Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MPSciLink starting a Group3 Pre-Order

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: MPSciLink starting a Group3 Pre-Order

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    did you ever find/get a sample of a display case for the 5" display yet?
    Yes, but i don't like it.
    It is similar to the one i posted for the 7"
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Yes, but i don't like it.
    It is similar to the one i posted for the 7"
    why dont you like it?

i just want something that will protect it.

most of the time, i dont have the display hooked up at all. i just use the box as an interface between the car and my phone or tablet....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I'll have to dig it out and post some pics.
    But he used some standoffs instead of making it how I specified. So it is quite a bit thicker than I wanted.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

boostaholic

most of the time, i dont have the display hooked up at all. i just use the box as an interface between the car and my phone or tablet....
    That's what I started doing. After sitting for a month in pieces in the garage, my display stopped connecting to the mpscilink. Instead of troubleshooting it I just started using my phone. I almost like it better in that I can actually make the gauges look like something. I should go mess around with the display and see if I can't get it to cooperate though...

Is there any kind of plan or way that one could customize the look of the mpscilink displays?

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    That's what I started doing. After sitting for a month in pieces in the garage, my display stopped connecting to the mpscilink. Instead of troubleshooting it I just started using my phone. I almost like it better in that I can actually make the gauges look like something. I should go mess around with the display and see if I can't get it to cooperate though...

Is there any kind of plan or way that one could customize the look of the mpscilink displays?
    Morris would have to explain why this isn't very easy. But it has to do with the way the display code is built, and some things the mpscilink arduino code communicates with the display.
    Although it may be possible, its not exactly easy, and you would probably get rendered with a conflict when updating any changes Morris makes in the future.

As far as using the device without a display, it seems to work. I've only tested a little bit though. The display has the real-time clock, but when you log through your phone or tablet, it uses that device's time/date.
    Wayne H.

boostaholic

I thought as much.

Running without a display works fine for me. Its not as cool looking, but less screens does help keep the all important 80s vibe intact.

One of these days I'd like to put an Android car stereo in there and just run that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

the mpscilink is limited in alot of ways, including ram memory. that is why i went to the display we are using since most of the display code is held in the display's eeprom. so all the arduino has to do is send it some simple commands via the 4 wire serial link (it also cleaned up the wiring alot vs other display methods). to maintain a reasonable about of speed i preloaded a whole bunch of display fields that are hidden until used. since the display fields are numbered in a specific way it limits the configuration of the display. the layout for the displays can be manipulated if desired. the software to do it is free. you could look at it just for the heck of it. however, changing things will probably screw things up with the arduino code unless you are extremely careful. plus if i make any updates it could break your layout. plus i tried to keep things as simple as possible so no fancy gauges (which are possible though in the software). it's more useful as a connector from an android device to the sci port.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Update on the paid orders to date:

1. EaZyE426. Paid
    2. krut. Paid
    3. Zoskalon (Jakub)
    4. Zoskalon (Jakub)
    5. jackerman
    6. Torqueflite. Paid
    7. 86Shelby. Paid
    8. CoolHandLuke88. Paid
    9. Player1up. Paid
    10. glhs399. Paid
    11. chromguy. Paid
    12. nlll7 (Nasser, Oman/Muscat)
    13. Guyondacouch. Paid
    14. 88C/S
    15. Firehawk618. Paid (for 1)
    16. Firehawk618 *Cancel 2nd*
    17. JohanT
    18. moparman76_69
    19. Moparman76_69
    20. Holset8vOmni. Paid
    21. Cordes. Paid
    22. Cordes. Paid. (3 boards total)
    23. PlyDodOldGzr. Paid(2 boards)
    24. Mod2xx8. Paid
    25. Sloride. Paid
    26. raccoon. Paid
    27. turboshelbys. Paid
    28. iangoround. Paid
    29. jrod1231 Paid
    30. wheming. Paid
    31. 22shelby
    32. jpcturbo
    33. PunKid. Paid
    34 crawfordmopar. Paid
    35. DanH. Paid
    36. csxtra (meow) Paid
    37. daytona22t. (Cancelled )
    38. wowzer. Paid
    39. DevoBuzz. Paid
    40. Omzilla. Paid
    41. ***LD. Paid
    42. GTC. Paid
    Last edited by wheming; 08-15-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    Wayne H.

Mitsu booster

did you ever find/get a sample of a display case for the 5" display yet?
    I plan on 3D printing a bezel and stand system out of ABS for mine, when it comes. I was able to get the dimensions of the displays from the manufacturer so I have a rough idea of how it will turn out, but nothing like having the item physically in your hand. I am going for a minimalist design, basically to protect the screen and cover the PCB If the prototype bezels come out alright, I will make them available.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyondacouch View Post
    I plan on 3D printing a bezel and stand system out of ABS for mine, when it comes. I was able to get the dimensions of the displays from the manufacturer so I have a rough idea of how it will turn out, but nothing like having the item physically in your hand. I am going for a minimalist design, basically to protect the screen and cover the PCB If the prototype bezels come out alright, I will make them available.
    If you'd like, I could send you your display so you can work with it early.
    Wayne H.

I have to post an update, and retract a statement I made in a previous update. I had been contacted recently asking for an update an expected delivery. He is what I sent out to them.

I need to update the group on the current status.
    But, so you know it has taken quite a while to get most folks to submit their order and payments. Some folks from the "pre-order list" still have yet to pay.
    I have received all the touchscreen displays for those who have paid, (21 displays total) and I am prepping them with the firmware.
    I have most of the wire orders prepped also for those that had so in their order. I do have a bit of catching up from running out of supplies.
    I spoke to Miles yesterday, and although I assumed the boards were on order, they have not been ordered yet. He needed to make one final clearance check with the board layout before ordering, but had got tied up with work in the meantime. This is an unexpected setback.
    He informed me it should take about 1-2 weeks to get the boards once ordered.

I have been dealing with some delays of my own with my wife's health issues that have been occupying a good bit of my free time, but that hasn't really been the delay. The critical path item is getting the new design boards, so we can start assembling them to start getting orders out.
    Even once boards are built, they need to be assembled by Miles and his son. The DIY kits are easier, since it is just compiling the kits.

Once the assembled boards are delivered to me, i need to setup and function test each order, and each persons items. Even the DIY kits get tested for what order components they placed.

Also, since the board design has slightly changed, I need an assembled board in hand to verify clearances with the enclosure before i can order all of those!

In hindsight, it was a bit of a bad idea to startup another group buy/build during these busy summer months. And although we had a better plan to try and work more efficiently, that doesn't help when prerequisite components are not in process early.

Right now Miles has parts and components for the first 15 boards/kits. He is going to order all the remaining parts needed for the other half of the boards/kits and should have them around the time of getting the boards delivered to him.

I know as a customer this is a bit disappointing. This batch v2.7 was still in redesign phase when the group was started. Although we aren't a business, we take customer satisfaction seriously. That is why we are trying to safeguard making mistakes in the board layout/design.
    If however, continuing to be patient while these devices are built does not meet your orginal expectations, and you would prefer a refund I will do that. But, I can assure you, every one of these orders will be delivered. It is just taking longer than originally forecasted.

I hate to try to put an expected delivery date, with all the factors at play. But at this point, I'm guessing it might be about a month or so before I get some assembled boards delivered to me. Then I will be the hold-up with testing, ordering the enclosures, and compiling / boxing up orders.
    I guess I should have said up front in the group that this would take about 6 months!

Let me know your thoughts. And I do apologize.

Regards,
    Wayne
    Wayne H.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyondacouch View Post
    that would be awesome.

there is one manufacturer on ebay that offers one but they are in italy or something like that and its crazy $$$$ for what you are getting.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Let me know your thoughts. And I do apologize.

Regards,
    Wayne [/B]
    you sumbitch!!!!!!

just kidding..

no one in this realm of automobile niche-dom should complain of folks making very one off electronics available to them.

if anyone complains, ill gladly berate them lol.

brian

you sumbitch!!!!!!

just kidding..

no one in this realm of automobile niche-dom should complain of folks making very one off electronics available to them.

if anyone complains, ill gladly berate them lol.

brian
    I'm glad to have friends like you to fight my battles, because I'm skinny, and I bruise easily! Lol!

I just always look at this from the perspective of the customer. There are a lot of folks anxious to get theirs.

Maybe you should post some more updates on how you are getting along with your mpscilink...
    Wayne H.

boostaholic

Maybe you should post some more updates on how you are getting along with your mpscilink...
    Dude. It's so sweet. Even without the display. Once you get it set up and working, it just works. Hide it away under the dash somewhere, mount your phone running mpscandroid in a holder someplace and go racing.

The actuator tests even work, and that is SUPER awesome. The only thing I'm not super stoked about is the way the charge temp is being reported, but I think that's being worked on.

I haven't messed around with the flash functionality any more yet, but I'm guessing with a good flash module it's going to be as awesome as everything else.

It's ALMOST like having an OBD2 car.

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    Dude. It's so sweet. Even without the display. Once you get it set up and working, it just works. Hide it away under the dash somewhere, mount your phone running mpscandroid in a holder someplace and go racing.
    same here. i dont even have the display hooked up. i just whip out my phone and check values and stuff.

every once in a while i need to power cycle the box when the bluetooth wont connect after the car is started but thats not a big deal at all.

i gotta replace my egt probe though. i think i buggered up the wiring. when i hook up an external probe to the reveltronics thermocouple amplifier and hit it with a lighter, it works mint when logging through one of the 0-5v external inputs.

Brian

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

and i want to add this.

please provide feedback for improvements/bugs. i know the bluetooth connectivity is not always consistent, especially when you exit the program and then try restart. also, quite a bit of stuff has not been tested very well, especially the flashing/reading. and documentation on some of the procedural stuff to do those tasks is non existent at this point.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    and i want to add this.

please provide feedback for improvements/bugs. i know the bluetooth connectivity is not always consistent, especially when you exit the program and then try restart. also, quite a bit of stuff has not been tested very well, especially the flashing/reading. and documentation on some of the procedural stuff to do those tasks is non existent at this point.
    Definitely what needs more testing are the ECU flavors I don't have!
    I would say the SMEC T1 testing has been extensive. I now have a flashable SBEC, but have had no time to install or mess with.

I do know we still have to resolve the inability to safely flash SBEC with the existing mpscilink versions. We need some circuit protection added to the end of the cable, similar to the protection integrated into the BoostButton FTDI cable diagnostic connector board, to protect against the 12v back feeding the mpscilink com port wire and frying something.
    (This only affects the users with Flashable SBEC, so it is a very small number of customers, but we do need to test a solution. Which is one reason for me getting an ECU to try to resolve.)
    Wayne H.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    and i want to add this.

most of the bug reports and improvement requests ive posted in the mpscandroid thread.

i did write up a little mpscandroid procedure in that thread too. at least when i was using a LM that is. but its similar for the SMEC T1 as well.

it would be a good idea to add a reset button to the box.

if you shut down mpscandroid and restart it, you sometimes need to power cycle the box for the phone/tablet to reconnect while the car is running.

if you restart the car with the phone connected, you sometimes need to power cycle the box and restart the app to get it connected again but not every time.

hence the need for a reset button.

ill probably just wire in a toggle switch through the mpscilink power and put it somewhere convenient to restart the system when it gets wonky as i plan on hiding alot of this stuff that i have kicking around in the interior. ... wideband, component set crossovers, mpscilink box, egt amplifier, etc. i need to mount it all to a board and make it hide under the seats.

reliants dont have a ton of hidey-holes under the dash. the HVAC stuff dangles down too low.

Brian

most of the bug reports and improvement requests ive posted in the mpscandroid thread.

i did write up a little mpscandroid procedure in that thread too. at least when i was using a LM that is. but its similar for the SMEC T1 as well.

it would be a good idea to add a reset button to the box.

if you shut down mpscandroid and restart it, you sometimes need to power cycle the box for the phone/tablet to reconnect while the car is running.

if you restart the car with the phone connected, you sometimes need to power cycle the box and restart the app to get it connected again but not every time.

hence the need for a reset button.

ill probably just wire in a toggle switch through the mpscilink power and put it somewhere convenient to restart the system when it gets wonky as i plan on hiding alot of this stuff that i have kicking around in the interior. ... wideband, component set crossovers, mpscilink box, egt amplifier, etc. i need to mount it all to a board and make it hide under the seats.

reliants dont have a ton of hidey-holes under the dash. the HVAC stuff dangles down too low.

Brian
    I think you have a v2.0 board.
    The following version, v2.5 had an on board reset button.
    Maybe it is possible to wire one in, and mount on the enclosure. Not exactly sure where best to break the circuit though.

There is a Force Close feature on mpscandroid from the main menu. I find that also useful since sometimes you need to reset everything to re-establish a connection for logging.

Another tip, always make sure you stop logging and save your mpscandroid log before you power off the mpscilink.
    When logging directly with mpscilink through the hmi, you simply have to stop the log, and it saves to the sd card.
    Wayne H.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast