Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rich idle.

turbo addict

Rich idle.

Hello friends. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why my idle is so rich. Vehicle is 87 SL with +40's, tu fuel rail, AFPR, 3 bar, fmic, tu cast manifold, 50 trim. Everything else is stock, head cam etc. Fuel pressure is set to about 55 with the vac line unhooked. I have been messing with the tune but I'm kinda thinking it's not a tune issue. Any other ideas why it could be so rich? Right now I have a boost button stage 3 cal that has been scaled to +40's that I lowered the fuelbasedonmap table even further at 15-20inhg but it idles around 10:1-11:1. I'll get some pictures of what the fuel tables look like.

turbo addict

Re: Rich idle.

coolant temp sensor ?

Mitsu booster

Does the car run ok otherwise? No codes? Is the MAP a quality 3 bar, maybe use MPscan to verify output voltage matches vacuum and boost?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I had a vacuum leak near the Map that caused my to be rich at idle
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

IIRC the last time I had mpscan hooked up, my map sensor showed -6 to -7psi. Typically the car idles anywhere from 15-19inhg. Have to get my mpscan laptop from work and hook it up.

Mitsu booster

Id imagine the cal is scaled for a 3 bar map? Check map output with a multimeter?

Edit: the cal comes as a 3 bar by default, oops
    Last edited by CatchaCuda; 12-23-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

take fuel out at idle rpm with the pumping efficiency table. dont take it out of FuelBaselineFromMap or FuelNoThrottle or FuelPartThrottle till PumpingEfficiency is dialed in.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    take fuel out at idle rpm with the pumping efficiency table. dont take it out of FuelBaselineFromMap or FuelNoThrottle or FuelPartThrottle till PumpingEfficiency is dialed in.

Brian
    I tried that yesterday. At 1k rpm it seems like most cals have the PE at 90%. I turned it down to 85% and it made little to no difference. Said screw it and ii turned it down to 50% at 1krpm and it will actually idle around 14.7 and seems ok. The issue with that is when you go to take off it will go super lean until it gets above 1krpm. Gonna keep playing with it but swapping chips is getting old fast lol.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I tried that yesterday. At 1k rpm it seems like most cals have the PE at 90%. I turned it down to 85% and it made little to no difference. Said screw it and ii turned it down to 50% at 1krpm and it will actually idle around 14.7 and seems ok. The issue with that is when you go to take off it will go super lean until it gets above 1krpm. Gonna keep playing with it but swapping chips is getting old fast lol.
    is your fuel pressure regulator working correctly?

you shouldnt have to lower it that much.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

At idle with the vac line unplugged it was at 55psi. I'll check it again with the vac line hooked up but I remember checking it a long time ago and it worked fine. Wanna say it had like 40-45psi at idle or something along those lines.

turbo addict

Doesn't sound like the calibration was scaled for 55 lbs injectors.

Post your calibration.

Gonna keep playing with it but swapping chips is getting old fast lol.
    I know the feeling, then I bought http://support.moates.net/ostrich-20-overview/

turbo addict

I was going back and forth on the ostrich. It's currently scaled for 55's. I played with the pumping efficiency and burned a new one so will see what it does. It seems decent everywhere else for the most part. If I'm cruising it will mostly stay around 14.7 unless I'm at very light throttle then it will be a little richer 13.5-14. WOT was a little rich but not too bad at 11-11.2.

turbo addict

I was going back and forth on the ostrich.
    Why? Cost? After tuning your car, sell it for $150. It'll be the best $25+ shipping you'll ever spend on tuning.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I was going back and forth on the ostrich. It's currently scaled for 55's. I played with the pumping efficiency and burned a new one so will see what it does. It seems decent everywhere else for the most part. If I'm cruising it will mostly stay around 14.7 unless I'm at very light throttle then it will be a little richer 13.5-14. WOT was a little rich but not too bad at 11-11.2.
    I scaled mine for 58's, worked good.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Finally getting around to hooking mpscan back up. What parameters do y'all think I should log to figure this out? Map for sure.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Finally getting around to hooking mpscan back up. What parameters do y'all think I should log to figure this out? Map for sure.
    I'm certainly not the tuning expert, but I would log: MAP, TPS, COOL, INJPW, RPM, O2, AISPOS, BATV. That should give you all the inputs and outputs that affect idle mixture.

Your combo is similar to mine. I can tell you when my idle is about 14.7 on the WB, my injector pulse width is about 1.6ms. Hopefully that helps you out.

turbo addict

Ugh. My ftdi chip refuses to work with my windows 10 laptop and I can't find the charger to my windows xp laptop. Ordered an ftdi cable from mouser so hopefully that works.

Ugh. My ftdi chip refuses to work with my windows 10 laptop and I can't find the charger to my windows xp laptop. Ordered an ftdi cable from mouser so hopefully that works.
    i remember there was a specific issue that had to be dealt with to properly install the driver. lemme do some digging.

Brian

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Docu...ndows%2010.pdf

there was some "run as administrator" stuff you have to do. did you do that?

Brian

turbo addict

I think I tried that already. It was a cheapie $4 chip from eBay. The new one I ordered is made by ftdi themselves so hopefully it works fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast