Thread: so , just how different are neon rear discs?

turbo addict

so , just how different are neon rear discs?

looking at possible options for the rear disc swap on my charger as I'm starting with new brakes
    (have 93 iroc r/t fronts)

I had two cars with either the vented and non vented 89 rear disc's but had to scrap both when I moved and was unable to save the brake parts

while it would be nice to have the parts handy now I can't say I was really impressed with the daytona rear discs
    - no real improvement in braking
    - tail happy panic stops (probably due to the small front brakes not balancing the rears)
    - and the genuine rattle fest that the notches worn in the caliper ways by the backing plates of the pads was horrible on one of my cars

the only thing really good about using them was not having to source new rear drums with the hubs already inside them

so , I remembered a thread here about a Wilwood front brake install so I looked up their neon rear disc parts , and by default the stock srt disc parts too

WELL aren't we different ...

the neon I haven't paid any attn to over the years so it's still new stuff to me

the rear knuckle/spindle arrangement was a bit of a surprise - though I noted the bolt pattern for the brake backing plate does look similar the the 80's TM's

I also noted that one edge of the knuckle looked as though it was about as thick as the TM rear spindle's base where it bolts to the axle

can anyone confirm the spindle might be able to be machined flat on the back if the rest of the knuckle was hacked off ?
    -a shim or spacer would be acceptable as long as the flange on the spindle were thick enough to be strong enough

and does anyone know how close the bolt pattern for the backing plate might or might not match up ?

I'm presuming outright that the charger spindle and hub probably doesn't interchange with the neon caliper bracket , rotor and caliper

sorry my local wrecker's burnt down in the spring so I can't do an easy neon parts sight seeing tour and last night while looking for neon rear spindle pictures I could only see one edge of the knuckle at the base of the spindle thus I still don't know what the spindle/knuckle really looks like at the front , back , top & bottom views nor the inboard looking to outboard view

anyone have some neon rear spindle pics ?? or even better a diagram with some measurements?

last thought , how do the machined surfaces of the spindles compare?
    could there be enough material on the TM spindle to machine it into a neon spindle?
    (yeah I know it would need hardened again)
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 11-07-2017 at 02:06 AM.

turbo addict

Re: so , just how different are neon rear discs?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/ar...p/t-70337.html

found this today ^ but all I think I see here is the daytona and neon backing plate can interchange , the neon nonvented rotor works (presumably with the nonvented rotor backing plate , and that the small difference between the drum hub and the disc hub can make a difference

I also found a better pic of the rear spindle/knuckle that makes me think I really could hack what I need from the neon rear knuckles and take it to the machine shop to have the backs machined nice and flat 90* to the spindle

if the backing plate bolt pattern is the same then I should be good to go

turbo addict

so , seeing this ^ still dosen't get me away from the worn backing plates that will cause the pads to rattle like hell I kept looking

found caravan rear disc's backing plates can still be had brand new
    2005 I think the listing said

so I started looking into the caravan discs and I kinda like what I see

solid rotor , internal drum like we're used to and an upgrade to the 114mm hubs

(I have the 93 iroc front knuckles so this is doable)

I noted the caravan hub and spindle result in a wider assembly than the standard car arrangement but that's also workable as I'd like to swap in an un-narrowed daytona duel pivot K frame so this way I'm probably able to maintain wheel track width easily , front to back (without having to make a spacer)

but now I have to ask if anyone has a caravan spindle or a diagram with measurements of the base of the spindle and it's bolt holes

I can easily see the spindle base and bolt pattern are much larger which is great - it should be stronger but the question now is , is there enough clearance on the ends of my charger's trailing axle to redrill it for the caravan spindles without ending up cutting into the sides of the box structure at the end of the axle

I saw an article about modern performance's track car neon .. spindle broke clean off
    - a stronger spindle seems a good idea even if stumbled upon with a simple brake swap

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Use the 91 and up g,k,h,j body knuckle and bolt in the caravan bearing/hub units. That gives you the matching 114mm bolt spacing to match the rear. You will have to machine the knuckle, but after that it’s a bolt in. You may be able to use the by units from rich with the g,k,h,j body knuckle width and the SRT length rods. I’m not sure if he has done that yet in the l body cars, but it would be ideal imo.