Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all electronic geeks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Calling all electronic geeks

Hello all,
    I would like to create a group of TM enthusiasts with experience/interest in electronics/programming/ME/EE for possible collaborations on common projects.
    Since we are such a niche market, this is essentially a volunteer effort. I feel it is fun and a way to give back to the community.
    Many of us are busy with life so you can decide your level of involvement; from a consultant all the way up to design/build. It is your decision.

At this point, I would like to gather interested parties together and we can brainstorm from there.

As one members PM to me earlier today stated...
    "Are you referring to those of us who fall into the "advanced" category for circuit design/development/programming? If so, I would LOVE to be involved."

Anyone who is interested can join.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Re: Calling all electronic geeks

I can't offer programming, but I can offer hardware support & rework along with circuit debugging. Not sure what that's worth since programming is really what this community needs (hell it's what my own car is lacking).

I also have a machining background so I could aid with enclosure design and EMC considerations. Again, don't know what that's worth.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I can't offer programming, but I can offer hardware support & rework along with circuit debugging. Not sure what that's worth since programming is really what this community needs (hell it's what my own car is lacking).
    Thanks Jon,
    What specific area do you feel we need additional programming?
    Regards,
    Miles

It seems like we all rely on just a couple of people for ECU programming. That's one thing that I really wish I could be more self-sufficient with.
    Jon J.

It seems like we all rely on just a couple of people for ECU programming. That's one thing that I really wish I could be more self-sufficient with.
    You are referring to creating a cal with MPTuner, I assume? If so, I agree.
    I personally feel that is more of a training issue. Perhaps the team could run a live webcast to train those interested. For example, several member such as Shelgame,Tryingbe, to name a few, have written several howto and videos that I found very helpful to get me comfortable creating a tune or two. I would be interested in this as well.

Great idea, BTW
    Regards,
    Miles

Mitsu booster

I'm in for coding/hardware development/sharing knowledge of the internal workings and protocols on the SBEC.

Quote Originally Posted by A_ Kelley View Post
    I'm in for coding/hardware development/sharing knowledge of the internal workings and protocols on the SBEC.
    Excellent News!
    Regards,
    Miles

as i told miles i highly encourage this idea. i got involved back in the early 2000's when i needed some better logging done for my van then what i thought was available via chem/dcal. so i wrote mptune/mpscan just for me. and geoff and derek had moved on to other things somewhat. as well, rob lloyd took the relocatable code source idea to a whole new level which needed software to support it. we're kinda back in the same spot again, rob has moved on and i'm looking to step out of it a bit. mptune/mpscan really needs a rebuild. even mpscilink came about just as a hobby of something i wanted personally. the great untapped potential in this community needs to be harnessed and hopefully this will be the start.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

What's the issue?

Garrett booster

I'm down. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the ecus specifically,but I have decent knowledge is C ++ AND C#. I have built a stand alone gauge system for my shadow using Arduino to monitor everything and read it back using seven seg LEDs. I'm pretty decent at electronics as well. Have a ton of ideas that the community needs to use on their cars just lack the knowledge to make them work. But I know a few of you could complete some of the gaps I have. I have a teamspeak server we could use to discuss things if we ever needed to. Forgot to mention my car is not working but I can work around that. Also I have some experience ethcing boards so I can do some decent prototyping
    Last edited by Moparbishi; 12-05-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparbishi View Post
    I'm down. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the ecus specifically,but I have decent knowledge is C ++ AND C#. I have built a stand alone gauge system for my shadow using Arduino to monitor everything and read it back using seven seg LEDs. I'm pretty decent at electronics as well. Have a ton of ideas that the community needs to use on their cars just lack the knowledge to make them work. But I know a few of you could complete some of the gaps I have. I have a teamspeak server we could use to discuss things if we ever needed to. Forgot to mention my car is not working but I can work around that. Also I have some experience ethcing boards so I can do some decent prototyping
    Awesome
    Regards,
    Miles

Mitsu booster

- - - Updated - - -

I'd possibly be interested in taking up mp suite but will it compile on .net 2003? I don't think I've got access to anything newer or a computer capable of running it. (I'm familiar enough with .net to do most anything, especially if it only needs improvements or features added on an existing project)

Why not open source it on a development site like source forge? That would allow multiple people to work on it, while maintaining a download site for releases.
    Last edited by A_ Kelley; 12-05-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Post doubled up

turbo addict

I don't know much about coding and building hardware, but I can solder. I can also help with making tutorials or guides. If any of that is needed I'm in.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Subscribing to see what your cooking.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Thanks to A_Kelley and MoparMan76_69 as we need software and soldering/documentation members

Wayne, I think you want to be a tester and make the product look good!
    Regards,
    Miles

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    You are referring to creating a cal with MPTuner, I assume? If so, I agree.
    I personally feel that is more of a training issue. Perhaps the team could run a live webcast to train those interested. For example, several member such as Shelgame,Tryingbe, to name a few, have written several howto and videos that I found very helpful to get me comfortable creating a tune or two. I would be interested in this as well.
    I'll have to search for the videos and how-tos. My cal template isn't even the most recent version! I've got to get my arse in gear. Maybe I'm mistakingly identifying a personal issue as a community issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    What's the issue?
    I dunno. You wouldn't mind me bothering you for silly cal questions all the time? Personally I'd feel bad asking. Again, it could just be me and not necessarily a community-wide thing. Rob was a great resource, but I even felt bad pestering him as much as I did. I figured it would help things if we could spread out inquiries from people like me who "know enough but don't know enough".

As for the original reason for this thread, I'm in for:

- Enclosure design (3D printing as well if a model is available)
    - EMC/shielding issues
    - Prototype board builds
    - Rework (ECU socketing, repair, etc)
    - Schematic review & debug

I can't help with:

- Real world ECU test miles (unless it happens to be for a manual SMEC car)
    - Programming
    Jon J.

turbo addict

I dunno. You wouldn't mind me bothering you for silly cal questions all the time? Personally I'd feel bad asking. Again, it could just be me and not necessarily a community-wide thing. Rob was a great resource, but I even felt bad pestering him as much as I did. I figured it would help things if we could spread out inquiries from people like me who "know enough but don't know enough"
    Open your own thread, we can go from there. I've been thinking about writing a MPTuner how-to basics anyways.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I can help with video how to stuff. I have put together an Arduino project which read a temp sensor and output that to an LCD screen. Pretty primitive compared to what most of you are doing, but I was happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I can help with video how to stuff. I have put together an Arduino project which read a temp sensor and output that to an LCD screen. Pretty primitive compared to what most of you are doing, but I was happy with it.
    Perfect! Thank you
    Regards,
    Miles

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

im horrible at programming but i have some decent ideas from time to time. im pretty good with circuits and hooking things together and getting them to work too.

programming stops my projects much of the time.

anyone wanna tackle finishing the knock box that risen and i started but never finished? I ran the idea past wowzer and he sounded interested but we are all a little short on time.

lemme know and ill post up the info.

ill help in ways that i can.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast