Thread: brake pads

Garrett booster

brake pads

I haven't been on here in a while but I got my Omni up and running and Im trying to get itroad course worthy this summer.
    I have the caravan front calipers, and vented rear discs from Daytona. I just have part store pads and they suck! they are ok for street but what do people run for track day I need some bite.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: brake pads

I've heard Porterfield is the place to call.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Carbotech also either has pads or can re-puck pads with different compounds as well.

Focus on the fronts....the rears are more than you'll ever need most likely.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have the same brake setup on my old Omni GLH (brother now owns). I used Raybestos "Super Stop" pads. The car stops excellent, but the rear brakes are a bit too much. Stabbing the brakes to initiate oversteer can be fun as long as you are familiar with it. Hind sight - I should have went with 10" solid rear discs or just left the drums on the back.

Garrett booster

Porterfield dosnt list anything on their site so I will have to call Monday. I will also look into carbotech. I figured the rears would be overkill, but I knew I could always use a adjustable proportioning valve to reduce them. I will honestly probably just get some good front pads first then go from there. Thanks!

Hybrid booster

I purchased mini van front pads from porterfield a few years ago along with drum shoes for my Shelby charger from them. Like previously stated as long as you have the backing plates they can repad with their compounds.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I have the same brake setup on my old Omni GLH (brother now owns). I used Raybestos "Super Stop" pads. The car stops excellent, but the rear brakes are a bit too much. Stabbing the brakes to initiate oversteer can be fun as long as you are familiar with it. Hind sight - I should have went with 10" solid rear discs or just left the drums on the back.
    10” solid rears is solid advice. My Omni was all over the place in the rain or cold if I hit the brakes hard at all. It’s difficult not to when you’re used to insanely short stopping distances

turbo addict

yeah I can vouch for the L's being really too light in the back end - this is what causes issues

I'll also add that unless you can find rear disc backing plates without notches worn in the "ways" the pads fit to , you're probably going to regret the rear disc conversion as the pads will rattle BADLY on every single imperfection in the road surface
    ( in twenty five years rear anti rattle clips have proven to be elusive)

the standard issue shelby charger brakes are already good - I don't think the 10 inch rear disc conversion is going to improve it any
    the front brakes .. different story

I started considering the caravan rear discs , simply because I can get the backing plates new
    - but those will widen the rear wheel track (which would match my intention to widen the front with a modded G body K frame)

(thinking aloud) the big vented brakes , front and back , WITH abs might be a worthy experiment

but also to consider , rear drums that come without the hub's preinstalled with the "swiged" studs can cause issues too - like not being able to remove a wheel as the stud spins
    my own case , I knocked one of the studs right out of the hub when first trying to mount a wheel on that arrangement - so the 15 dollar drums went back to the auto parts counter and I went to the dealer for a pair of drums with the hubs at 80 bucks each - in 1990