Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Proper) Eibach Springs for ’91 R/T…

Mitsu booster

(Proper) Eibach Springs for ’91 R/T…

Is the Eibach part “Pro-Kit Lowering Springs 2804.140” the proper fit for a 91 Spirit R/T? And if it is, is $270 typical retail price? Thanks. Over all plan is Eibach Springs (4) KYB KG5563 Gas-a-Just Gas ShocksKYB GR-2 235902 Gas Suspension Strut Assembly. Just need it to be a "firm" daily driver for the time I am home. John.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: (Proper) Eibach Springs for ’91 R/T…

As far as price, It was when they were available new You can check with FWD Performance, they had a run of them made recently and may have some left. Also sometime there are used ones available.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

yes the 2804's are for the dual pivot kmember cars 89+. The 2801's were for the stub strut kmember cars. The 2804's that FWDP had made a couple years ago supposedly sit lower than the original 2804's. I haven't seen a set installed to see if they sit too low in the front making the LCA point up instead of parallel to the ground for handling purposes so be aware of that. They may be just right though as people have had to cut a coil or so off the progressive side of the spring of the original 2804's to get the car to sit right.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

The Spirit is a heavier car and I believe those spring were rated for a G-body.

I have driven several G-body's with those spring and they drove nice. Not so much on my wife's Spirit ES. Hated them! Suspension never worked right with those spring, as the front end would dive independent of the rear and over moguly roads you'd get this bounce and titer toter effect from front to rear.

After trying several strut/shock combos to attempt to make the springs work I finally gave up and installed a set of stock 2.5 G-body springs that were removed from a 90 Daytona Turbo 568 car very early in it's life. (like new, didn't even have to paint them) My theory was the dual rate of the Eibach, having been made for the lighter Daytona, didn't work on the heavier Spirit so 1/2 of the spring was always crushed.

Difference was night and day! Front and rear suspension complement each other again and Spirit drives 100% better!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

My 87 ShelbyZ was 3120 with me in it, 1/2 tank of gas and no spare tire. What's a spirit weight?

Mitsu booster

Thanks all.
    Found FWDPerformace and the Eibach “Pro-Kit Lowering Springs 2804.140” - on its way to Chattanooga where it willmeet up with the new KYBs F&R. Having never driven (or for that matter seen) the car – will not know how the new suspensioncompares to the current. Mechanic saysit is way too soft as it is now. It’sa 91 and with only 39K miles would think the suspension might be original – perhapshe can determine when he does the replacement.

Next on to the brakes…..

Dodge reports the weight of a 91 Spirit R/T at 3,082 lbs. (noidea if that is laden or not)

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    My 87 ShelbyZ was 3120 with me in it, 1/2 tank of gas and no spare tire. What's a spirit weight?
    Never weighed mine, but some say 35-3800lbs which I think is bloated. I'm thinking 2-300 more than Daytona.

All I know is the Eibachs didn't work well, maybe the wheelbase has something to do with it?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Wow! That's so close to mine it isn't even funny! My '88 Shelby Z was 3115# in the same configuration (or very close).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Never weighed mine, but some say 35-3800lbs which I think is bloated. I'm thinking 2-300 more than Daytona.

All I know is the Eibachs didn't work well, maybe the wheelbase has something to do with it?
    I think you'd be surprised how "light" some of the cars actually are! I know I always anticipated the vans to be pigs, but they really aren't. AA bodies aren't much more than 32-3300#.

The 2801 is the lighter spring, the 2804 is the stiffer set.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersM3 View Post
    Thanks all.
    Found FWDPerformace and the Eibach “Pro-Kit Lowering Springs 2804.140” - on its way to Chattanooga where it willmeet up with the new KYBs F&R. Having never driven (or for that matter seen) the car – will not know how the new suspensioncompares to the current. Mechanic saysit is way too soft as it is now. It’sa 91 and with only 39K miles would think the suspension might be original – perhapshe can determine when he does the replacement.

Next on to the brakes…..

Dodge reports the weight of a 91 Spirit R/T at 3,082 lbs. (noidea if that is laden or not)
    The brakes are easy.

Just install some Hawk pads and call it a day. Only use them in the front though. I would use the cheapest pads possible in the rear. Perhaps the Spirits have enough weight in the back of them to stop the rear from coming around under hard braking with good tires, but I doubt it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The brakes are easy.

Just install some Hawk pads and call it a day. Only use them in the front though. I would use the cheapest pads possible in the rear. Perhaps the Spirits have enough weight in the back of them to stop the rear from coming around under hard braking with good tires, but I doubt it.
    Hawk, Porterfield, and Carbotech all make many compounds for our brakes.

I agree with Brian...only use really good pads on the front. I've been in a Spirit R/T that locked it's rear brakes before the fronts...there were 3 of us in the car!

turbo addict

if anything I think any increased weight would make the issue worse

more weight means more energy (mass in motion)
    - more likely to find an alternate route around the slowing front end once it starts to slide out
    even more quickly and with even more force

now the in sence of tracking around a corner more weight may help keep the rear from skipping across the pavement due to to much flotation on the pavement with a tire that may be to wide for the contact patch size vs weight

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

When I bought my Spirit R/T a little over 2 years ago, it already had Eibachs and Koni's installed. I don't know which springs exactly, but they did lower the car substantially (I cannot get a standard floor jack under the front crossmember). I haven't driven it in autocross or road course as yet, but I suspect it handles really well.

I am not a lightweight person, so with me in it the car is probably close to (or over) 3500 pounds. It rides really rough, really rough. Did I mention it rides really rough??

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    When I bought my Spirit R/T a little over 2 years ago, it already had Eibachs and Koni's installed. I don't know which springs exactly, but they did lower the car substantially (I cannot get a standard floor jack under the front crossmember). I haven't driven it in autocross or road course as yet, but I suspect it handles really well.

I am not a lightweight person, so with me in it the car is probably close to (or over) 3500 pounds. It rides really rough, really rough. Did I mention it rides really rough??

Barry
    Barry, I'm sure with your years of experience, knowledge, and personal connections I'm preaching to the choir here, but have you tried adjusting the Koni's such that when you go over a speed bump at parking lot speed that the car only bounces once? That was at the suggestion of Lee Grimes (Koni USA), it's how I set my car and even my dad didn't mind riding in it! Tires can make a difference, too. What size/type?

Hybrid booster

I have Konis and Eibachs on my 91 R/T and it rides great. Firm but not teeth rattling. It did take a bit of tuning of the Konis to get the ride I wanted.

I think my Konis are worn out Rides great though lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Barry, I'm sure with your years of experience, knowledge, and personal connections I'm preaching to the choir here, but have you tried adjusting the Koni's such that when you go over a speed bump at parking lot speed that the car only bounces once? That was at the suggestion of Lee Grimes (Koni USA), it's how I set my car and even my dad didn't mind riding in it! Tires can make a difference, too. What size/type?
    My Koni's are set on the softest setting. I haven't tried playing with the setting, maybe I will. Thanks for the tip.

The tires are Kuhmo Ecsta's 225-55-16. I put new tires on it shortly after I got it. I like the Kuhmo's. They grip well and ride fairly nice.

Also, when I say it rides really rough, I need to qualify that by saying Michigan roads are some of the worst. They have started working on them, but smooth pavement is not easy to find. Our interstates and state highways are coming around, but city streets are still pretty bad.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

Interesting. I got to thinking about what Dr. Johnny Dodge said about the heavier car possibly making things worse. What I got to thinking about was natural resonance frequencies. It very well could be that the match of those spring rates on an AA body somehow "activate" a resonance within the structure that make things harsh. Just a theory.

Do you have any issues with rubbing 225/55's?

I remember the roads from SDAC18...yeah, Michigan roads do absolutely SUCK!

Well, people's definition of a rough ride varies greatly also. I say my Daytona rides good, but you can feel everything in the road. Some people think feeling every little bump is a rough ride, even if it's not harsh.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Having or not having a strut tower bar could make a difference. We put Koni's and Eibachs on a Laser way back and on the 185/75 14 snow tires it had on it the ride was horrible. Going to 225/50 15's made the ride better. And when we added a rear shock tower brace the ride got a whole hell of a lot better. You could actually feel the suspension compressing instead of the body moving and throwing the rear seat passengers against the roof. So the stiffer the body the stiffer the springs/shocks you can run. The laser weighed 2600ish lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast