Thread: 85 ASD relay problems

boostaholic

85 ASD relay problems

ok so i have a 1985 lebaron turbo convertible started to die on me after about 10 minutes of run time fuel pump stops running leave it sit and get cold will run again.... throwing code 42 thats it... didnt check the hep... didnt check any grounds yet

did this http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...ml#post1257645 and the fuel pump started up... so i played with it a little bit connecting and disconnecting the ground jumper.... seemed to work fine.... most of the time... so then i just ground the jumper and keep it on for a few minutes disconnect the jumper and the fuel pump kept running almost as if the relay welded the contacts together right? come back when its cold and it drives home fine...

Im positive the relay is toast... its already a re-manufactured pcm i opened the it up and you can see on the back of the board where theres different potting compound under the relay and what looks like a fuse but whats weird is the potting compound around the relay on the other side isnt disturbed like they never replaced the relay and just re-soldered the pins?

So i see my options as being 1. crack the relay open solder jumpers to the contacts and convert it to an external generic relay 2. just replacing the relay on the board but i dont know what to put back in there or 3. buying a new pcm but they are about $100 and i think everything made these days is garbage so ill probably be in the same boat shortly

whats your opinion? im leaning on option 1

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 85 ASD relay problems

I'm willing to bet that someone has a power module they don't need any longer.

boostaholic

what exactly does the asd relay do? can i just bypass the contacts so its always energized? would it matter if the fuel pump always ran when the key is on?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by thefitisgay View Post
    what exactly does the asd relay do? can i just bypass the contacts so its always energized? would it matter if the fuel pump always ran when the key is on?
    https://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/sen...-shutdown.html

boostaholic

well im just gunna convert it to external relay... at least i can visually confirm if the relay is bad when i crack it open i should be able to see it in the contacts

would it be worth it to anyone if i took pics so a how to could be made?

boostaholic

30 is on the bottom towards the heat sinks
    85 is on the left closest to the 10 pin plug socket
    86 is on the right closest to the 12 pin connector
    87 is on the top closest to the edge of the board

could somebody put that i guess in the knowledge center or something so that others can just solder jumpers on the back of the board to bypass the relay? it might be soldered on both sides of the board making it not so easy to get off i figure you can just cut the box open and gut it and it would be easier than removing it

i hope this fixes my wagon