Thread: L-Body/Rampage Heater Core Replacement Instructions

Mitsu booster

L-Body/Rampage Heater Core Replacement Instructions

So as nearly as I can tell there's a small crack in one of the pipes on my Rampage's heater core. I've got a new one coming in, but figure I should get started on getting the old one out. Is there anything resembling an easy way to do this? Does someone have step-by-step instructions on doing it? I've got an OOOOOLD Haynes-type book on the car (from a company that may no longer exist?) but its instructions are far from useful. The car is technically an AC car (though nothing under the hood is still there) for reference. Thanks!

(and since I know it's likely to get brought up, simply bypassing it isn't a viable solution on anything but the very short term- I'll likely be driving the Rampage through the winter so will NEED head in it)

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: L-Body/Rampage Heater Core Replacement Instructions

The short version:

Drop the steering column.
    Pull the dash
    Pull the HVAC unit
    Disassemble HVAC box.
    Replace heater core.
    Reassemble in reverse order.

No, there isn't an easy way to do it...

If you think an L-body is bad, try changing one in a Daytona.... Been there, done both... They both suck...

Mitsu booster

Great. Wish I could confirm 100% that it is the heater core pipe that's the problem without having to pull the whole dash out. I guess the 'upside' to this (of there is any) is that I can take care of any other things I need to do (the rest of the mods to the cluster, rewiring the cigarette lighter/accessory plug that isn't powered now because of my simplifying the circuit that feeds it because something kept blowing the fuse that drives the brake lights (seriously... why were the brake lights on a circuit with tons of other crap?).

Is there a decent write-up on pulling the dash so I don't not notice a bolt or connection and brake something?

Should be a fairly complete list in the FSM.

But basically, you have to pop out the dash top cover. There are screws in each defrost vent you have to remove first, then pry up the side closest to you and pull it back towards you to release the clips. Remove the cluster. Remove the glove box door. Remove the trim around the radio, vents, and HVAC controls. Before you remove the HVAC trim, pull the light switch out to the first notch, and under the dash on the bottom of the switch is a push button that lets you remove the pull knob. Depress it, and pull the knob out. Remove the radio & HVAC controls. Then there are 5-6 bolts that hold the top of the dash to the windshield base, and two bolts under the dash, one on each side, at the A-pillar. Loosen the two bolts, but don't remove them. Once the upper bolts are removed, you should be able to pivot the dash down, unhook all the wiring, and pull it off the side bolts.

Like I said, it sucks, but is easier than a Daytona... A Daytona has the whole center console to worry about as well...

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Nice part is you can clean any pivot points and make sure all the door work correctly. I did it with mine a couple months ago and the doors move so much easier now.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Nice part is you can clean any pivot points and make sure all the door work correctly. I did it with mine a couple months ago and the doors move so much easier now.
    +1, and the foam seals inside are probably toast after all these years. I replaced all of them in mine when I had it apart 4 years ago doing the total restoration. I used the 1/8" thick A/C foam pre-filter you can get at any hardware store for my seals. Works like a charm, and a 16"x24" sheet is only a couple bucks.

Mitsu booster

I'll probably try and (start) tackling this tomorrow when I have the day off- hopefully I'll be able to knock it out over Friday and Saturday.

For the foam seals, are you referring to something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...Filter/1196229

If so, what did you use for adhesive?

I was thinking that adhesive weatherstripping would work better, something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Frost-King-...70_&dpSrc=srch

Quote Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
    I'll probably try and (start) tackling this tomorrow when I have the day off- hopefully I'll be able to knock it out over Friday and Saturday.

For the foam seals, are you referring to something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...Filter/1196229

If so, what did you use for adhesive?

I was thinking that adhesive weatherstripping would work better, something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Frost-King-...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Yes to the first link. The entire doors are covered in the 1/8" stuff. So you cannot use the thicker stuff. Now, you can use the thicker stuff to replace the seal between the cold air inlet on top of the heater box & the opening in the cowl.

I just used contact adhesive to attach the foam to the blend doors.

Here is a picture of it reassembled:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130825_0002.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	61682

Of course, mine didn't have factory A/C, so my heater box is smaller & configured differently than yours. You should have 2 blend doors in yours.

Mitsu booster

Ah, OK. I kind of wish I'd been able to grab a non-AC setup from one of the Rampages in the junkyard I was at last weekend since I have no intention of putting the AC back in mine..

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
    Ah, OK. I kind of wish I'd been able to grab a non-AC setup from one of the Rampages in the junkyard I was at last weekend since I have no intention of putting the AC back in mine..
    to make you feel a little better, it's not just a drop in switch. The inlet on the boxes are in different places. The fresh air intake is in the center of the cowl for the non ac and on the passenger side for the AC.
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Mitsu booster

OK, that's good to know. Still wish I'd had more time to pull parts and that it hadn't been pouring rain.

turbo addict

also the studs on the firewall and the distance between the heater tubes is different between the ac/ non ac cars

if you haven't started yet you need to remember you have to remove the kick panels in front of each door to get at the lower dash bolts .. but first you need to get the front half of the carpet edge trim lose
    a quick , not to hard wack with a hammer and screwdriver can help get the screws loose
    this can be the biggest pain of the entire job right here at the start

to put the screws back in when done can be challenging - finding the hole with the screw - an ice pick helps a lot

Mitsu booster

The exhaust too a LOT more time than I'd hoped it would so I haven't even gotten to start on this- and may not get to this week. It's suppose to be cool and wet this next week, so I may have to postpone this and just deal with checking the coolant frequently since the Rampage is my only reasonably drivable (enclosed, I have the bicycle & scooter) vehicle and this will undoubtedly be a multi-day project.