Thread: 87 CSX MAP question

Mitsu booster

87 CSX MAP question

I have an 87 CSX I just got running 3-4 weeks ago. The location of the MAP sensor is on right side strut tower as is normal for most vehicles I've dealt with (up to 88?). However.. the car has a hi perf. computer so I was told, with the MAP installed in the module (behind the right side kick panel). I guess my question is on a stock 87 CSX where is the MAP supposed to be located ? Confusing...
    Thanks to any and all who respond. G.P.

turbo addict

Re: 87 CSX MAP question

Map should be on right strut tower (external) like you thought. I would pull the computer out and read numbers on the outside as well as the on circuit board. Seems odd, but maybe someone installed either a 86 GLHS LM or case is a 86 case with 87 circuit board inside. On early 87 cars, they sometimes used a plastic cover which fit in place of where the internal MAP sensor would have been on previous year. If it is an 86 GLHS LM, then a couple wires should have been changed on the harness. Power loss light and distance sensor (VSS) needs to be changed. Is external MAP hooked up? Is internal Map hooked up? Post up what you find.
    Todd

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Might have come from a GLHS where they wanted to keep it "stock" so the MAP was put on the kick panel module
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Mitsu booster

MAP situation is resolved. LM is behind the kick panel but my fault didn't notice the MAP was just a cover, correct MAP is on the strut tower. LM is part #p5249671. Black/yellow and purple wires are tied in somewhere else.
    Did the 87 CSX come with a slider cam or roller cam? There is a roller in there now which is fine by me. How much vacuum should I be pulling at idle? Not sure if the stock gauge is very reliable. Still runs good. My 88 T2 was 18 inches all day at idle. Thanks to any and all who respond.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The 87 cars came with slider cams. The car should pull 18-20" of vac.