Thread: Too much oil pressure?

Too much oil pressure?

I have a strange issue that just popped up on my 2005 PT Cruiser GT. I've had the oil pressure sending unit replaced four times in the past six months because it starts leaking. I've read several places that these fail, especially when you use NAPA parts (my mechanic won't use anyone else, unfortunately). After replacing it last week it started leaking the day after and my oil light came on. It's only on at idle, if I get above 1k RPM it goes away, but comes back when the clutch is depressed.

I took it back to my mechanic (who's getting frustrated with me and my car at this point) and he put a mechanical gauge on it. At idle it has about 90PSI of oil pressure, at 3,000 RPM it buried his gauge at 120PSI. The only thing he can think of that's failing is the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump. This costs an arm and a leg to replace because you have to remove so many things.

Have you guys ever heard of this failing? I am under the understanding that these relief valves are a spring and a ball, if they fail they just stop working and you get low oil pressure, not high?

Any input would be appreciated. I have the money to fix it, but if I fix it I'm going to just keep the car (Which isn't a bad thing, unless you're my wife) but I'd rather not spend $1,000 if I don't need to.
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

Mitsu booster

Re: Too much oil pressure?

Though I haven't seen it on the 2.0/2.4, I've had the pressure relief valve fail on a 2.2 turbo, there was enough pressure to loosen and blow oil out of the oil filter to block seal- this happened multiple times until the pump was replaced!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I have heard of high oil pressure issues with the 2.4's, but not to that extent. What oil are you using in it?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I have heard of high oil pressure issues with the 2.4's, but not to that extent. What oil are you using in it?
    Full synthetic Valvoline, 5w30. Changed regularly every 3-5 months depending on mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzo_inc View Post
    Full synthetic Valvoline, 5w30. Changed regularly every 3-5 months depending on mileage.
    Hmm. Just checking.... some people feel they "know better" and dump 20w50 in anything with a turbo because it worked on their wife's cousin's diesel.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Hmm. Just checking.... some people feel they "know better" and dump 20w50 in anything with a turbo because it worked on their wife's cousin's diesel.
    Haha, I know. I've seen people do that. I'm super paranoid about maintenance stuff so I log everything that's done to my cars in a spreadsheet and make sure to change the oil even when it doesn't necessarily need it. The last three times I've changed the oil it was super clean and probably could of gone another 5,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by CatchaCuda View Post
    Though I haven't seen it on the 2.0/2.4, I've had the pressure relief valve fail on a 2.2 turbo, there was enough pressure to loosen and blow oil out of the oil filter to block seal- this happened multiple times until the pump was replaced!
    In my youth I made the mistake of putting the Mopar Performance oil pressure relief spring in incorrectly with similar results.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

That suggests the pressure relief valve is sticking closed... Maybe an oil system cleaning is order?

The thought of the valve sticking closed has me wondering if there are deposits elsewhere in the system... ie. pressure near the pump is high, but maybe not closer to the bearings is not...

Additionally, if the oil suddenly started NOT getting dirty and nothing else changed, I would be worried the oil is NOT doing it's job. There may be significant deposits left in the engine...

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    That suggests the pressure relief valve is sticking closed... Maybe an oil system cleaning is order?

The thought of the valve sticking closed has me wondering if there are deposits elsewhere in the system... ie. pressure near the pump is high, but maybe not closer to the bearings is not...

Additionally, if the oil suddenly started NOT getting dirty and nothing else changed, I would be worried the oil is NOT doing it's job. There may be significant deposits left in the engine...

The oil has never been very dirty. The last three oil changes were done after I switched jobs and went from driving 50 miles a day to driving less than 10 a week. I should have included that information.

How do you do an oil system cleaning? Just run some cleaner through the oil? I'm willing to try some things to avoid spending a thousand dollars.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

If a mechanical gauge shows high pressure, I'd believe it. As a rule, we only need about 10PSI per 1k RPM, so that does seem pretty high. I also agree that the pressure relief/bypass is likely to blame, assuming nothing more dramatic such as a blockage downstream of the pump.

I'd install a mechanical gauge in a way I can see it as the car drives/runs, and use one that goes to 300PSI so you can see just how high the pressure is really going. I'd be curious if the problem couldn't have been caused by the initial repair of the sender, but introducing some debris that then caused the relief to get stuck...

At any rate, it might be worth trying to "back flush" the system. By putting pressure to the outlet of the oil filter's inlet, you should be able to reverse pressurize the relief valve and un-stick it/dislodge the bit of debris holding it closed, said debris hopefully being caught in the filter. I imagine it could take a few tries, but removing the filter, pressurizing the outlet, replacing the filter, starting the car and potentially repeating a few times would have to be much less labor intensive and therefore less $$ than dissembling a big part of the engine to replace the pump...

Best of luck!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

A coworker heard of my issues and offered to assist me with taking off all the pieces required to get to the oil pump.

Does anyone know if the stock oil pump has an external check for the pressure release valve? I'm guessing a piece of a gasket is either blocking the valve or is stuck in the spring.

This is the one I have had heard recommended (I have not tried it.) https://www.justicebrothers.com/prod...lSystemCleaner

Put it in, run the engine for 15-20 minutes, change the oil...

A coworker heard of my issues and offered to assist me with taking off all the pieces required to get to the oil pump.

Does anyone know if the stock oil pump has an external check for the pressure release valve? I'm guessing a piece of a gasket is either blocking the valve or is stuck in the spring.
    I am sure you and your friend know this, but just in case, while you are there, if you haven't recently, replace the timing belt and water pump. You'll need a puller for the damper. Sometimes a little bit of heat applied with a heat gun will make it come off easier. Not a lot of heat as there is a rubber ring in it. The same will be true of installation.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Update!

This weekend we got the car up on jack stands and decided to test the oil pressure ourselves to both verify the problem and set a baseline. I bought an Oil Pressure Test Kit from Harbor Freight because no local parts store had one to borrow. When we started the PT at idle it was showing right at 70psi and when we revved it to 3k we had 90psi. I talked to forcedfedmopar and he suggested letting the car warm up for 20 minutes and checking the pressure then. Ten minutes later I checked the gauge and it showed 24psi, well within normal range. We revved it to 5k and it never topped 70psi. Since the pressure went down the pressure release valve isn't stuck and I'm not going to worry about it. I'll put a Mopar brand Oil Sender Unit in and roll down the road. Eventually (sooner than later) I'm goign to put a 3 pod a pillar in the PT so I can load an oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on it.

Does anyone have the part number for the Mopar oil sender unit handy? Or a 3 pod pillar for a PT?

That's good news!

Mopar PN 5149098AA
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Update!

This weekend we got the car up on jack stands and decided to test the oil pressure ourselves to both verify the problem and set a baseline. I bought an Oil Pressure Test Kit from Harbor Freight because no local parts store had one to borrow. When we started the PT at idle it was showing right at 70psi and when we revved it to 3k we had 90psi. I talked to forcedfedmopar and he suggested letting the car warm up for 20 minutes and checking the pressure then. Ten minutes later I checked the gauge and it showed 24psi, well within normal range. We revved it to 5k and it never topped 70psi. Since the pressure went down the pressure release valve isn't stuck and I'm not going to worry about it. I'll put a Mopar brand Oil Sender Unit in and roll down the road. Eventually (sooner than later) I'm goign to put a 3 pod a pillar in the PT so I can load an oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on it.
    People ask me why I bothered to put mechanical oil pressure gauges in every car I've owned for the past 20 years.
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 12-04-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

OCD .. oil consumed driving