Didn't want to clutter up the other HEP issues discussion thread, so starting another specific to some issues i have with Mini.

I posted somewhere about my logs showing what appears to be very small timing advance numbers in boost. It seems like the number is off by about 10-12 degrees.
Today i hooked up the drbII because i wanted to check some things.
I had previously assumed mpscilink was maybe altering the actual displayed/logged timing advance. But the DRBII concurred with the previous observations. At idle in park the timing showed 1deg. Checking with a timing light showed the flywheel mark at about 12deg, and bouncing around.

I removed the cap/rotor/HEP and found i have the "good reman" distr. with the metal rivets. But there is some gear lash, and maybe a tiny bit of extra clearance with how the rotor engages the shaft.
So question 1, how do you adjust to take up the lash??

2. Why is the timing light showing timing events at about 12 BTDC, and the DRBII says advance is 1 deg? (This was checked with CTS plugged in, not like a normal timing reference setting process), which should have the advance showing up before the window, so like 20-18° BTDC.

I don't understand it.