Thread: Cometic MLS .027 Gasket Torque

Garrett booster

Cometic MLS .027 Gasket Torque

This may be a stupid question but I couldn't find a direct answer anywhere. When using the cometic MLS gasket is the torque steps for the head gasket any different? Would rather ask than torque a 100 dollar gasket wrong and possibly ruin it.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Cometic MLS .027 Gasket Torque

You should be sure to follow first the surface prep specified by Cometic. They require a certain surface finish. Also you do need to be sure the deck surface and the head surface are true.
    Then, you have to follow the torque spec for the fasteners you are using. Bolts vs studs have a bit difference technique and ARP hardware recommends their assembly lubricant.
    For torque sequence/order use the FSM diagram. It basically starts from the center bolt and rotates in a circular rotation to the next bolt. Follow that diagram.

As far as what the final torque number you should target, there is almost as much debate as some of the other hot topics. And some folks use a different torque at the four corner points than the rest of the head bolts/studs (Ed Peters recommendation IIRC)
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Yeah I decked the block and milled the head to an almost mirror finish. I think we had to take .012 off the head and .008 off the block. Was a little more than I wanted to go cuz my compression is at 11.8:1 and I was shooting for 11.5 but 11:8 should be fine. I can always mill a few thousandths off the tops of the pistons to bring the ratio down a little.

I am using regular head bolts so I'll just use the FSM torque specs and sequence as usual. Just wasnt sure if the MLS had different specs than the regular graphite gaskets do

Thanks!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enduro74 View Post
    Yeah I decked the block and milled the head to an almost mirror finish. I think we had to take .012 off the head and .008 off the block. Was a little more than I wanted to go cuz my compression is at 11.8:1 and I was shooting for 11.5 but 11:8 should be fine. I can always mill a few thousandths off the tops of the pistons to bring the ratio down a little.

I am using regular head bolts so I'll just use the FSM torque specs and sequence as usual. Just wasnt sure if the MLS had different specs than the regular graphite gaskets do

Thanks!
    No need to do extra machine work.
    Cometic makes head gaskets for our cars in all sorts of thicknesses.
    0.027", 0.030", 0.036" and other thicker ones.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini