Thread: ECU related question

Mitsu booster

Wink ECU related question

Hi everyone, just a little update on my 86 Town and Country turbo wagon before I get to the question. I bought another car for parts since I discovered how badly she is rusted underneath, using whatever I can. I cut the rockers off, mice had left some presents in there, using sound deadening material for their homes, which collected water. So before any body work, it must be completely dry. I may be excessive, but I let my Cherokee sit in the garage for 4 months before repairing the holes in the roof to get all the moisture out. She runs great though, and I can scavenge the map sensor off my parts car, basically perform that service bullet that gets the internal map out into the engine bay. This is so I can run the 87 MP LM I got. And have a spare 2.2, auto trans, and nice factory aluminum wheels (no more hubcaps), so I am happy. Even happier when I confirmed my wagon has only 21,000 miles on it lol! And I thought it rolled over....It just sat for long periods, that's the rust problem.

Here's the question, how vital is it to the ecu to get an intial read of atmospheric preasure, as when the baro read solenoid activates? If the baro read solenoid fails, will the car run acceptably? Will this trigger a MIL? Or put it this way, say I have a 1991 Daytona 2.5 turbo and a snip the wire at the ecu harness for the baro read soleniod, what will be the results? I understand that all things should be in working order so the engine can run optimally, but I want to know how important this is. I work on Jeeps all the time, and you guys might be surprised how much the pre96 models have in common with the the turbo cars here, well maybe not you may already know. So I know how vital the MAP is, however jeeps and Dakotas, etc, do not have the baro read deal so I'm trying to learn more. I understand what it does, but what happens if it fails? Thanks for reading
    Damien

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

turbo addict

Re: ECU related question

Wire it in, you don't want the check engine light.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

You need to keep the baro solenioid wired in, or it will give you a fault code, but you don't have to hook it into the line going to the MAP sensor. I recently bypassed mine to diagnose a MAP issue, and it runs fine...

Mitsu booster

Thanks alot for the information guys. I don't like to half or rig things, so I will get everything properly together. I was out in the garage just this evening looking at the map setup on the lebaron parts car and I am fine with my understanding now. I have two things I'm doing that could not be completed without knowing the answer here, so thanks again guys, I am getting closer to my goals.
    Side note, the digital lebaron cluster fits in my 93 Cherokee with very little modification to the plastic in the back of the dash, and I did a practice wire up using a spare jeep harness, a spare dash, and the pinouts for both vehicles. Many of the wires were the same color even in both to the respective gauge functions. my jeep is 2wd so I don't need many of the jeep 4wd related lights, and the basics are all there. It will take some time, but I believe I can get the message center to work for the most part as well. I'll put a pic up when the cluster is in, it's a turbo mopar sorta lol

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk