Thread: Muffler placement in custom turbo exhaust

Mitsu booster

Muffler placement in custom turbo exhaust

For my GRM Challenge turbo-1 swapped Rampage, I'm working on putting together a more 'real' exhaust for it (up until now it's either run with just the downpipe cut just before where the cat would have been or a 90-degree angle and straight pipe out under the side of the car to comply with the competition rules).

I grabbed one half of the exhaust system off of a newer V8 Ram truck from the junkyard which includes a muffler and good bit of 2.25" OD exhaust pipe. I've worked out, in general, how to use it to make the exhaust system but I'm curious about whether I can put the muffler where it looks most convenient- right after the downpipe- or whether I need to try and push it further back with a few feet of pipe between the downpipe and the muffler so that it doesn't interfere with the exhaust flow from the turbo.

Essentially, can I put the muffler where the cat was without messing with the turbo, or does it need to be further away (not going to be THAT far back though, will still be in the tunnel under the center of the truck). Thanks!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Muffler placement in custom turbo exhaust

My Scamp has 2 1/2" pipe all the way back. I have a glass packed muffler in the tunnel right between the seats. So it's about 12" behind the downpipe. Works great right there. Makes nice noises when you step on it, but isn't bad just cruising.

Mitsu booster

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking at doing, though the pipe I have is 2 1/4". The consensus among the GRMers when I asked there is that I really need at least 2.5" if not 3" for running it full-bore at the competition, but I'll probably go ahead with using what I have to put together a streetable exhaust and work on finding the bigger pipes to swap in for the competition.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yeah, most guys will tell you these motors need at least 2 1/2" pipe to really let the turbo do it's thing. I know with mine, at about 2000 rpm the boost comes on like a freight train, and it gets really exciting...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Best to go with 3"

Columbia Mandrel Bends, a vendor on here, sells a "box of bends" in aluminized steel for cheap
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia