important one. The only others I'm aware of are the ones on the PS motor mount, which has clips, and the two leads that come off of the negative battery terminal/post.

I only did the fuel rail and one from the alternator. I probably should do one from the side motor mount since I have the cable.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have the FWDP ground kit installed on two cars (SL and GLH Turbo) and they installed and work great. The Stinger wire is very flexible which is nice for routing.

Hybrid booster

What wires came in the kit for your car, and did you have to do any mods to attach them, or were they all plug-play?

I've asked FWD about this, no reply. I have an oddball wire on my passenger side motor mount that has clips on it versus ring terminals.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Another one I like to do is from the body of the alternator to the engine block, as the alternator itself is isolated by rubber bushings.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Another one I like to do is from the body of the alternator to the engine block, as the alternator itself is isolated by rubber bushings.
    Isn't that where the large ground on the head on the driver's side comes from. I know it goes from there to the -bat terminal, but I believe it starts at the alt.?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Isn't that where the large ground on the head on the driver's side comes from. I know it goes from there to the -bat terminal, but I believe it starts at the alt.?
    Yes, you are correct, The alternator ground wire is spliced in to the engine ground wire which connects to the negative side of the battery terminal.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

The FWDP ground wire kit contains four wires.

One from the negative battery terminal to the driver side inner fender just behind battery.
    Another from the driver side inner fender to the driver side of the cylinder head.
    Another from the driver side of the cylinder head to the alternator case.
    Then another from the firewall to the fuel rail hold down bolt.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Look up "the big 3" and you'll see what needs to be replaced. Alternator + to battery +, battery ground to chassis, and engine ground to chassis. Any other grounds help that you can find, like any of those thin braided ground straps.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Can't have enough grounds.

I guess that the early O2 sensors grounded through that metallic exhaust pipe doughnut?

- - - Updated - - -

Can't have enough grounds.

I guess that the early O2 sensors grounded through that metallic exhaust pipe doughnut? Or, they didn't need one?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Actually, it is possible to have too many grounds causing ground loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Actually, it is possible to have too many grounds causing ground loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
    This is exactly the reason we use "Star grounds" high end electronics especially for Analog signals.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Hybrid booster

I do this on all my old cars..
    I used to play with car stereo stuff. subs amps. yadda yadda.

Obtain 10 foot of 4-8 ga cable.
    obtain a dozen ring terminals.
    Obtain a click-no-start kit for a 3000gt or fuel pump hot wire kit for the same vehicle.

Install click click no start.. install fuel pump hotwire kit.
    create ground from battery to nearest metal frame piece.
    redo ground on back of intake to fire wall.
    create ground from side mount to timing area.
    create ground from top of trans to body.
    Create ground from alternator to body.

just makes the whole freaking car run better. sound better.. cant hear the fuel pump whinning with the blinker any more. all sorta nicer stuff.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I stand corrected, thanks Tryingbe.
    So, different "potentials" are cause to run grounds to a common spot.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia