Thread: What bearings for OBX in a late model a413?

Garrett booster

What bearings for OBX in a late model a413?

I've picked up a NOS OBX that's been gone through by TU and I'm getting a ring gear spacer made. What I'm having trouble finding is what bearings I need to use on each end.

The passenger side seems to be the same as stock a413 *I think*, but the driver side is what I'm having trouble with. Since I have a larger bearing retainer with my later model transmission(s), I'd like to use an equivalent larger OD bearing, but it looks like the OBX is smaller on the drivers end compared to my stock large bearing diff.

Is there a bearing that anyone knows of that is normally used?

Garrett booster

Re: What bearings for OBX in a late model a413?

If that's the case I think you have to use the smaller retainer. The 5-speeds never got the bigger bearings AFAIK. I'm pretty sure the only reason Chrysler used the bigger bearing on the a413 was to eliminate the need to produce two different sized retainers. The a604 uses the same part and it needed the bigger passenger side bearing for the AWD setups. There are some transmissions that only have one big bearing and some that have both big bearings. I've personally never seen the big bearing setup in person. Hope that helps but if nothing else go to a industrial bearing place and have them check their database for a bearing that will fit. Where I live there's a store called motion industries that sells every bearing you can imagine.

Garrett booster

If there's no issues with strength, wear or failure, I don't mind just sourcing a new small bearing retainer, I just thought it was upgraded for strength. Both the diff and the retainer were changed to accommodate the larger bearing on the driver side.

We have a Motion Industries also I believe, along with a local Houma Bearing that can get anything. I'll probably give them a shot before I try to source a new retainer.

I *may* have found one that could be made to work, but it may be too wide and instead of 1.4961" ID, it's 1.500" ID. It's TIMKEN 2788 & 2766, or a few other numbers with the same measurements. I need to reverify the correct large bearing part number and specs though. Too many numbers...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

It was ugraded for strength. The a413 diffrential sold by Peloquins includes the larger bearing and retainer.

https://peloquins.com/a413/

Garrett booster

Yes, I know the Peloquin does. If you want to give me another $750, I'll gladly sell this OBX and buy a Peloquin.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guhfluh View Post
    Yes, I know the Peloquin does. If you want to give me another $750, I'll gladly sell this OBX and buy a Peloquin.
    My point was that Chrysler made the bearing bigger for added strength.

Garrett booster

Gotcha.

I may be able to get a sleeve machined up for the difference in ID and still use the later bearing and retainer...?